Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a problem last thursday - after filling with petrol, the bike wouldnt start - no idiot lights at all - all fuses checked and ok and full power from battery - 1st suspect was ignition switch or wiring.

Heres what i found on one of the connector blocks that goes to the ignition loom after removing electrical tape:

(i didnt do anything to the wiring when i re-built the bike as everything worked ok - should have checked)

The red and the red+black wire had just about fused together to become one !!!!!!

I shall be cutting back to good wiring and fitting new connector blocks. Have tested the ignition switch on the other end of the connectoer block and it works fine :D

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
we was on the money eh:cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
528 Posts
So, how did you get your beloved home from the filling station, then?:( I hope you didn't have too far to push!!!;)

I'm glad you found the problem, I think I would have just cried:rolleyes:

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've just seen the posts about Rykas........;) Bummer:D:D:D

I have to admit to a quiet chuckle when reading about your enlightening chat with Chad:rolleyes: then read on to find out that it was that fateful night that good 'ol Goliath decided to take a nap!!!:(

Well, I'm glad you got back O.K. and hope to hear that you're back on the road real quick!!!:cool:

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What caused the overheat Anton?

Hi mate, it seems on closer inspection that the wires were very badly corroding and rotting from the inside out - i guess this may have caused a build up of heat and melted the insulation :confused:

Ive managed to cut back to good wiring and fitted a new connector block and waterproofed the lot - i think water ingress started the whole lot off - on the age of these bikes, not meaning to worry you, but may be best to check the condition of yours (as this could have failed at 80 on the outside lane :eek: leaving me with no lights or engine :eek: )

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, how did you get your beloved home from the filling station, then?:( I hope you didn't have too far to push!!!;)

I'm glad you found the problem, I think I would have just cried:rolleyes:
I couldnt cry, as i was at the Boreham services where all the boy racers hang out. V. embarrasing - i just tried to look cool and unflustered (after taking my gear back off and then starting to take the bike to bits ;))

Luckily, ive got breakdown cover with my insce company, so just a phone call away - although i had to wait an hour and a half :rolleyes:

The bike is still in bits, as ive decided to fit some fog lamps and ive got some led indicators to go on the front, so lots of electrical stuff to do :D

·
aka Oxbone :)
1,514 Posts
Hi mate, it seems on closer inspection that the wires were very badly corroding and rotting from the inside out - i guess this may have caused a build up of heat and melted the insulation :confused:

Ive managed to cut back to good wiring and fitted a new connector block and waterproofed the lot - i think water ingress started the whole lot off - on the age of these bikes, not meaning to worry you, but may be best to check the condition of yours (as this could have failed at 80 on the outside lane :eek: leaving me with no lights or engine :eek: )
Its for that reason that I apply lots of WD40 to all the wiring looms and connections.... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts