Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a set of crash bars for my 2001 FX650 Vigor. Is the frame different to a SLR frame. Does the Dominator have the same frame. There seems to a number of different model numbers starting with RD 0?. Does anyone know what the model number is for the Vigor. Just acquired the Vigor and it needs a little refurbishment but I am keen to tidy it up. I am 71 years old and was looking for a smaller cc bike [250cc or above with a maximum of 2 cyclinders] which is lighter but hopefully this will keep me on the road.

Attachments

·
Stone Crazy
5,312 Posts
You can just make out the Honda bars on mine here , unfortunately NLA from Honda and it took me ages to find a set on ebay ,

Attachments

·
Steve
61 Posts
i own a blue one 2002 reg only has 7k! milage,it doesnt have a bashplate or an engine guard,very hard to find,unless you try to have them fabricated? would be grateful if you come across an extra set let me know an i will do same

·
Registered
37 Posts
I fitted an NX bashplate to the FX I've just rebuilt, it came with a pair of the original chrome engine bars....unfortunately I sold them (along with a lot of other SLR/FX parts) to a local breaker....will get in touch and see if he still has them!

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks...it rides nicely. Theres a fair weight saving over the stock bike, the forks are 400 Bandit with YSS valves which fit directly in the Honda yokes....also means you get a better front brake...about 20mm bigger disc, that one (its the 8th one I've built) has a standard motor but still a nippy little bike! Heres a couple more....

sr01.jpg

Attachments

·
Steve
61 Posts
the 8th! thats fantastic!
youre a seasoned pro then when it comes to the fx-slr etc..so is it possible to fit an SLR bashplate to the FX Vigor?,i think you have to weld a few lugs to the frame which kinda put me off cos of the oil an all in the frame and welding it...is is not a bit risky?i am just looking to bolt one on like the first pic you have of the black one,also i got new tyres on me bike ,chain sprocket pads bike seems to be almost violently shuddering when in higher revs going up the gears 3rd to 4th?dont remember it being like that before or mybe its me i dont know..any thoughts:confused:
No.62? is that your bike collection? or where is that?

·
Registered
37 Posts
The bashplate on the black bike is an NX one....it does need 3 brackets welded to the frame but none in the part where oil is contained. That bike had a complete rebuild so I did it on a bare frame....would be a tricky business doing it with the motor in place I'd think!
Hard to say what the shuddering business is caused by but my first thought if you have new tyres fitted would be to check that, either not correctly fitted or badly out of balance....
The no.62 bike is at this years Bikeshed show....

·
Steve
61 Posts
yes the front tyre was really badly fitted and i brought the bike back and it was defltted rim lube reinflated but yes the tyres for sure thank you,the bike only has 7800 miles and i think its genuine kind of makes me want to hold onto it for while its 2002 but its a 2000 model built in the spanish factory montessa,it the midnight blue
those builds are great tho,love the engines was the engine head and all the casings removed and shot blasted to be repainted?or whats involved to repaint an engine?say for my case,i have a garage and i was a timed served motor tech but that was several lifetimes ago! but what i mean is what would the best way for me to clean my engine up its stone chip scraps fins showing some corrosion,tank has some scraps and chips around the cap from filling going rusty,engine paint bubbles corrosion scrap it off bare metal,im sure you know exactly what im talking about,i have a very low budget(im skint!)

·
Registered
37 Posts
The right way to paint an engine is to strip it, vapour blast all the castings seperately then paint and bake them in an oven, I use VHT paints only, primer, colour then lacquer. But its pricey, if you've stripped the motor you've got to buy a gasket set and replace bits like oil seals, cam chain etc and in the end its going to cost £400 odd....
With a low mileage motor like yours I'd be tempted to paint it all in one go....pull it out of the frame, plug up the ports etc, degrease and power wash it, rub down any bits of the old coating that are flaking, give it a really good clean again with panel wipe and then paint. It'll look better too if you take out most of the case bolts....temporarily replace with old ones while you paint...then give the original ones a good clean up and put them back in after.
Best place I know for VHT is....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/partsorama/VHT-PAINT-AEROSOLS/_i.html?_storecat=1800182011

Attachments

·
Steve
61 Posts
your advice is really appreciated,i hope you wont mind when i annoy you cos im trying to get the engine back in! its very easy dismantling things but canbe harder when putting it all back together..but thats all part of the fun eh?
ive put new handlebars on puig nose cone 8inch headlamp twin horns,tyres mich annakee 3,pads,gold n black did chain which came with a split pin so ive ordered a master rivit link,honda pads rear sprocket(lost new front one but original still good 7k miles) and new grips,new pillion footrest rubbers and a crossbar-handlebar strenghtener oh and got a secondhand luggage rack which i fitted a givi topbox onto,changed the oil castrol 1 ,spark plug,airfilter,oil filter and finally a wee numberplate on the back lol
Steve:thumbup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks good Steve! Btw I talked to the breaker I sold a load of spare FX bits to.....he's already sold the engine bars....sorry!

·
Steve
61 Posts
no probs thanks for asking,still having issues with the shuddering,its the front tyre not seated correctly(tyre bloke who fitted it is a numbskull) second time back with them,they deflatted it sprayed soapy liquid to tyre and rim inflated it to 110psi!!,then sent me off again,its a little better but still not right,the bloke who fitted the rear tyre was off today and he seems to know what hes doing so will have to go back tomorrow again...oh the joy!

·
Stone Crazy
5,312 Posts
Feck me 110 psi. It says on them a pressure not to exceed usually. And it's not anywhere near 110. I thought I was taking a risk blowing mine to 80. I use a paint on lube. And if it still does not come out properly I belt it with a rubber mallet on the tread near the place that is stuck

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Steve
61 Posts
i know! 110psi,i think these guys are basically a bunch of farmers used to blowing tractor tyres,funny tho they were reccomended to me by a fellow who has tiger(maybe the four legged type)
i was waiting for my lovely new michelin to pop when he said 110psi,when he told me that they were good at fitting bike tyres he did say to ask for gary and gary did fit the rear tyre ok i think(he is a scooter frak has one that does 100mph)
paint on lube na they just use the spray on soapy solution,im goin back tomorrow cos gary should be there and am goin to voice my opinions to them!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts