Honda XRV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 490 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
A grand day out, spiffing weather and scenery in Shropshire and Wales followed at 2pm by fine food and chat at that fine eaterie, The Ponderosa.

A new member was inaugurated, Anive of this Parish who contributed to the discussions with vigour.

Goodbyes were exchanged at 4pm and the members disbursed, replete and happy. Home again with a somewhat sore butt at 6pm.... Must finish the NX seat!

Roll on the next one.... Maybe up in the NW or Jellys again?

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Paul, Far be it from me to tell you how to ride, but for what it's worth, have a care going through the Parpaillon. I did it N to S a couple of years ago, 3weeks later in the year than you propose, and whilst there was no snow on the track, snow was still in the tunnel where the sun didn't shine!. The ride through was horrendous, with much slithering around. Worse, I didn't fancy the return trip and carried on. On my map it is designated a footpath and whilst I got through, it was very slow. Be sure to have a good look in the tunnel first.
Apart from that, the ride from Risoul, the service road to the ski lift, to St Anre-d'Embrun, is delightful, and it meets the track to the Parpaillon on the road to Crevoux. Just take the RH fork downhill, before you get to the top of the ski lift.
Have fun, only slightly jealous.
Paul
Thanks Paul

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
A grand day out, spiffing weather and scenery in Shropshire and Wales followed at 2pm by fine food and chat at that fine eaterie, The Ponderosa.

A new member was inaugurated, Anive of this Parish who contributed to the discussions with vigour.

Goodbyes were exchanged at 4pm and the members disbursed, replete and happy. Home again with a somewhat sore butt at 6pm.... Must finish the NX seat!

Roll on the next one.... Maybe up in the NW or Jellys again?
yay.just managed to somehow get back on here!

'twas great to meet up again Steve, must do it again in the not too distant future :)

phil

sent from my 'phone

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yep, will do, maybe try a bit more Notice for the posh dude who needs 48hrs ... ! ;)

Happy silaging, I had a day catching up on the mowing that should have been done Wed :thumbup: Tedding this morning, crops are HUGE, so the little 50hp Kioti is really barking it's way through with the big rotatedder on.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Look out for a day when the sun gonna be shining.... :thumbup: You taken retirement Austin?

Won't be a Friday for me, as shooting season is in full swing so a full time "job" on Saturdays. Could do with a luncheon spot around N. Cheshire area? North Wales??

Alternatively, Jellys is nice grub, but horrible roads from here when they are damp with leaves etc ;-(

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Oooh, now then, it's been a while :)
I'm kind of a bit tied up with stuff for the forseeable :(

However, with a little advance warning & the promise of anice day out I could be persuaded to put in a bit of 'flexi' ;)

·
Geriatric Teenager
101 Posts
Throw my hat in the ring for a lunchtime mince pie and a glass of sherry, before this unseasonable weather turns seasonable!

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Yes, I took a pay off from work so a bit of free time until I work out what I am going to do with myself. I have quit the pheasant shoot I was running and have served notice on the grouse moor and rough shoot I have in the dales because......

....We have big bike ride round Scandinavia and Iceland in mind for next summer and if 10-12 weeks on the road and in a tent most of the time suits us it will be RTW starting some time in 2016. In the meantime a meet at the ponderosa or jellies will do ;). Travelling south for me is a PITA until south of Warrington or west of Chester but any bike ride is better than none. I will do a bit of research as to venues and get a "subject to weather and availability" meet up scheduled for a Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Oooh, now then, it's been a while :)
I'm kind of a bit tied up with stuff for the forseeable :(

However, with a little advance warning & the promise of anice day out I could be persuaded to put in a bit of 'flexi' ;)
My advance warning is usually about 12-24hours, but maybe we can collectively improve on that Phil.... :thumbup:

Peaks (Jellys) going to be a nicer ride down for you lads from the NW??

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Good link Steve. How does the Doof Cafe at Ruthin sound - it's featured on the Wales page in the biker directory. No proper web site that I can find either except on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/DoofCafe. How about a meet on Wednesday 10th, 12.30 at the cafe and bimble round the local roads after.
Never been there, but I know where it is, a doddle to find as it's on the main drag though "town". For me it's up to Llangollen, over the Horseshoe and a nice blast to Ruthin.

If Phil and Paul are up for it, pencil it in and see what the weather is doing nearer the day? I would need to back for 5ish, as I have a Council meeting that evening and need an hour to do my prep work. :thumbup:

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Super long range forecast I buy in..*

9-11 December 2014 B = 75%
Snow showers, some heavy, cold - very cold
in N/E
Same as 45d forecast.

12-16 December 80%

Heavy snow and blizzards. Thundersnow,
turning EXTREMELY COLD in Scotland + NE
England. DEEP SNOW likely in E +NE(espec)
England & South Scotland. Airports likely
disrupted inc Heathrow + Gatwick.
Small clarifications 45d forecast re. deeper snow

HEAVY
SNOW,
BLIZZARDS
prob heaviest
in East and
NE parts.
FEET OF
SNOW IN
PARTS. East
parts inc
London + SE.
Becoming
extremely
cold.

Maybe go for this Wednesday....??

*PM me if you would like a copy ;-)

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
All the bad weather is forecast for the north and east, this is Wales, but yeah This Wednesday (3rd) is good for me. Cold start but should be fine and dry :)

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

41 - 60 of 490 Posts