Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had a number of bikes, big, small etc and I’ve never had a bike as hard to put on the main stand as the 700.

ive strained my shoulder.
strained my foot.

Airhead Beamers, heavier bikes... easier.
sports bikes with main stands.... easier.
650 Trannie..... don’t remember this being hard.

Anyway, you can laugh, mock, titter.... but I’ve just made this handle... :D superb.
I can even put in on the main stand in my garden soft shoes.... it is brilliant.

well it works for me so there :D

No idea why the pictures keep blooming rotating!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
the 600 is awful to get on the stand

but...wouldn't it be easier with the handle placed at the rear of the bike?

C1D58D1C-5468-4490-9FBE-4FC8DCCB62AE.jpg

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The position of the handle that I have fitted is spot on.

Your other options... holding the left handle bar... still heavy.
Hold pannier rack... not possible with pannier fitted.
Without pannier, you could hold pannier rack with left hand and rear passenger grip with right hand and pull. Quite easy, but if you made the mistake of failing the first time, the bike could roll forward and go left or right as you were not holding the bars.

It was possible to hold the crash bar itself, but that depended on the surface you were parking on.
you still had to bend to the side, not easy.
With what I have done, it is only a slight bend of your body and pull back.
its almost possible to use my handle and right hand just for guidance.

All I can say it is much, much easier. Obviously if I were stronger, not an issue, but I’m not decrepit!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well done on sorting it out windmill john, last time I had my 700 on the main stand I put my back out, I think my technique is not good.....

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, sore foot and put both shoulders out on different occasions lifting it! Fantastic now and very easy.

·
Registered
300 Posts
When I first purchased my 700 the front forks had been lowered about an inch and it was really hard bloody work to get it onto the centre stand. I eventually put the forks back to their original position and life instantly became easier. Still fairly hard though. I recently chopped the old girl in for a 650 V-Strom and thats easy peasy.

Nick.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If it's anything like the one on my AT, the bike has to go over quite a high pivot point to get it on the stand. I found rolling the back wheel onto a scrap of wood first (about 2" high), then rolling it off the wood and onto the stand in one go, took it from a hernia threat to a doddle. Rolling it onto the wood is easy with a bit of momentum. I never bother trying without the block now, it made that much difference. Only problem is, where to stow it on the bike....

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it's anything like the one on my AT, the bike has to go over quite a high pivot point to get it on the stand.

That's why I think the position of the strap on the crash bar must be almost spot on for the the circumference of the arc of the main-stand travel.... if that makes sense. It seems to lift the bike up and over the pivot point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine first guess would also be lowered bike or shot rear shock - result bike sits lower than standard, so it is harder to put into mainstand. Got mine lowered by 30 mm (on custom shock), become much harder to put on centre stand.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My 600 is probably the hardest bike I've ever owned to get onto the centre stand (and there's been 40+,,,,,,,). I'd assumed it has the wrong stand fitted tbh, Africa Twin maybe,,,,,,,,,,,,?
I too made a lifting handle, it hooks under the pillion foot rest mount, but I also roll the back wheel onto a piece of wood first.
Needless to say, the centre stand is only used in the garage for maintenance, the rest of the time I just use the side stand.

I have a CX500 too, that rolls onto the stand with minimal effort,,,,,,,,,,,,, so Handa can get it right if they try.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well I'm glad that I own a 650 Transalp with a genuine centre stand as it is the easiest one I've ever owned for rolling onto the stand. And I only weigh about 90kg in full leathers and riding gear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
my 700 as a 30mm lowering spring on the rear shock, i,m 5-7", and dont have a problem lifting the bike onto the main stand, 1st i put down the side stand, grab the left grip with my left hand, right foot on the main stand peg, and hold the grab rail, just above where the seat lock key goes !!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts