Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Garmin Zumo 660LM or Tomtom Rider V4/5, this is my dilema although I like the sound of the new Tomtom although I have yet to read an independant review of one. Has anyone on here had any experience of either unit? I like the idea that the Garmin has a 3.5mm jack and an mp3 player built in, on the other hand I've heard reports that the mp3 playback is of questionable quality, I know the old Garmin Zumo 550 came with Mapsource software but I'm under the impression that later models now only use Basecamp, is this the case?

Any guidance would be much appreciated

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
had the first zumo 660 until bike was nicked afew weeks ago. i can't compare with the tom tom, but i'd give it 11/10!!! really glove friendly, didn't really take it off the bike for 3 years... so frost/water/sun/ice/snow/vibration proof. bluetooth stereo instructions/music to the helmet or out loud (audiable until about 50/60mph, depends on your exhaust, mines pretty loud, when the music stops.... slow down), clear big screen, easyish to use... though there are loads of stuff on it which i was still finding 3 years later. touratech lockable mount is a must, but not cheap. All said, it must be one of the best.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
DC, I believe you can still use Mapsource with newer Garmins. I have both BaseCamp and Mapsource on my PC and I much prefer MS.

There was a problem d/l MS onto a new machine and Garmin CS said it could not be done! They were wrong...:D

Reactions: digitalcaptive

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
My understanding is the Zumo comes with Map source maps for life. Cannot comment on TomTom but Garmin's customer service is crap. Good products (lots that could be better, mind) but when they do go wrong or you need any help, I've found them to be hard to contact, slow to respond and quick to get you off the phone without resolving your problem, requiring you to call again. You always get the "we are experiencing unusually high call levels" message and the help desk is open the hours convenient to them not to customers. Looks like my 550 has to go back. They cannot send a replacement for 14 days.....

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I was away this weekend and my observer had the new Tomtom, the bigger screen is easier to see than the V2 and V3, the twisty route button does what it says on the screen.
When we ran out of time on the progammed route, it was easy for him to remove a couple of waypoints to return to the hotel, the overall view of the unit was very good, the downside in my opinion is the £350 price tag.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
My understanding is the Zumo comes with Map source maps for life. Cannot comment on TomTom but Garmin's customer service is crap. Good products (lots that could be better, mind) but when they do go wrong or you need any help, I've found them to be hard to contact, slow to respond and quick to get you off the phone without resolving your problem, requiring you to call again. You always get the "we are experiencing unusually high call levels" message and the help desk is open the hours convenient to them not to customers. Looks like my 550 has to go back. They cannot send a replacement for 14 days.....
Gotta say my admittedly limited experience with Garmin was that they were not as bad as a good many companies. At least you are speaking to some with English as a first language.... :D The one time I called for support about mapsource, the girl i spoke to was a few apples short of a full load, but I managed to sort teh issue.

However, I called Garmin on last Thursday afternoon about my damaged Zumo 550 and was offered a refurb unit for £111 incl return postage. This was because I needed a new screen and more importantlt, a new case as I had broken mine. Got an RMA and posted the 550 on Friday afternoon. Monday got confirmation of receipt by Garmin, and today (Tuesday), confirmation of dispatch of the replacement unit.

Delivery is in the hands of UPS now, but this seems pretty good to me so far... ;) The girl I spoke to said there should be a quick turnround as they were not overly busy at present. This is obviously an issue for some reason!

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Gotta say my admittedly limited experience with Garmin was that they were not as bad as a good many companies. At least you are speaking to some with English as a first language.... :D The one time I called for support about mapsource, the girl i spoke to was a few apples short of a full load, but I managed to sort teh issue.

However, I called Garmin on last Thursday afternoon about my damaged Zumo 550 and was offered a refurb unit for £111 incl return postage. This was because I needed a new screen and more importantlt, a new case as I had broken mine. Got an RMA and posted the 550 on Friday afternoon. Monday got confirmation of receipt by Garmin, and today (Tuesday), confirmation of dispatch of the replacement unit.

Delivery is in the hands of UPS now, but this seems pretty good to me... ;) The girl i spoke to said there should be a quick turnround as they were not overly busy at present.
I've had the same offer. Trouble is why are these machines going wrong? Mine has not been dropped, no damage, just malfunctioning. But they insist on 14 days return. I'd pay for next day delivery and return but they won't have it. (Er hello, who is the customer here?)

The help desk is only only office hours on weekdays. They email over instructions and by the time you have completed them with no success it is 5.35pm and they are closed until Monday. On Twitter they then say that Monday is always busy - yeah cos people needed to call you over the weekend you numpties.

If Garmin ran a football club there would be no games on Saturdays. I'm guessing that more bikers use their Garmins at weekends than on weekdays.

You can buy the app on iPhone for about £80. It updates the maps etc and seems to work fine. Why buy a Garmin at all?

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Well in the defence of my Zumo, I purchased in 2008 and it is only due to my idiocy that it got broken anyway!! :rolleyes: In that time it has been fine apart from one software "upgrade" that crashed the unit. A bit of web searching found the fix and it has been good since, the latest software making map updates a doddle now..... finally!

From looking on the Garmin forum, the help desk manning problems seems to be world wide, they seem to be running a very tight ship staffwise... ergo, not enough.

Gotta say, that a dedicated sagnag knocks spots off any phone apps IME, the one minor exception was using my 7" Galaxy tablet, but it's not really cut out for a life on the open road ;) That was using the free OpenMaps database and a piece of free software. I take it in the car sometimes, but prefer the hands free of the Zumo. I know folks who do like a phone and satnav al in one, and that is fine.

·
Midlife pah done that
1,107 Posts
As I understand it there is no more support from garmin for mapsource, so there will be
no more updates. They are promoting basecamp heavily. Although basecamp is ok I
thought mapsource was better, but still threw up some strange routes as the 660 seems
to do as well. I found loading music bloody complicated and gave up in the end.
Overall a good piece of kit but unneccessarily complicated, so I got shot and have
bought the new TomTom rider V4/5. They have starting using a bit of software called
Tyre so routes can now be pre-planned and loaded onto the rider, with the bigger
screen it is much better and as stumpy says you can choose your route. Personally
I think it is much easier to use. Although there is no music I you can connect your phone
and I believe you can play music that way, although I haven't got round to trying it
yet. When I get round to fiddling with it properly I'll let you know.

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't got round to trying it yet. When I get round to fiddling with it properly I'll let you know.
Very interested in what you have to say once you've investigated the Tom tom further, I am leaning this way I think, I have used Tyre software for sometime so at least that'll be familiar to me, I would have liked it better though if they had retained some sort of SD slot for future upgrades ect

·
Midlife pah done that
1,107 Posts
Very interested in what you have to say once you've investigated the Tom tom further, I am leaning this way I think, I have used Tyre software for sometime so at least that'll be familiar to me, I would have liked it better though if they had retained some sort of SD slot for future upgrades ect
TomTom seem to have made the Tyre software official, I find it quite easy to use and now that the Rider comes with it it seems to connect together well. Yea it's a shame about the SD card.

On another point regarding customer services I found TomTom excellent to deal with, when I fecked up another model a while back, somehow I completly wiped it, they where quick and sorted out my problem immediately and took me through the problem step by step, mind you they must have thought what a feckin idiot. :teeth:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It all depends on the System you intend to connect to your helmet. If you use the bluetooth route then a later version of the Cardo Scala sets which allow stereo music and have a plug for external MP3 players to connect via wire, or Autocom/Starcom system and connect music throught the same system to your helmet.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Delivery is in the hands of UPS now, but this seems pretty good to me so far... ;) The girl I spoke to said there should be a quick turnround as they were not overly busy at present. This is obviously an issue for some reason!
And delivered this morning. So received by Garmin Monday morning, replacement with me on Wednesday. Pretty good I would say... :D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
And delivered this morning. So received by Garmin Monday morning, replacement with me on Wednesday. Pretty good I would say... :D
Mine went in the post today. I emailed one final information request about five days ago, tweeted them for being so slow in replying and got a reply today after I had posted it. I would have sent it sooner but I specifically asked if it could be returned in less than 14 days and was told not. If I get it back in three days I will be mad that I could have sent it ten days ago if they had been honest.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
I suspect that the support staff are simply repeating the script mantra, and thou shalt not deviate....

All has not been perfect with my refurb, as my European maps were locked and it has needed a call to get them accessible. Bit of a PITA actually. However, i called at 9.15 and was through in under a minute.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Got email saying it has arrived and retire 10-14 days.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Got an email saying it has been posted. Now wish I had sent it ten days ago.

The thing was I rang and said I needed it faster and they said they couldn't so I spend another week trying to fix it - rebooting the machine, updating the firmware, installing new maps etc. I wish they had just said send it now and we'll get it back within four days.

There's no pleasing me

Chas & Dave - Aint No Pleasing You - YouTube

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Got an email saying it has been posted. Now wish I had sent it ten days ago.

The thing was I rang and said I needed it faster and they said they couldn't so I spend another week trying to fix it - rebooting the machine, updating the firmware, installing new maps etc. I wish they had just said send it now and we'll get it back within four days.

There's no pleasing me
http://youtu.be/Hkt8E2Ul-Xw
:D Well, you are the Customer, so must be right... ;) With luck you may get it before the Bank Holiday. I think this 2 week delay is a bit of a legacy thing and for when they are snowed under, bit seems daft the support person did not say like they did with me, "it's quiet so you should get it back quickly"! I am old enough to remember when all mail order purchase stated "allow 21 or 28 days for delivery"!!!!

I have found mine will not now work properly with MapInstall, but have got most of the Euro mapping I wanted on the unit now using the older GarminMapUpdater, slow, but works. I suspect that once all the maps are on the unit/SD card, all will fall into place ;)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
:D Well, you are the Customer, so must be right... ;) With luck you may get it before the Bank Holiday. I think this 2 week delay is a bit of a legacy thing and for when they are snowed under, bit seems daft the support person did not say like they did with me, "it's quiet so you should get it back quickly"! I am old enough to remember when all mail order purchase stated "allow 21 or 28 days for delivery"!!!!

I have found mine will not now work properly with MapInstall, but have got most of the Euro mapping I wanted on the unit now using the older GarminMapUpdater, slow, but works. I suspect that once all the maps are on the unit/SD card, all will fall into place ;)
The problem will now be that the unit will arrive Saturday and Garmin's customer service line will not open until Tuesday. The idea of anything being open only office hours on weekdays having the name "customer service" is plainly laughable. It's like cafes being closed for a lunch hour.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts