Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were to have an engine that once it was running and the oil was hot the oil pressure was low and fluctuating, what would it indicate a problem with?

This is hypothetical question!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The expected lifespan of the engine!

Could be sticky oil pressure relief valve (if it has one), water/sh*t in the oil, a leak in the oil circuit or a damaged bearing somewhere. Lots of possibles, let's hope it's only hypothetical.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, its purely hypothetical, just a discussion point really.

What about a worn bottom end?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Any worn bearing could drop the pressure, but the fluctuation is the odd bit. Suggests damage to a reciprocating or revolving part, lining up periodically with an oilway. Quite a few possible culprits.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
if its on the xr it could be the flexible oil feed pipe from the frame collapsing

·
Registered
756 Posts
Worn crank and shells will give you low pressure when up to running temp, the fluctuation part is different matter do you mean oil light occasionally comes on ? if not oil pump and scavenge side would be good place to start looking :thumbright:

·
Registered
69 Posts
i gather that you mean at revs and not at tick over as i would expect a bike at tickover to fluctuate slightly, ooh and i got fluctuate into a conversation, :eek:ccasion8:get me!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts