Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed toward the end of the Snowing thread the subject of Geocaching came up.

Who on here does Geocaching?

G

·
The good thing about geocaching is that it can be very simple fun for all ages, or damn right devious ;)

A simple cache is a hidden 1L tupperware box (or a small ammo box) hidden someplace and you get the exact co-ordinates of it..as GPS especially in differing terrain can be accurate from 10ft to 30 ft it can make finding some of them quite hard (especially some of the smaller microcaches that can be absolutely minute) Most caches though have an extra clue on them which might be simple or qwuite obscure.

The last cache I laid was a 3 digit combination padlocked ammo box with another co-ordinate marked on top, they'd end up following that and onto 2 more and at each point they'd get another digit of the combination. When they had all three they could then open the box... Problem is though that when they return triumphant to the cache to finally open it they find that there's another inner lid with another combination lock that they have to visit one more place ;)

We've had some crazy little caches from hollowed out bolts, plaster of paris rocks with the cache inside of a hollowed out section..Small little pet tags hung 6 ft above on a footpath sign..

The idea though is to find them and log them, most normal caches though have small little swaps in them (like foreign coins, small toys, little ornaments, keyrings..) with the idea that if you take something then please replace it with something else..

TB's (travelbugs) were mentioned in the other thread, those and GC's (Geocoins) are swappable items that are designed not to keep but to move onto other caches, they have a tag or a code imprinted on them and with that code you can log the coin as it moves from cache to cache.. One of my own is Ruby TB that's travelled the UK over 1500Km's and now has a mission to go abroad (Ruby TB is a siberian husky beanie in honour of the original Ruby Husky that died a couple of years ago. Some TB's /GC's have missions attached to them, like a race with other TB's to Australia, or perhaps as in the case of Ticket To Ride TB to visit all the historical railways in the UK and have a picture taken and posted of it with the station in the background.

It's all great fun and only really needs a cheap GPS capabe of displaying N/S/E/W co-ordinates (Degrees and decimal minutes) and an internet connection..

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm liking the sound of this.......and I can be damn right devious :rolleyes:
It's sound a geeky pass time but is a great way of getting a 7 year old out for a walk due to the promise of treasure at the end. We find we can keep the little ones attention for a good three hours with a few Geocaches en-route.

I think Kymmy's description is pretty spot on.

Also it takes you to places you may never usually go. We went around Greenham Common a few weeks ago.

The Old Runway at Greenham

The old Cruise Missile Bunkers - Kinda creepy!

The old control tower.

Other detritus from a bygone era!

And a Geocache found :thumbleft:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Just got blue ? in the place of photos.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Carried out Geocaching a few months ago with the Mountain Rescue team interesting as a nav exercise but its so difficult on the hills as Gps units have a 10 meter or more deviation and trying to match up locations in a bolder field takes for ever to find the locations. But have not tried it on a bike?

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
me and Mrs Z are the "picnic monkeys"

. . . like it says under my name . .

got a bike mount for my GPS60 and a power lead - caching by bike here we come!

Z:D

·
2,022 Posts
LOL...Love the picture on your GC profile
if you mean mine - that was a cool days coasteering near St Davids not far from the site of the welsh invasion!!

i'm gonna look you guys up!

Z:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Geocaching is great fun. Name's the same as here. Nothing like a dodgy profile pic to keep them guessing.

Wife and I try to find a cache where-ever we go on holiday. Recently had a terrible time trying to find a cache near Tignes, France. 1.6m of snow did nothing to help. Needless to say it was a DNF (did not find). Off to South Africa in October and I should be able to get the nephews out into the wilds again!

Anyway, onwards and upwards eh? Spring is poking her head above the parapets (in the UK south) so lets hope we get some good caching weather.

Good to see there are like minded freaks around. :blob:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Me too..............:).
I don't like and can't be bothered with micros, I like finding treasure, real treasure. I did a series in France last year and every cache was a 5 litre chemical drum. It seems to me like micros are very popular in the UK?

G

·
We do a lot of ebay pickups of stuff that can;t be posted (like range rover axles, bike engines..etc..) We always plan a few geocaches either on the way or near the pick-up priority is always given to those with TB's/GC's in them..

Micros sometimes are a pain, but if done right can be really fun..

·
2,022 Posts
We do the same - wherever we go we try to pick a few along the way - not been doing it too long tho!

got a lovely walk planned on ilkley moor with about 8 in one walk!

there is one micro in styal that is eluding me but generally have a decent success rate!

Z

G

·
We're relevant novices with 114 found and 3 hidden and gawd knows how many found TB'GC's with two TB's of our own (though one is currently MIA :( )

Best cache we've ever done to date was YOUR MISSION.......(GCKZ29) which took us on a 50 mile rounds trip, took about 4 full cahcing days to do it and stretched from bomb disposal, fording a river, safe cracking and also morse code decoding ;)

·
almost human !!!
757 Posts
Thanks for the info. This sounds like fun. Will be checking out geocaching in Germany soonest.:blob4:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts