Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this last week off a very obliging forum member, and whilst it does everything its supposed to do, it isn't quite right for my needs, so I will give forum members another chance.

Here's the original advert along with photo's. http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/sale-wanted/44824-garmin-quest-complete-gps-outfit.html

It's a Quest 1 (which seems to be regarded as the better one for bike use anyway as it doesn't have a hard-drive) and is a complete package including the following items:
Garmin Quest 1 pocket sized GPS
City Navigator V9 full Europe mapping - DVD and unlock code.
Motorcycle cradle fitted with QPac system for power and audio.
Bike power cable with fuse and audio out cable - just connect to your intercom.
Full RAM motorcycle mounting system.
Full car kit - mounting cradle and power lead/speaker for in-car use.
Charging cradle and AC adaptor for home charging.
USB cable for data transfer to & from unit to PC.
Semi-hard carrying case (homemade admittedly but works a treat!)
All in original box, packaging and instruction booklets included for the unit & Mapsource.
All items are in excellent condition (one minor mark on rear of Quest (see pic) where it slides in & out of the bike cradle) and it all works perfectly both in the UK and abroad.
CN V9 mapping is about the most up to date that a Quest will run.

From anyone on XRV, I am looking for £149 for the whole lot including Royal Mail Special Delivery. (one went on Fleabay last week for £167 plus £12 P&P and it was V8 mapping!)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sorry to hear that it isn't what you wanted Rich.
Perhaps WiganChris might still be interested?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rich

Is the Garmin still for sale? Might be interested. Quick question though. Is it possible to link the audio to a bluetooth headset?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Yes, its still for sale.

I'm not sure if it can be linked to a Bluetooth headset is my honest answer, certainly not by Bluetooth, but there is a lead with it that I am fairly certain will plug in to a socket on your headset - I had a Scala Rider and that had a socket that I could have plugged in to from the Garmin with the lead I'm on about.

Hope this helps.

Rich

·
Registered
924 Posts
Sorry to hear that it isn't what you wanted Rich.
Perhaps WiganChris might still be interested?
Unfortunately it wouldnt be any good for me for the same reasons as Rich found.... absolutely fit for its purpose, just the wrong purpose for me :)

F

·
0 Posts
Rich, I've been thinking about getting one of these to fit to my AT. Can you expand on why it isn't right for you? I wouldn't want to buy one then find the same issue.

Cheers
David

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi David

Firstly, I'm not very computer literate, I can do the basics OK, and using this for trail riding is quite complicated for me, but having talked to other users they make it work for them very well.

Secondly, I do a lot of driving with work (I'm a Rep) and have an idiot proof tomtom in my car where I simply put in the postcode and it takes me outside the address, this doesn't have postcode 'finds' but will find any address as long as you have it in full.

Thirdly, I do a bit of trail riding with the TRF, and I draw my routes using memorymap, for these to work with the garmin the files have to be converted to mapsource (quite easy), and having spent a lot of time learning memorymap learning another one is too challenging.

Finally, the garmin has a large amount of user setting choices, I want something a bit simpler/easier to use.

So, I think I am probably saying its a bit too complicated for me. It does everything its supposed to, but it also does a lot of stuff that is of no use to me.

I think I will probably get a base model garmin etrex for trail riding, and wrap my (work) tomtom in a plastic bag and use it on my road bike.

Hope this helps.

Rich

F

·
0 Posts
Hi David

Firstly, I'm not very computer literate, I can do the basics OK, and using this for trail riding is quite complicated for me, but having talked to other users they make it work for them very well.

Secondly, I do a lot of driving with work (I'm a Rep) and have an idiot proof tomtom in my car where I simply put in the postcode and it takes me outside the address, this doesn't have postcode 'finds' but will find any address as long as you have it in full.

Thirdly, I do a bit of trail riding with the TRF, and I draw my routes using memorymap, for these to work with the garmin the files have to be converted to mapsource (quite easy), and having spent a lot of time learning memorymap learning another one is too challenging.

Finally, the garmin has a large amount of user setting choices, I want something a bit simpler/easier to use.

So, I think I am probably saying its a bit too complicated for me. It does everything its supposed to, but it also does a lot of stuff that is of no use to me.

I think I will probably get a base model garmin etrex for trail riding, and wrap my (work) tomtom in a plastic bag and use it on my road bike.

Hope this helps.

Rich
Thanks for taking the time to post Rich, that's really useful info for me.

Cheers
David

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hi David

Hope this helps.

Rich
If you want to use it for trail riding the best way is to get Memory Map on your PC then create your routes on the pc and transfer it as either a route or a track. Memeory map makes it so easy to use. I use a garmin GPSmap60csx and i don't beleive there's a huge difference in the way the quest operates as they can all use the same garmin programmes.

You don't have to convert them to mapsource get the garmin topo uk V2 install that on your unit and it will show most of the same detail as what you get on an OS map. If you get an etrex you will have the same problems as you are having now, trust me it's all down to the software installed on the Gps unit, failing that look at the SATMAP ACTIVE 10

On my 60scx i put a 2gb card in it and put the south of england city navigator on it and some of the topo uk, that way i can swap between maps on the trail or on the road

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm borrowing a GPS60 at the moment to see how I get on with it, I had an etrex and it worked fine. Me and 6 mates have been trail riding in Northumberland for the last 3 days and plotted all our trails (3 x days at 150mile/day) on memorymap and transferred to etrex and it worked fine.

The quest is just a bit too complicated for what I want, but for someone with a bit more PC skills it would be great.

Rich

·
I need a hug!
1,231 Posts
Hi Guys.

Just to put my 10p worth in, I have had one for a few years now and find it works well for me, yes the postcode thing is a bit of a drag but once you master it, no probs. the obvious pluses are, it is small, fits in your pocket, very well made (no probs with rain) and good visuals for a small screen (don't need to use audio on the bike), I would not be without it on the bike.

Hope this helps.

Rog.:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts