Honda XRV Forum banner

181 - 200 of 234 Posts

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
Austin,

I'll volunteer to be the Back marker. My bike is quite distinctive ( unlike the horde of cheapo jap wannabe's that will be there !! ;)) so it is easy to spot as last man,:thumbup: are we using the drop off system ?.

I will also be carrying a First aid kit, tyre pump, tools + tyre levers and a spare inner tube.:D.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
I will also be carrying a First aid kit, tyre pump, tools + tyre levers and a spare inner tube.:D.
I also carry tools, tyre levers and front and rear spare tubes for the @'s...if they fit other types of bike..... No first aid kit though....but a camera to record the action if people fall off.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Austin,

I'll volunteer to be the Back marker. My bike is quite distinctive ( unlike the horde of cheapo jap wannabe's that will be there !! ;)) so it is easy to spot as last man,:thumbup: are we using the drop off system ?.

Thanks Stan offer accepted for back marker. Bring a dust mask :). 2nd man drop off - no it shouldn't be needed as I will try and keep the group together.

I have got a few basic tools too, along with some nuts and bolts, cable ties and other odds and sods. Also a tubeless tyre repair kit.

Sent from my iPhone with tapatalk.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
I am meeting Andrew (XT6) at Forton services (Lancaster South) on the M6 tomorrow morning to leave there at 9am. If anyone wants to join us or meet somewhere else on the M6 or A75 let me know.

Sent from my iPhone with tapatalk.

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
I also carry tools, tyre levers and front and rear spare tubes for the @'s...if they fit other types of bike..... No first aid kit though....but a camera to record the action if people fall off.
I thought you could'nt make it Mike :eek: are you and Fi coming now :D.

Austin, we should be at Gallowway late afternoon on thursday.:thumbup:.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
I thought you could'nt make it Mike :eek: are you and Fi coming now :D.:.
Im still hopeful (no Ffi this time), just wont know for sure until Friday evening hence the reason for offering my place up. My bike will be packed up this evening and I'll be heading across to my parents straight from work tomororw on it. Gives us a few hours tomorrow night and a full day Friday to get a house move done. And if its finished in time then I'll head up North to Galloway Friday night. Im sure it will all get done in a day so I'll be surprised if I dont make it up.....oh and the trails that I have to do (yes...I have to do them, its the quickest way there) on the way to my parents dont catch me out with a loaded bike.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Oy matey, less of the limpness bit :D:D

How's about we hook up at that garage in Perth at around 10am ??
Mr T is going to link up with us futher doon ra road :thumbup:
Ok John see ya there.. not packed or oot been mental busy.. and now trying to find me stuff in the garage.. let's hope the wee beasties have not nested in it :)

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Fingers crossed Mike, but who is gonna push you when you get stuck ?.;):D.
I have improved since I last saw you a year ago at Piel. I hardly drop my bike now....or get stuck much (honest!)..and unless theres ice I think I'll be OK. Famous last words.

Went to load the bike up only to find a flat front tyre. Was dreading fixing it as the last time I tried with K60's I ended up shredding the tube I was fitting. But, borrowed some decent tyre levers from Paul-S...mine are tiny and pretty crap. Job done in about 40 mins which I think is good going for me! Goes to show, right tools for the right job etc etc

Bike now loaded. Again, it always looks like I am taking too much stuff. But it does include a case of booze and plenty of soft drinks so should be lighter on the way back!!! Not taking panniers..was going to then remembered Im on the road at peak time tomorrow and cant be bothered having to worry if my panniers will take out a few cars whilst filtering, plus Friday I have Huddersfield, Halifax and Skipton to deal with.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It will be mostly snow with some sleet so leave the summer kit at home and bring your warmest bike gear :)
thats the exact forecast for the weekend, showed on daybreak this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

as beddowsm, i do not rely on bbc weather forecast :(

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
View attachment 11946 View attachment 11945

Post #1 updated with the following:
(I know this is long and comes across a bit heavy handed but....)
Final arrangements:
I am leaving mine at about 8.30am on Thursday 28th to pick up the keys to the forest from the SFC office in Stainton at about 12.00. I will be arriving at the Loch Ken Activity Centre campsite at about 2ish.

Friday 29th: Rideout leaving at about 1pm to Mull of Galloway lighthouse and visitor centre and Port Logan. Return to campsite at 6 ish.

Saturday 30th: Forest rideout leaving at 10am (earlier if we are all there). Back to campsite at 6 ish.

Sunday 1st: No plans other than return to your nearests and dearests.

SOME POINTERS FOR THE FOREST RIDEOUT:
· The rules of the highway apply to the forest roads as much as they do to the tarmac roads we have left behind.
· This is NOT an extreme off road event and I have deliberately not sought out challenging tracks.
· I can take no responsibility for your actions, riding or participation in this event you do so at your own risk but against the following key points.
· I will lead the ride and control the pace and route. I will try to keep the group together by ensuring I can always see at least 2-3 riders behind me. If everyone else does the same the group WILL stay together and go at the pace of the slowest rider. Please keep in front of the designated back-marker/sweeper.
· There is no need to speed to keep the group together.
· If we come across walkers/mountain bikers/horse riders I will slow down or stop and turn the engine off. Please do the same.

· If you get lost….or fall behind….or fall off….
· do not speed to try and catch up. If you have fallen off stay with your bike. I will be stopping frequently so will soon realise we are missing someone and will return back down the route to find you. You could try phoning me (07969 057873) or someone else in the group if you have numbers but mobile phone reception is poor to non-existent.
· wait by your bike for 30-45 minutes. If we haven’t found you by then turn around and ride back the way you/we have come until you reach tarmac and wait there.
· The longest off road sections are around 6-8 miles so if you haven’t reached tarmac after that sort of distance you are riding in circles.
· If so STOP, calm down, and take 5-10 minutes to assess your situation. The tarmac roads tend to be on a North/South line. Head for something that looks likely, or try and keep the sun/brightest bit of sky mostly to one side or the other. This will take more you or less East or West and you will find a road.
· Once on a tarmac road wait until we find you. I will have strategies to ensure we can find someone if they wait by the road.
· If you really can’t wait to be found please leave something to help us realise you have gone – a note would be best but anything obvious would help, then head south.
· Our rendezvous if this happens is in Newton Stewart at the petrol station on the east side of the bridge over the river.

The Forest Roads
· Most of the forestry roads should not be a problem on our type of bikes. But you might anticipate the following hazards on the road
· Other users of the forest and wild animals – be especially alert near junctions of minor forestry tracks, fire breaks and footpaths. No one will be expecting to find 250Kg of motorbike in the middle of the track.
· Ruts in the track – best advice is don’t cross them other than at right angles. If you must cross look for a clear gap, be very positive, lean back and give the throttle a tweak to push the front over. The back should follow.
· Rain will make the roads slippery and you need to be careful with puddles and small rivulets crossing the track if it’s been wet. Wood, branches or logs lying around will be very slippery too – don’t ride over them unless you have to.
· Be careful and ride within your limits.

Timing and distance
· The ride out will be about 120 miles in total. The first and last 20-30miles being on tarmac. There are filling stations in St John’s Town of Dalry (outward) and in Newton Stewart (return).
· We will leave the campsite at 10am (earlier if we are all ready) and should be back by 6pm.
· I will stop somewhere in the forest for LUNCH which you will need to bring with you.
· We will also stop later in the day at the visitor centre/café at Glentrool.
· There will be lots of stops to look at scenery, wildlife or whatever and take in views take photos etc.

Other items
· I have completed 2 risk assessments for this ride – one for the SFC and one for XRV’s insurance. Please read them and ensure you understand what is expected of you.
· If you are first aid qualified please let me know before we start. If you have a first aid kit whether qualified or not also let me know. I have just completed an emergency first aid course and will be carrying a small first aid kit.

PLEASE ASK ANY QUESTIONS BEFORE WE SET OFF

Have a great ride and thanks for coming

Austin
Austin, thanks for organising this event, you're an absolute star :thumbright:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Thank you for organising this salubrious event Austin.
I'm really looking forward to this soiree, & putting some names to faces this weekend, should be a great event.
See you all on Friday "Hurrah !"

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

·
Hill Rider
3,070 Posts
Gear packed & stacked onto bike. Bike fueled. Rolling plan in me head for the trip down . . . . . . . . BRING IT ON :D:D:D

181 - 200 of 234 Posts