Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
New member from Sweden to this forum and a new AT owner.

Found a teared down AT -98 through a friend and gave an very low offer that was accepted.
During this winter season I have put all the pieces together and toke my first ride today.

Everything is working just as it should and I think that I will have a lot of fun with this great bike.

The only problem problem that i got is a crackling sound when i´m in second gear.
It sounds just under load not when i release the throttle or in any other gear.
Shifting through the gears is smooth and with normal shiftingsounds.
When i pull the clutch, hold the front brake and slowly release the clutch with second gear engaged there is no crackling sound at all.
As i roll away with the clutch slowly released there is no abnormal sound but when i release the clutch the sound comes back.

Have checked shiftaxel and outgoing axel (front sprocket) and those axles only have axial movement no radial movement at all.
Could it be anything except the second gear?

I guess i already know what i have to do but maybe some of you know or think you know what it could be before i strip down the engine.

Thankful for all expertise and guesses that I could get.

/Borjesson

·
Junior
455 Posts
Check chain slack it should be around 7cm , and make sure front sprocket right way around, then make sure right spacer on rear axle

Val

2 bikes , twice is happy 🤔

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip.
But sadly there is no problem with the chain, sprocket or spacer.

Does anyone else have a idea on what can cause this noise?
Or something else to check before i tare down the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have now located the noise to be in the gearbox.
Put a metal bar to the gearbox as a stethoscope and the sound is coming from the gearbox.

How much axial movement is normal on the outgoing axle and shifteraxle?
On the shifteraxle i have approx 3-4mm play and on the outgoing axle I have 1-2mm play.
Can´t say that i have any radial play.
If i decide to strip down the engine.

What else should i replace when i already have in parts?
Pistonrings?
Any other bearing or what do you think i should change?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have now located the noise to be in the gearbox.
Put a metal bar to the gearbox as a stethoscope and the sound is coming from the gearbox.

How much axial movement is normal on the outgoing axle and shifteraxle?
On the shifteraxle i have approx 3-4mm play and on the outgoing axle I have 1-2mm play.
Can´t say that i have any radial play.
If i decide to strip down the engine.

What else should i replace when i already have in parts?
Pistonrings?
Any other bearing or what do you think i should change?
Did you go through the gears with the bike on the center stand with your improvised stethoscope to hear that gearbox noise?

Gearboxes rarely give us problems on these bikes. IMO it's most likely in the gear change mechanism. I wouldn't be tearing the motor down out of the frame
just yet. You claim to have ruled out chain and sprockets because when they are worn you get all sorts of metallic noises coming from everywhere.

Normal axial play on the gear change shaft is probably around 3mm...give or take, at least on mine. Radial should be nil. It's possible your 'new to you' bike had
a tip over where this gear change shaft was bent.

I would remove the clutch/oil pump drive sprocket and have a look at the selector arm and make sure nothing is amiss with the how the claw of this arm engages into the cam plate by going through the gears.
Good pictures in the Haynes page 2-46 and 2-47. The text will also tell you what to look for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After the bike has been stored under a blanket for several months i finally decided to take care of this sound.
After a lot of different exclusions of the source of the problem i took the engine out of the frame and disassembled the engine.

IMG_2283l.jpg

What i found was that the second gear has had an impact with something or had a manufacturing failure.
IMG_2231l.jpg
IMG_2277l.jpg

Probably has some small part of the second gear got stuck in the sliding fift gear and that is what caused the sound.
Fift gear
IMG_2284l.jpg

Those sprockets was replaced and now the bike is back together again.
The first test ride was a success, the engine sounds like new and shifting is as sooth as a Honda should be.

IMG_1005l.jpg

So thanks for all the tips even though they did not help but they pointed me in a direction and the problem is now solved!
Now will the fun start with riding and doing all the mods i have read about here and probably a suspension upgrade as well.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
You certainly have some wrenching skills. :thumbright: Good job!

Was their a lot metal filings found in the engine indicating that a part
became separated and went through? Or was it a possible shock load on the gears?
Hard to believe that it might be a metallurgical issue from Honda.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone! unfortunately I also have the same problem with second gear, I have dismantled the transmission and the gear is just badly reduced ... unfortunately, however, the gear in question in Italy seems impossible to find because it is out of production. could anyone recommend a store where they can have it (code 23431-MV1-000)? thank you

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,075 Posts
Hello everyone! unfortunately I also have the same problem with second gear, I have dismantled the transmission and the gear is just badly reduced ... unfortunately, however, the gear in question in Italy seems impossible to find because it is out of production. could anyone recommend a store where they can have it (code 23431-MV1-000)? thank you
I might have the part. I have my old engine parts left that I didnt sell - it is off an RD04 but if it is the right size etc it should do. My 3rd gear went this way which is why I swapped out the engine (broke the old for parts and made my money back) and I believe it is the case hardening that has failed in the manufacturing process. Pm me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello all.

I'm digging up an old thread here but hopefully someone can help.

I too am having a rattling in second gear under load. Based on this thread I am pretty sure I have a defect with second gear. Everything else is fine and the noise has been gradually getting loader over quite a few thousand miles. I want to get this sorted and have yet to begin the tear down but I'm struggling to find a source for the second gear cog.

Can anyone help sourcing one?

Part #: 23431MV1000

Thanks.

John

1998 RD07A

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all.

I'm digging up an old thread here but hopefully someone can help.

I too am having a rattling in second gear under load. Based on this thread I am pretty sure I have a defect with second gear. Everything else is fine and the noise has been gradually getting loader over quite a few thousand miles. I want to get this sorted and have yet to begin the tear down but I'm struggling to find a source for the second gear cog.

Can anyone help sourcing one?

Part #: 23431MV1000

Thanks.

John

1998 RD07A
you should look for a used gearbox

·
Registered
31 Posts
Interesting... seems there are a few more people with this issue than I first thought. Hopefully my used replacement will be ok!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts