Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to rub or remove the gold layer on my rims? I think I will repaint my @ in red and blue, don’t think gold rims fits that theme. Can I use Autosol or something like that?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The gold colour is cooked on after the anodisizing with lead in acid. So the onle way is reversing the process i think. You'll need a bath of acid and aplly electric current.... bad idea....

You'll be better of shotblasting and powder coating but you'll have to take it apart. There are some good treads about this.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
Ride it on UK roads for a winter or two, that'll remove any coating as well as chunks of the actual rim.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Best to SUFFER the Gold until you feel the need for wheels to be rebuilt with S/S Spokes? and Polished Ally Rims? I would not spend that sort of money unless really neccessary. Don't you think Gold rims would look nice with a Red/Blue paintjob? I do realise it's all down to personal preference, but blasting off the gold anodising and then repolishing could send you gibbering mad. All the best.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Funny... Now I've gotta get my AT's wheels rebuilt, yesterday I was considering a switch to gold. Most of the Hondas in the early Dakar pics I could find online seem to have them - the NXR 750 and the Africa Twins they raced - but maybe a Paris Dakar expert will come in and correct me :thumb: Is it just that all the earlier ones had the gold rims?
I've started to think though they'd be a bit too much on my black AT. They'd match the gold bars but I think they'd look just a tiny bit bling/gangsta lol! Not the look I'm aiming for.
Having said all that, if I had 'em already, like the others are saying, I wouldn't go to all that trouble to change them. Sounds like it would either be very expensive, or end up looking bad (or both). Up to you though.

·
where next?
508 Posts
Instead of removing the gold colour you could consider having your rims powder-coated in a colour that compliments your red/blue scheme.

G

·
I used "Easy-Off" Oven Cleaner to remove the anodizing.

It's a US product but I'm sure you Brits clean your ovens with something.

Give it a try.

It works to about 80% effectiveness. Some additional scrubbing with a green 3M coarse pot scubber does the rest.....be sure to wear kitchen gloves (to complete the ensemble) and eye protection if you're sloppy.

Gives a whole new meaning to "We'll just scrub 'round that"

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Is there a way to rub or remove the gold layer on my rims? I think I will repaint my @ in red and blue, don’t think gold rims fits that theme. Can I use Autosol or something like that?

Send them to me, and I'll send you a pair of silver RD07a rims by return!

How's that, what a deal!!!

:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts