·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
WELL, I popped over to Chesterfield today to try one - the nearest dealer with an X Country in stock, albeit a bit overpriced.....

BMW G 650 X MOTO | eBay
On the ride over, a huge array of thoughts run through the mind, the main one - it's going to have to be one hell of a bike to make me want to part with one, maybe two of my Alps AND shell out nearly 3 1/2 k.......

I love the theory; a compact, lightweight bike (160kg fully fuelled) with perky performance, agile handling & upright riding position, ABS, all road ability & up to 80 mpg consumption in a neatly styled package. Sounds great, in a world where overweight, oversize (IMHO) bikes are becoming the norm.

True, the 650X offered zesty performance in a 'remote' artificial way that all modern vehicles do, the engine was a bit vibey (not too bad), with agile handling & a lightweight feel with decent if not top class brakes - but for some reason the bike didn't scream "buy me!"
Sure I liked it & maybe if I find an X Country at a bargain price I could be tempted to sell an Alp for one.
The itch is still there, just not as strong as it was......

Thanks for all the input, Phil

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Phil, you need a go on my XT660R. I have put a Metal Mule 1:1 exhaust on it which has lost about 10kg of high up weight and cant you tell. Its also fookin' loud so added at least 10mph to it. :D Fuelling at low revs has gone a bit weird which is fixable in a couple of ways but its not really that bad. There's also about 6cm more ground clearance too if i ever get round to off roading it.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Phil, you need a go on my XT660R. I have put a Metal Mule 1:1 exhaust on it which has lost about 10kg of high up weight and cant you tell. Its also fookin' loud so added at least 10mph to it. :D Fuelling at low revs has gone a bit weird which is fixable in a couple of ways but its not really that bad. There's also about 6cm more ground clearance too if i ever get round to off roading it.
Doh, don't start complicating things Austin

I wasn't even looking for or wanting another bike until Saturday at Ripley when I saw the 650X and thought "ooh, that looks nice!"

Phil

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You need a good ride on one, couple of hours

Why not the Xchallenge instead?
I kind of like the basic understated looks of the 'country' & don't want/need anything dedicated to offroad.
I think that you are right, a good long run to familiarise. At 1st it was a bit "errm" after a while the bike was buzzing along lovely & we were just starting to bond - I think...

A female had the bike, everything was lowered shock preload was on max but damping on zero - I thought the shock was buggered (it was like zebedee) at 1st so made some basic midway settings in the shop, comfy riding position - bit like a "compact Alp" with a rock hard seat!

Cheers for the input Johnny, much appreciated
Phil

·
Registered
407 Posts
I kind of like the basic understated looks of the 'country' & don't want/need anything dedicated to offroad.
I think that you are right, a good long run to familiarise. At 1st it was a bit "errm" after a while the bike was buzzing along lovely & we were just starting to bond - I think...

A female had the bike, everything was lowered shock preload was on max but damping on zero - I thought the shock was buggered (it was like zebedee) at 1st so made some basic midway settings in the shop, comfy riding position - bit like a "compact Alp" with a rock hard seat!

Cheers for the input Johnny, much appreciated
Phil
For me, they have all the attributes of the older F650GS & Dakar
  • 6000 miles service intervals
  • 100k + miles reliability (with correct maintenance and the water pump service @ 30k)
  • Excellent 70mpg+ (some have got as high as 90mpg on smaller roads, less than 50mpg)
  • Some interchange with bling/parts from earlier bikes
  • Goods parts availability
  • Proven Rotax engine
  • Brilliant Fi
However the G650X series is
  • 40kg lighter
  • better chassis with alloy frame/subframe and swingarm
  • much improved suspension, with USD forks too (linkless PDS shock, so no linkage to fail and therefore less maintenance)
  • more power - 53bhp and better torque (versus 50bhp for the F650GS/Dakar and only 48bhp for G650GS/Sertao and my AT only had 60bhp and weighed loads more)
  • Better built (in the Aprillia factory, not BMW plant in Germany) with loads of Italian componetry
Only downsides originally were
  • Price (new)
  • tank range - 150 miles (but can be improved fairly cheaply)
  • only made in 2007, so aftermarket stuff is ok, but not plentiful and you have to search a bit more - Wunderlich have loads for the XCountry though
  • seat - Corbin for the XCountry is best, XChallenge is only modded by a re-upholsterer
  • screen - lack of, but loads of options for the Xcountry, I have one for the Xchallenge from another owner who makes them and it's like a rally screen, does a good job
  • Airshock on XChallenge only - plenty of options for change with Wilbers/Hagon/Ohlins/Hyperpro though, Sachs on the XCountry seems fine for the use intended. I quite like the airshock though, now I'm used to it
I've had my XChallenge for 5 years and can't see a reason to sell, sure a KTM 690 looks good on paper and is ok to ride, but it costs more, the Fi is inferior and the bike has it's faults and compared to the XChallenge, it has less suspension travel - so even the mighty Orange isn't faultless and costs a lot more and has lower service intervals and the weight different is only 3-4kg

I've ridden the XCountry and it's a lovely bike, however for me I prefer the taller XChallenge which is better for offroad for me

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Had a ride on a X-Country today and was most disappointed.
Having done some researching I thought from specs it should suit me for soft-roading essentially a larger SL230/Serrow.
However the steering did not suit me, heavy straight ahead going to very light off centre, steering seemed OK statically, tyre seemed correctly inflated . Engine was rougher and mechanically nosier than TA and lacked the grunt and linear delivery of the TA but the power was there in the end. This example had done 24000 ish miles 2 owners looked a bit tired but one of the mechanics was using to commute 50 miles a day so assume it was reliable..
Phil you have had both was this a poor or typical example although yours looked much better in the pics than this one. XCountry.jpg

·
Registered
407 Posts
Had a ride on a X-Country today and was most disappointed.
Having done some researching I thought from specs it should suit me for soft-roading essentially a larger SL230/Serrow.
However the steering did not suit me, heavy straight ahead going to very light off centre, steering seemed OK statically, tyre seemed correctly inflated . Engine was rougher and mechanically nosier than TA and lacked the grunt and linear delivery of the TA but the power was there in the end. This example had done 24000 ish miles 2 owners looked a bit tired but one of the mechanics was using to commute 50 miles a day so assume it was reliable..
Phil you have had both was this a poor or typical example although yours looked much better in the pics than this one. View attachment 25089
Shame you didn't like it

How much were they asking?

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Hi Dave, mine was a tidy one (with similar miles), the specs sound great, pokey, efficient & light with a day long comfy seat BUT irrespective of what anyone says, the 2 gallon tank isn't enough, & the suspension is softly sprung (no problem) but hideously over damped & harsh spoiling the type of roads that these bikes should be great on.

Overall, it felt a bit 'fragile'. At first I loved it but soom hated it.
The engine was perky in 'easy' going conditions, load it & it felt 'orrible.

Very different to an Alp but in no way are the XCo as rugged, dependable, flexible or forgiving as an Alp......

Phil

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Well Phil you had your blooming chance when I sold my LMF!!!:D
Tank bigger than your house.
Simple tappet maintenance with no episodes of conking out in the heat:D
Comfy seat
Tubeless rims
Great travel suspension
£1250
Perfect:D

That'll teach Ya! :D:D

·
Stone Crazy
5,304 Posts
Saw one last weekend at the rose and crown show near Crediton

·
Registered
151 Posts
I should add my bit as i am on my 4th bmw g 650 x moto and in my opinion it is very well set up and rides excellent , see MCN review of the x moto , i rode this bike 460 mile home no problem it will get to 60 in 4.1 seconds and i have seen 3 figures on it and its still planted you can use all the available power and it outstanding in the twistie roads , as for tank range its easily 120 miles and i just accept that fact ive never been caught out . Im sure all bikes in the g 650 range have different set up . Iwould say the x moto is one of the best bikes i have ever owned compared to my other singles like ktm 690 duke , bmw f 650 gs dakar , honda xl 600 lmf ,honda nx 650

·
Registered
407 Posts
I should add my bit as i am on my 4th bmw g 650 x moto and in my opinion it is very well set up and rides excellent , see MCN review of the x moto , i rode this bike 460 mile home no problem it will get to 60 in 4.1 seconds and i have seen 3 figures on it and its still planted you can use all the available power and it outstanding in the twistie roads , as for tank range its easily 120 miles and i just accept that fact ive never been caught out . Im sure all bikes in the g 650 range have different set up . Iwould say the x moto is one of the best bikes i have ever owned compared to my other singles like ktm 690 duke , bmw f 650 gs dakar , honda xl 600 lmf ,honda nx 650
Been out on my XCountry today and it's a fine bike

Unbelievabley smooth for a single, where any vibes are low

Good spread of power, which will see over 100mph and will easily cruise at 75-85mph, yielding over 70mpg

Very pleased with mine:D

21 - 35 of 35 Posts