Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning to visit n w scotland mid august - got 4 maybee 5 days on my own to have my ride in memory of my dad who recently passed away.

Decided on Ulapool, as i missed the national last year and never been to scotland.

Ulapool is about 12 hours minimum from me according to online route planners, is it possible / advisable to try and get there in 1 day if i leave early enough ??????????????????

Just want to be able to see as much of that part of the world as a can while i'm there using Ulapool as a 'base camp' rather that going to lots of different campsites.

cheers Ant.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
I think Vader did it in a day from the south when I met up with him and some of the other guys near ulapool a couple of years back. He might be a good person to ask about how it was and the fastest route (he beat me by some margin because I got lost north of edinburgh and ended up near the east coast by mistake - and I was only coming from newcastle :D).

If you're going up the west side of the country it might be more enjoyable to stop off at the top of the lakes, or once you get past glasgow for a night perhaps (once you're north of glasgow on the west side of the country there's tons of nice places on the way to ulapool and the lake district is nice too ofcourse).

If you're coming up the east side of the country on the A1 then it'll be a bit tedious I think (but maybe faster than riding through the lakes), though jedburgh might be a nice place to stay over for a night on the way if you take that route (the road that takes you there off the A1 heads in the right direction still and takes you through the northumberland national park which is a much nicer ride and may avoid the congestion on the A1 depending what time you get there). There's a nice campsite near Jedburgh too I think (if it's still open - haven't been there for a few years).

Don't want to put you off doing it in one go, but it seems like a bit of a hard slog particularly if you're coming up the A1 and that you might be missing out some nice places on the way (particularly north of glasgow on the west).

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Thats gonna be a hard slog for one days riding but it's doable, 660ish miles from Colchester? I'd be looking at setting off about 5am, 6am at the latest for getting there in one day.

When you do get to Ullapool can i recommend you go back down the A836 then take the A832 and do a loop back round of that part of the West coast, going by Little Loch Broom, Lock Gairloch and Lock Maree. A few of us did that when we were at the national and it's a fantastic run, the roads are excellent and views unbeleivable. If you want a lazy day (especially if you do it in one hit up there) then it's perfect for stops for photos and pubs etc, it's about 150mile round (maybe less) so you can really relax and enjoy the ride.

Just make sure you do the A82 (google and satnav will say A9 but dont!... speed cameras and booooooring) thats the best road ever created and you will use a full tank just doing that :) and don't think the A9 will be quicker, you can hoof it easily on the A82 if need be.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Er... don't start in Colchester. Can't you do three hours the evening before, get a good kip in a PremierInn/Travelodge for £20odd then get cracking at 0630hrs?

Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope he enjoys your trip from wherever he is. :thumbup:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Nice choice. Miles and miles of the best roads in Britain await your arrival. Enjoy.Del

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Its quite daunting when you look at the map, but the key to getting there quick is take your time

If you try to run the whole ride in one you'll be too knackered the next day to enjoy anything

If you can leave the night before and travellodge it, or have a least an hour out of the saddle every second tank full eat light drink lots, dont do redbull or wakeup tabs:thumbup:

Good luck and enjoy it

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
easy :D:D
talk to you later as i come back to a leaking ceiling:rolleyes:

·
Chief Lurker
436 Posts
It is do-able, but you will be very tired and probably find that the next day will be spent recuperating!
I travelled from Durness to Southampton (overnight) in one long shift - took 12 hours and found that I was unable to write my own name at the last fuel stop (due to the vibration from the bars of [email protected]). It would probably be more stressful during the day.

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all.

Common sense previals - i will be stopping probably somewhere around the lake district on the way up and back :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts