Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to try to put a new valve cover gasket on my TA600

having never changed an engine gasket before, can anyone offer any advice??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Make sure both surfaces are nice and clean and free from any bits of the previous gasket, a smear of engine oil on the faces can help to keep the gasket in place while you reassemble.

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
You'll need to drain the coolant, do you have a new ring for the coolant pipe that you need to remove (I'm presuming the 600 os the same as 650 in this respect), the cover can take a bit of jiggling to clear the rocker gear - be careful not to dislodge the gasket around the sparkplug hole upon refitting.
You may aswell tie it in with a top end service when in there (valves/plugs/choke operation check etc).
Have a bit of oil resistant mastic type stuff to hold the gasket in place when refitting & to help seal corners & other areas where the gasket may not sit in the cover perfectly.

Otherwise, like most jobs on these bikes, it's a bit fiddly bit not difficult. Presumably it's the rear one thats leaking???

Phil

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
drain the coolant? oh, thats a pain

coolant pipe ring? nope. i dont have one of those.

why is nothing ever simple?!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Make sure both surfaces are nice and clean and free from any bits of the previous gasket, a smear of engine oil on the faces can help to keep the gasket in place while you reassemble.

Cheers

Jon
And whatever you do don't damage the surfaces when you are cleaning them, some old gaskets can be a real pig to remove completely. Iv'e had to use methods that manuals tell you not to use in the past so cannot state them here :) Always used to use high temp grease instead of oil myself.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, this is what the honda workshop manual says about installing the gasket.

Text Font Paper Document Paper product

can someone explain to me what "contact cement" and "sealant" are?

are they the same thing?

can anyone provide some links where i can buy these items?

i have some "instant gasket" in a tube - is that any use?

·
Registered
742 Posts
I think they mean something like RTV gasket maker, at least thats what I would use.
Just a thin smear on both sides enough to hold it in place while you refit the cover.
You don't want big chunks of it floating around inside the engine.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Honda seem to use some kind of adhesive to attach the gasket to the cover.
I have used a thin smear of instant gasket and black silicone in the past - both succesfully

Phil

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, great. i will use "instant gasket" to hold the gasket in the groove of the cover, so hopefully when i turn it "right way up" to install it, it won't fall out

thanks all

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
job done. not as easy as i thought, as you can't remove the valve cover without taking the carbs completely off, hence you have to disconnect the throttle and choke cables, and the some of the metal bands/jubilee clips that hold the rubber inlet bits on the carbs/airbox were corroded and would not come off, and airbox took a bit of fiddling around to get installed.

and the coolant needs to be drained first

i used the EGR/Carb/brake cleaner stuff to clean out the "groove" where the gasket sits, and i used a few spots of superglue to hold the gasket in place so it would not fall out when i inverted the cover for installation

has it stopped the oil leak? i don't know yet, i will report back

this video helped

·
Registered
742 Posts
I wouldn't have used superglue, you really want flexibility in a gasket, cyanoacrylate tends to be hard and inflexible.
If it works then its all good but if it doesn't you should try silicone gasket maker instead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts