Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys looking to improve my garage security have up and over door, have door from house to get in without using main door anyone tried garage defender device goes on outside and stops you lifting door, These are visible which is good as deterant :thumbright:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Definitely a good deterant and should stop this happening!!!:(

garage Door.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jason is that how they got your bike out ???????????????? anyone got one or could suggest good make :D

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
a mate of mine discretely converted his garage into an office. he plaster boarded all the walls and cieling but had a terrible draft from the up and over door. to resolve the draft he built a breeze block wall behind the door and then plaster boarded that, made a really snug office. when the local scumbags forced the door open they were faced with a wall :D:D:D. now thats good security if you don't want to use it as a garage.

most up and over doors are so flimsy they are never that secure, the metal used is very thin and light.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
garage defender device goes on outside and stops you lifting door, These are visible which is good as deterant :thumbright:
The other school of thought is that they advertise the fact you're protecting something. If the door is flimsy the toerags will still just fold up the corners and still get in (as happened just down the road from me a while back).

It's better to make sure the door is not foldable by reinforcing it. Fit a garage alarm (nobody takes any notice but if it's effin loud, they won't want to be in the garage with it). Floor anchors and big locks are good as long as you make sure you don't keep an angle grinder or scaffold pipe in the garage. You can get wireless webcams with motion detection on now for well under £100 so that may help identify anyone who does make it in.

·
Premium Member
7,169 Posts
Buy a crappy old car on eBay for £50-£100 and park it in front of the garage door so it can't be opened easily. This also advertises to all the scumbags in the area that you are clearly skint and only have an empty freezer in the garage!!
The car will eventually be worth more in scrap than what you paid for it, so sell it and get your money back when you move!!

:p

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Just put one of BobA's avatars on your garage. They'll be so distracted they'll forget they came to break in :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The other school of thought is that they advertise the fact you're protecting something. If the door is flimsy the toerags will still just fold up the corners and still get in (as happened just down the road from me a while back).

It's better to make sure the door is not foldable by reinforcing it. Fit a garage alarm (nobody takes any notice but if it's effin loud, they won't want to be in the garage with it). Floor anchors and big locks are good as long as you make sure you don't keep an angle grinder or scaffold pipe in the garage. You can get wireless webcams with motion detection on now for well under £100 so that may help identify anyone who does make it in.
I used to think this about visible stuff but talking to crime prevention officer they say visual deterant is way to go , and Bob there is normally a Discovery parked as tight as i can get it up agaisnt door but i'm not always there and around here the scum seem to be brave and come in daytime when most people are at work :thumbright:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Jason is that how they got your bike out ???????????????? anyone got one or could suggest good make :D
Yep, two of them prized out teh corners and just folded up, they new one dad has hasd fitted has better vertical reinforcement but we'll still put soem other security on it.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Hi guys looking to improve my garage security have up and over door, have door from house to get in without using main door anyone tried garage defender device goes on outside and stops you lifting door, These are visible which is good as deterant :thumbright:
Will

Fit some more security from the inside as you have the benefit of a door inside to your house. Some extra bolts that are not visible from the outside will prevent the door opening and not give any visible deterant that you have something to protect inside

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
On my old garage which had an up & over door, I used to put 2 1" x steel bars across the garage door up & over hinges which prevented any movement totally.

The cost was zilch as I had 2 x 1" steel bars, this tip was offered by the Police after my garage was screwed by the scroats who screwed the door handle lock.

Another top tip

·
Registered
561 Posts
get a hungry dog and arm him with a shotgun, best deterrant ever.

you can get an alarm that fires blank 12gauge cartridges.

now these will leave lads ears ringing for a long time,

down side is dont forget to diss arm it before you go in

best thing is to keep windows covered, try not leave garage open showing the world what you haveinside, try not make it obvious your wheeling a bike in and out.

otherwise, go to scrap yard and just buy a 200 bike, put cover over it as side house and lads will think you have bike outside nto inside

·
Registered
561 Posts
was an articale in tbm 3 months ago worth getting if want read, all about garage security,

baby monitors are good, oh and make sure your kit is locked up and away, no point having bike robbed and all your gear.

mate had bike taken but his race gear was worth more than the bike yet bike was locked up and gear just on a hangar

·
Premium Member
7,169 Posts
A wireless doorbell, with contact switches on the doors, connected to the bell push. Put the bell/receiver in your bedroom.

Two suitable length scaffold poles, one end embedded into the (inside) brick pier one side of the garage door, the other end secured to a suitable fixing on the other side of the door with a big padlock. Put the two bars horizontally across the garage door opening so they impede the door being lifted, and are also spaced so they can't lift the bike over or through them.

:p

·
Adventurer
587 Posts
My thinking :eek: Three scaffold poles across the back of the door, one low enough to prevent bike from going under, one high enough to stop bike going over and one in the middle.

Hoping to do some CAD drawings but the end of each pole meets the angle with valve springs to protect against hamering.

Bike then enclose around 4 lenghts of hinged and padlocked crash barrier.

Someone on ABR posted this that I like the look of..

AlarmMine12g.gif
Takes a blank shot gun cartridge. Very loud apparently..:thumbright:

Everything metal is then connected to the mains :toothy10:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Get a mains feed and put a vivarium in the garage with a python or boa, they eat a rabbit a fortnight so are cheap to keep, it also is more scary for the scrotes than a dog.

·
Motorcycling Deity
48 Posts
:cool:......I have the same set up as you; an up-and-over door and access from the house. I came up with a security device that cost all of £3, takes seconds to lock and would be impossible to get around without literally smashing down the garage door. For obvious reasons, I'm not going to put up details on a public forum but, if you PM me I'll tell you how to make it.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
All i did with my door was weld some 10mm stud bar onto th ehead of some rawl bolts and screwed them into th ewall at 45 degrees covering the top corners. Work was binning some legs from highlifters so i had them, ideal 1 1/2" box with bushed holes on the end then i just place the bars over the stud bar and screw the door shut.

DSC03424.jpg

DSC03425.jpg

DSC03426.jpg

DSC03427.jpg

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
if you're looking for an anchor type solution... I had the Y-Anchor ground anchor when I lived in London...

It's buried in the ground, so impossible to get out, very nice, not very expensive (yet more expensive than some of the DIY options other people are listing).

Y anchor - the Ultimate Motorcycle Security Ground Anchor

Best,

JB

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys some good idea's there :thumbright:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts