Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, anyone know a good glue to join PE plastics (like the sidecover), have a similar issue with some car parts too ... tried model plane CA glue and heptane booster seems to work on the bike, tried marine sikaflex ... considering trying melt glue ... on the car part. I know that these plastics are very "fat", and difficult to glue ..

Anyone out there with good experience on this ?

:sad11:

G

·
Cracks in most bike panels can be welded using a soldering iron or small blowtorch. The latter needs much more care, obviously! A fizzy drink bottle (they're made of the same material) can be cut into strips to use as filler rods as you would when gas welding metal.

But you mention PE (polyeurethane?) which may be different.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you can get it in Scandinavia I've always found Araldite glue will stick pretty much anything permanently. It's an epoxy glue which comes in two tubes which you need to mix before you use it. Try the Araldite Rapid. It's easier to use.

In the past I've used it to form not just a bond but also to make a small piece of plastic for a bonnet release catch, where the cable attaches to the plastic, which had broken inside a car.

G

·
Hi
Hein gericke doa kit that will cold weld plastic very well, it's a bit tricky to use and the instuctions were all in italian and its fairly expensive but its really good stuff. have also similar on e bay somewhere.
neil

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, will have a go with the glue gun, then araldite and see how it goes ... the side panel might not be same as for the car plastic ... have to check that out. I really loved the idea of melting old bottles ... :toothy9:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi, anyone know a good glue to join PE plastics (like the sidecover), have a similar issue with some car parts too ... tried model plane CA glue and heptane booster seems to work on the bike, tried marine sikaflex ... considering trying melt glue ... on the car part. I know that these plastics are very "fat", and difficult to glue ..

Anyone out there with good experience on this ?

:sad11:
i used araldite mate[rapid]:cool:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its all probably ABS plastic ... anyway, I used the Glue Melting gun on the renault car engine cover, and that seemed to work very well, cures fast too ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts