Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ride will start from the campsite at about 9.30am or earlier if we are all ready. But please aim to be ready to ride at around 9.20am for a pre-ride briefing.

The route is around 140miles tent door to tent door with the first and only fuel around 100miles in. I suspect we won't be back at the campsite until about 6pm. Please be fuelled up for the full distance before we start as this year we are not going past the fuel station in Dalry. Please bear in mind most bikes do significantly lower mpg on the trails.

There are no cafes en-route and any stops other than fuel will be in the forest for photos and general rests including a longer one for lunch. Please bring food and drink to last the day.

The weather forecast looks to be showery so waterproofs may be required. There's no deep fords and the trails should be fine to ride but no doubt wet in places. The route is a mix of trails from previous years and some new ones and there are likely to be a few deliberate dead ends but hopefully some great views and good riding. We will be going up the hill to the mast as a finale.

The official speed limit in the forest is 15mph and I will be giving this the same regard as I do every year. The ride will be conducted safari style, that means I am in front and no one overtakes me. I expect the rest of you to ride sensibly with minimal overtaking, riding with respect and due regard of each other and other forestry users. This is a mixed ability group so please take care. It is also a bank holiday weekend in Scotland do we can expect to find other people using the forest.

As well as fuel please make sure your bike is ready for the trip, in particular if certain nuts and bolts have a habit of coming loose then tighten them and check a couple of times during the ride.

If someone breaks down or falls off them everyone behind should stop, take photos, then help. The people in front will soon realise no one is following and should stop and wait a few minutes before turning round. If someone is sent forward then please ride with care as you will eventually meet someone coming back the other way. We don't want a small incident to turn into something much worse.

If you are a first aider or have a first aid kit please let me know before we start.

If you get lost for some reason retrace the route as best you can until you reach a metalled road. Then head south or west (general direction of the sun) until you reach or get signs for Newton Stewart. Best place to wait will be the petrol station on the east side of the river in NS. My number is 07969 057873 try ringing or texting so we know you are safe. We won't send a search party until you are well overdue at the campsite.

I think that's all. Let's have a great day out.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Hill Rider
3,070 Posts
. . . The ride will be conducted safari style . .
Austins Adventures - Galloway Safari! I like the sound of that :D :thumbup:

If someone breaks down or falls off them everyone behind should stop, take photos, then help. . . . .
Nice to see priorities set correctly :thumbup:

Looking forward to a great weekend - Cheers again Austin

Steve T

:cool:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Safari-style? That makes a zebra a tad nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up Austin.

Must remember to pack grub for the day!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
thanks for the good advice :)
My DR does about 150km (max) to the tank, possibly less on the trail. Should be able to fit a 1L bottle of fuel in the tail pack but d'you think we could steal fuel from a.n.other if it runs out?

·
Registered
773 Posts
thanks for the good advice :)
My DR does about 150km (max) to the tank, possibly less on the trail. Should be able to fit a 1L bottle of fuel in the tail pack but d'you think we could steal fuel from a.n.other if it runs out?
just bring a syphon tube. I have 15L/190 miles on the drz and I am sure others have large tanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I seem to remember being on the receiving side of photos first......!
I have a 1 or 2 litre can (can't remember the size now!) that I'll bring along for anyone that's worried.
Ian

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be carrying 4 litres of spare fuel. Elle I am sure between us we will get you to a filling station if needs be.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Geriatric Teenager
101 Posts
I will be bringing four 1litre fuel bottles to Galloway for anyone who wants one. Redundant College sports dept kit. A few scuffs/dents, but very serviceable. Donations appreciated to the RNLI.
Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts