Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all , i have posted this before but with no answer so i thought i try again , any advice on what oil to use in a gearbox on a 2005 crf450x:joker:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Rock oil have a g/box specific oil which would to work well under racing conditions and i have used it for many years in my cr 250 .But for my crf250 i can use the same oil in both sides ..a good semi or fully synthetic oil will cope with your engine needs .I would go with the rock oil as i can vouch for that i change mine every 5-6 hours and i have never had anything but good rides with this oil no clutch slip or anything of that nature and i have been using it since 97 and my opinion is still the same

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks for advise , i will only be using on roads and light green use , i think that i will need to change oil more often as the old oil is like very dark and thick . will try to get some rock oil and give it ago;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
both the engine and g/box have relatively small capacity for oil so as a rule a regular change 5 hours or so would be for the better if your not reving it to the moon and you respect the bike you could check or change it 7-10 hours but just the chance that the engine will suffer abnormal wear cos i would not pay for roughly a liter of oil its just not worth it ...oil every 5 filter every ten ..Dont forget airfilter this is probably where the the most problems arise keep on top of that oil it ,clean it seal it your valves ,barrel will last for a long time just by doing this

1 - 4 of 4 Posts