Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
View attachment MAG - RISK ASSESSMENT galloway forest ride (2).doc View attachment risk assessemnt galloway 2011.doc The Scottish Forestry Commission have now confirmed that they are OK for us to ride the bikes through the Galloway forest again. The dates will be meet on Friday 29th (this is a bank holiday for the Royal Wedding), ride through the forest on Forestry Tracks on Saturday and make our way home on Sunday. This is a numbers limited event - first 25 names in the calendar.

I will pre-plan a full day's riding for the Saturday and this time I will aim to make it more of a mix of road and trail - not least because if we camp at the Loch Ken campsite again there is a fair distance to get to the area of the forest I aim to ride through this time.

On the assumption that the tracks where I aim to go are similar to last time this is an easy introduction to off roading and is suitable for beginners on any dual sport style bike. Speeds are limited to 25-30mph which is plenty most of the time.

I will pre-book a campsite - now confirmed as being Galloway Activity centre link....Welcome to Galloway Activity Centre.... where as well as camping there are huts, Teepees and a Yurt for hire. Cost per night is £6.50 and I have made a reservation and paid a deposit in my name for 25-30 people. Huts are now fully booked. The GAC have asked for a full list of attendees so please do include your name and that of anyone else you are bringing with you.

There will also be a fee payable to the forestry commission. If the same as last year this will be £100 plus £5 per bike - now confirmed the entry fee will be £10 payable in advance.

We are all also obliged to prove we have third party insurance (your normal bike insurance will cover it). Copies will need to be sent to me before the event. Please start sending me photocopies, PDF files, emails, or scans of your insurance certificate to be in force on 30th April. Send to "Baron Austin Winckler, 40, Croston Road, Garstang, Lancs PR3 1HR". Email to austin at winckler dot org dot uk Please include your forum name somewhere with the insurance and you may as well include the tenner (cash is easier please). If you want to do a bank transfer please PM me and I will send you the details.

If you don't want to post your certificate you can bring it to the event but as the 29th is a bank holiday this means visiting the SFC office in Newton Stewart on 28th April - I will be there in the afternoon to sign the contracts etc.

I am neither subsidising nor making a profit from this - if I am short at the start I expect a suitable supplement; if I have a surplus it will go to the TLD charity.

Names down in the calendar ASAP please so I know I get on with the organising.. Thanks

Update 7th April 2011: In addition to the ride through the forest on Saturday 30th there will be a road based ride out on Friday 29th starting at approx 1pm for those who arriving "early". Please let me know if you plan to join this. First thoughts are this will be down to the lighthouse at the Mull of Galloway - the most Southerly point in Scotland - with a stop at some sort of eco visitor centre en route and will take in some nice twisties, some very minor roads and if time a visit to Port Logan - location for 2000 acres of sky. Total distance probably around 120miles dependent on exact route.

Final arrangements:
I am leaving mine at about 8.30am on Thursday 28th to pick up the keys to the forest from the SFC office in Stainton at about 12.00. I will be arriving at the Loch Ken Activity Centre campsite at about 2ish.

Friday 29th: Rideout leaving at about 1pm to Mull of Galloway lighthouse and visitor centre and Port Logan. Return to campsite at 6 ish.

Saturday 30th: Forest rideout leaving at 10am (earlier if we are all there). Back to campsite at 6 ish.

Sunday 1st: No plans other than return to your nearests and dearests.

SOME POINTERS FOR THE FOREST RIDEOUT:
· The rules of the highway apply to the forest roads as much as they do to the tarmac roads we have left behind.
· This is NOT an extreme off road event and I have deliberately not sought out challenging tracks.
· I can take no responsibility for your actions, riding or participation in this event you do so at your own risk but against the following key points.
· I will lead the ride and control the pace and route. I will try to keep the group together by ensuring I can always see at least 2-3 riders behind me. If everyone else does the same the group WILL stay together and go at the pace of the slowest rider. Please keep in front of the designated back-marker/sweeper.
· There is no need to speed to keep the group together.
· If we come across walkers/mountain bikers/horse riders I will slow down or stop and turn the engine off. Please do the same.

· If you get lost….or fall behind….or fall off….
· do not speed to try and catch up. If you have fallen off stay with your bike. I will be stopping frequently so will soon realise we are missing someone and will return back down the route to find you. You could try phoning me (07969 057873) or someone else in the group if you have numbers but mobile phone reception is poor to non-existent.
· wait by your bike for 30-45 minutes. If we haven’t found you by then turn around and ride back the way you/we have come until you reach tarmac and wait there.
· The longest off road sections are around 6-8 miles so if you haven’t reached tarmac after that sort of distance you are riding in circles.
· If so STOP, calm down, and take 5-10 minutes to assess your situation. The tarmac roads tend to be on a North/South line. Head for something that looks likely, or try and keep the sun/brightest bit of sky mostly to one side or the other. This will take more you or less East or West and you will find a road.
· Once on a tarmac road wait until we find you. I will have strategies to ensure we can find someone if they wait by the road.
· If you really can’t wait to be found please leave something to help us realise you have gone – a note would be best but anything obvious would help, then head south.
· Our rendezvous if this happens is in Newton Stewart at the petrol station on the east side of the bridge over the river.

The Forest Roads
· Most of the forestry roads should not be a problem on our type of bikes. But you might anticipate the following hazards on the road
· Other users of the forest and wild animals – be especially alert near junctions of minor forestry tracks, fire breaks and footpaths. No one will be expecting to find 250Kg of motorbike in the middle of the track.
· Ruts in the track – best advice is don’t cross them other than at right angles. If you must cross look for a clear gap, be very positive, lean back and give the throttle a tweak to push the front over. The back should follow.
· Rain will make the roads slippery and you need to be careful with puddles and small rivulets crossing the track if it’s been wet. Wood, branches or logs lying around will be very slippery too – don’t ride over them unless you have to.
· Be careful and ride within your limits.

Timing and distance
· The ride out will be about 120 miles in total. The first and last 20-30miles being on tarmac. There are filling stations in St John’s Town of Dalry (outward) and in Newton Stewart (return).
· We will leave the campsite at 10am (earlier if we are all ready) and should be back by 6pm.
· I will stop somewhere in the forest for LUNCH which you will need to bring with you.
· We will also stop later in the day at the visitor centre/café at Glentrool.
· There will be lots of stops to look at scenery, wildlife or whatever and take in views take photos etc.

Other items
· I have completed 2 risk assessments for this ride – one for the SFC and one for XRV’s insurance. Please read them and ensure you understand what is expected of you.
· If you are first aid qualified please let me know before we start. If you have a first aid kit whether qualified or not also let me know. I have just completed an emergency first aid course and will be carrying a small first aid kit.

PLEASE ASK ANY QUESTIONS BEFORE WE SET OFF

Have a great ride and thanks for coming

Austin

This post will be updated from time to time as the meet develops.

Updated 12th Jan in red: main addition is that I need a copy of your insurance cert, a tenner, and if staying at GAC the name of anyone you are bringing along for a ride (Stan - you will be OK as you have booked direct).

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Austin, are there any harder type trails to try? eg that track we turned round at last time.

Maybe split into a couple of parties for the Saturday ride?

Me and the missus will be attending again. Camping this time.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Austin, are there any harder type trails to try? eg that track we turned round at last time.

Maybe split into a couple of parties for the Saturday ride?

Me and the missus will be attending again. Camping this time.
trouble is mike is that it is difficult to do a proper recce as I can't ride the Motor bike round and time and my fitness levels limit how far I can get on a mountain bike to have a look see. The SFC are also keen to keep us on the main tracks - a lot of what we did last time was not on the pre- recce'd tracks, including where we turned round - it was ok as we had permission for the general area but mostly I hadn't been down the tracks before.

What this isn't though is a hard core off road trek. It is a fairly gentle intro to riding on forest tracks and getting to places that we would never normally be
allowed to ride bikes.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
No problem Austin. Was worth asking. Still enjoyed it last time so happy with the normal forest tracks.

Thanks for organising these events. It is appreciated by all. Both Galloway and Piel are great locations that we would not normally get to see. Cant wait for both.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Thanks Austin

Name's in t'calendar. I should be somewhere else that weekend so I'll do the garden shed thingy and leave early o'clock Sunday to get to where I would have been in Wales - got to get some more brownie points

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
I will pre-plan a full day's riding for the Saturday and this time I will aim to make it more of a mix of road and trail - not least because if we camp at the Loch Ken campsite again there is a fair distance to get to the area of the forest I aim to ride through this time.
Will you be providing any refreshments ?....sandwiches, pop and crisps ?. camp beds for an afternoon nap ?.:rolleyes:.

I have actually come to expect a "certain standard" from your events Mr W.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot. Do pillions count towards the numbers or is it classed as 1 bike? ( i.e 20 bike limit)

:D:D:D:D.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Oh yeah, nearly forgot. Do pillions count towards the numbers or is it classed as 1 bike? ( i.e 20 bike limit)

Good point Stan :thumbright: a question I was thinkin too ;)

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will you be providing any refreshments ?....sandwiches, pop and crisps ?. camp beds for an afternoon nap ?.:rolleyes:.

I have actually come to expect a "certain standard" from your events Mr W.

it's bring a lunchbox. Personally mine will be well filled.....quails eggs and other fine foods - got standards to maintain ain't I!!!

Good point Stan :thumbright: a question I was thinkin too ;)
it's bikes that count not pillions. I have suggested a max of 25 to the forestry again and they haven't said no.

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
Austin / All Attendee's

I have just managed to book a cabin for this event, anyone who is thinking of a cabin or bunkhouse instead of camping do it NOW !!!.

The guy at GAC said they may have a corporate bash on the same weekend ( they are awaiting conformation ) so spaces may be limited.

Cheers.:thumbup:.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I emailed GAC yesterday afternoon asking to book up to 25 camping pitches and anyone who wanted a cabin would bok direct. I haven't heard back yet.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Austin, what are the facilities like?. I didn't make this one last year.

I don't so much mind roughing it but i have to have my hair dryer! :D:D:D
Galloway Activity Centre is a bit of weird place. It is mainly set up for hosting groups of youngsters doing various outdoor activities - sailing, kayaks, mountain bikes and stuff but also does corporate/stag do type stuff like zip wires, laser quest, and so on. Its a big lake side site with loads of space - there's bunk houses, wood cabins, Teepees and a Yurt as well as space for caravans and camping. Facilities are all in the main building with showers and loos being of the locker / changing room type (showers in cubicles). They are fine but you do run the risk of being in there at the same time as a dozen snotty nosed cheeky kids. There's also a cafe that does all meals - book lunch and evening meal in advance although its all a bit casual but in a good way. The centre also has some indoor meeting space - but likely to get full with any groups using the outdoor stuff.

In short you will be able dry your hair somewhere or other - in fact you may even get one of the outdoor instructoress's to do it for you.

I think we all thought this was a good base last year - we had a nice big space cleared for us to camp in, we were pretty much left to ourselves despite nicking picnic tables and the odd off road sortie by bike around the campsite (Jim!!!) and surprisngly we weren't the noisiest group on the site or the last to bed. But everyone on site seemed to be like minded in their hedonistic attitude so no problems at all.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
24 names now so one spot left - get in now if you want to go.

I have heard from Archie again at the Forestry - we are definitely OK, I need to plans the routes and then visit for a recce, complete the risk assessment, application form, and gather in your Insurance Certificates and payments.

I also heard back from Galloway Activity Centre. Its a bit ambiguous but I think they have reserved the camping (will phone to confirm) and Stanbloke has booked the only free cabin that weekend - they will let me know if there is a cancellation. The bunkhouse and 2 Yurts are free if any one fancies trying them out.

POST #1 UPDATED

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Austin where do we stand on riding a different bike with having to send our insurance in.

Stuarts on about coming in his van and bringing the CRf and XR and i am gonna come on my bike but then use the XR for some trail riding. I don't have insurance docs for the Xr but am covered under my own insurance to ride a second bike so long as insurance is on that bike.

I'm thinking so long as i send my insurance through and so does Stuart for the CRf and XR then we are ok?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Galloway Activity Centre is a bit of weird place. It is mainly set up for hosting groups of youngsters doing various outdoor activities - sailing, kayaks, mountain bikes and stuff but also does corporate/stag do type stuff like zip wires, laser quest, and so on. Its a big lake side site with loads of space - there's bunk houses, wood cabins, Teepees and a Yurt as well as space for caravans and camping. Facilities are all in the main building with showers and loos being of the locker / changing room type (showers in cubicles). They are fine but you do run the risk of being in there at the same time as a dozen snotty nosed cheeky kids. There's also a cafe that does all meals - book lunch and evening meal in advance although its all a bit casual but in a good way. The centre also has some indoor meeting space - but likely to get full with any groups using the outdoor stuff.

In short you will be able dry your hair somewhere or other - in fact you may even get one of the outdoor instructoress's to do it for you.

I think we all thought this was a good base last year - we had a nice big space cleared for us to camp in, we were pretty much left to ourselves despite nicking picnic tables and the odd off road sortie by bike around the campsite (Jim!!!) and surprisngly we weren't the noisiest group on the site or the last to bed. But everyone on site seemed to be like minded in their hedonistic attitude so no problems at all.

BAR ???? :D:D

1 - 20 of 234 Posts