Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gear lever is a bit loose and doesn't seem to have enough left to tighten it to the shaft.

I've looked on line for a replacement but they seem few and far between on this island.

Do alternative models have the same ones?

Or shall I break out the Dremel clone and 'adjust' the gap? :)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Run a hacksaw blade, or two side by side down the gap? Maybe a bit quicker and easier. Take the pinch bolt out though :D
Nothing to loose if it doesnt work.

·
Stone Crazy
5,304 Posts
I find take the lever off bolt out clap it in the vice to close the gap and run the hacksaw down the gap usually does , on my Vigor it kept working loose no matter what i did looked at a new lever silly money, got a new spline block and cut the old one off welded new one on lick of paint jobs a good un

maybe summat here http://www.bitzforbikes.co.uk/products/Gear_Change_Levers/list

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
The gear lever appears to be the same for the DR 250, 350, and 650 models.
A new one isn't that expensive though... e bay Item number 230920510084

I had a similar problem on the XR 400, a new one sorted it out a treat.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,009 Posts
Both my DR350s suffered from this. I did the saw cut trick, I even removed the thread from the lever and used a nut and bolt through it. In the end I found that opening the gap combined with a bit of threadlock on the splines before refitting was the best way to keep it all solid for a longer than usual time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just throwing this up into the air to see if it's feasible, or just the musings of a mad man...

As this is not exactly an uncommon problem to not only this bike but many across the whole bike spectrum, is there a tool available, or perhaps some other way of cutting a woodruff key system into these units? it wont be big but just enough to stop any rotation.
It seems to me like an ideal and permanent solution for this annoying problem.

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
Just throwing this up into the air to see if it's feasible, or just the musings of a mad man...

As this is not exactly an uncommon problem to not only this bike but many across the whole bike spectrum, is there a tool available, or perhaps some other way of cutting a woodruff key system into these units? it wont be big but just enough to stop any rotation.
It seems to me like an ideal and permanent solution for this annoying problem.

That would then de-engineer the use of splines, which make the position of the lever adjustable!

:-D

·
Registered
114 Posts
That would then de-engineer the use of splines, which make the position of the lever adjustable!

:-D
Which is why I suggest it as a solution to an ongoing problem, i.e. the owner / rider would know the optimum position for their lever.
It strikes me as a better solution than some that I've seen in the past, including welding the lever to the shaft.

I for one have never felt the need to constantly adjust or rotate the lever around to different positions during ownership, and I doubt that many people would either.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
A fair few available here if they are the same as 650 ect
any problems with the lingo let me know if needed I can get it and send it on or bring it with me when I'm next over (every 6 weeks or so)

suzuki dr schalthebel | eBay

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
Which is why I suggest it as a solution to an ongoing problem, i.e. the owner / rider would know the optimum position for their lever.
It strikes me as a better solution than some that I've seen in the past, including welding the lever to the shaft.

I for one have never felt the need to constantly adjust or rotate the lever around to different positions during ownership, and I doubt that many people would either.

Up until about three weeks ago, I would probably have agreed with you; until that is, I took delivery of my Hein Gericke "Herman Munster" boots, which make me walk like I have two broomsticks attached to my legs! I couldn't for the life of me up-shift, so HAD to alter the gearshift.

:toothy3:

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Keep the gear-lever and attach it to a new bike
:iconbiggrin::iconbiggrin::iconbiggrin: Hello Mel.

It's your fault I bought a thumper after playing on your bike at the National.

I was doing quite well on it in the slow race until some bench pressing tart made me laugh. :bom:

Thanks chaps.....that should help sort it.:thumbright:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Up until about three weeks ago, I would probably have agreed with you; until that is, I took delivery of my Hein Gericke "Herman Munster" boots, which make me walk like I have two broomsticks attached to my legs! I couldn't for the life of me up-shift, so HAD to alter the gearshift.

:toothy3:
That made me laugh, but I see where you are coming from.
Just supposing all else failed, I still think that a key would be a better solution to an engine strip if the splines were too knackered to be of any further service?

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks chaps...Got the Dremel clone out and decided it was far too subtle.

Slot cut with angle grinder...all cleaned (even gave it a coat of black engine enamel:confused:).

Back on nice and tight...no doubt I'll have to adjust once I ride it but my guestimate will do for now. :)

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
As Yen said, common fault on DR's, sounds like you've sorted it. You've now reminded me that I haven't checked mine for a while so I'm off to the garage tomorrow morning :grin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think you need to check lever first, it's working properly or not? if there is any problem, then use the new gear lever. Hope your will solved :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts