Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been really busy at work for the past few weeks so haven't had time to plan for my trip away next week!

I live in Portsmouth and looking to ride up to Wales across brecon beacons then ride north upto Snowdonia.. my welsh cousin reccomended I go over to Anglesey island whilst I'm up that way too.

I was then thinking of riding east across to the Peak districts, then North through the yorkshire dales eventually ending up in the Lake districts (would like to go kayaking on lake windermere (never kayaked before, nor have a great interest, just for some strange reason want to do it and thats what adventure ridings all about isnt it? do things you wouldn't normally do? haha)

Thing is, I've never done this touring stuff before, I don't have GPS (unless I find something in my budget this week) so I don't really know the best routes or time scales etc.. I've got 9/10 days to play with, any ideas how long my proposed destinations are likely to take? I will probably ride for most of each day but would like to stop if I see something interesting/photo opportunities etc.

Also, not sure how to come back? do I aim to get there about mid week then ride the same destinatations back but different roads etc or is there a better way back?

Would really appricieate tips and advice on planning this thing, I don't need too much detail as I'm riding solo and can "wing it" to a certain degree :) although currently not even sure of the best route to wales haha :D

I'd like to "see" things as well as ride nice roads so suggestions welcome :)

Camping all week.... (might stop at a premier inn or something for one of the nights maybe)

·
Austin's Son
190 Posts
The road between Newtown and Llandrindod Wells is amazing! Did it last week and the surface is really good (hardly any potholes!) and on the trip down (going south) I saw about 6 cars, which lead to lots of hooning by me... and for trips in the lakes see the stuff I posted bcf ;)

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
North Wales near Bala on the A4212 Bala to Trawsfynned road is a white water rafting and kayaking centre - good to stop for lunch and watch if you don't get to participate

Beddgelert - Ffestiniog

Plenty of steam trains and active steam railways

There are lots of other areas of interest - Portmerrion (The Prisoner)

Electric Mountain and the lake aside Llanberis pass near Llanberis was used for filming part of the recent release - Clash of the Titans

Castles - too many to mention

Oh yeah did I mention mountains !!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I have travelled from the NW to Portsmouth a few times, and tended to go A roads south through Telford Bridgnorth Kidderminster Worcester then picked up the M5 till Gloucester then A417 to Swindon then Marlborough, Sailsbury Southampton, Portsmouth. You may have to do it the other way round :rolleyes::D:D

The A470 is a good road especially from Bleanau Festiniog up to Bwets y coed just been relaid, great surface and stunning scenery from there up to lakes bit restricted A6 crap M6 just hack it up there :thumbright:

Agree with Paul-S the whitewater rafting at Bala is a laugh done it a couple of times :thumbright:

Enjoy :thumb:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
The road between Newtown and Llandrindod Wells is amazing! Did it last week and the surface is really good (hardly any potholes!) and on the trip down (going south) I saw about 6 cars, which lead to lots of hooning by me... and for trips in the lakes see the stuff I posted bcf ;)
That'll be the A483 from Llanelwedd to Newtown.

To get from Brecon to Builth Wells (near Llanelwedd) try the B4520.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I've been really busy at work for the past few weeks so haven't had time to plan for my trip away next week!

I live in Portsmouth and looking to ride up to Wales across brecon beacons then ride north upto Snowdonia.. my welsh cousin reccomended I go over to Anglesey island whilst I'm up that way too.

I was then thinking of riding east across to the Peak districts, then North through the yorkshire dales eventually ending up in the Lake districts (would like to go kayaking on lake windermere (never kayaked before, nor have a great interest, just for some strange reason want to do it and thats what adventure ridings all about isnt it? do things you wouldn't normally do? haha)

Thing is, I've never done this touring stuff before, I don't have GPS (unless I find something in my budget this week) so I don't really know the best routes or time scales etc.. I've got 9/10 days to play with, any ideas how long my proposed destinations are likely to take? I will probably ride for most of each day but would like to stop if I see something interesting/photo opportunities etc.

Also, not sure how to come back? do I aim to get there about mid week then ride the same destinatations back but different roads etc or is there a better way back?

Would really appricieate tips and advice on planning this thing, I don't need too much detail as I'm riding solo and can "wing it" to a certain degree :) although currently not even sure of the best route to wales haha :D

I'd like to "see" things as well as ride nice roads so suggestions welcome :)

Camping all week.... (might stop at a premier inn or something for one of the nights maybe)
All routes through Wales are good, especially as they always lead to Ireland or England !!:p:p:p:p:toothy2::toothy2::toothy2::toothy2::toothy2::toothy2::toothy2:

·
Ooh Aah Cantona!
177 Posts
I always think Harlech Castle is amazing and if you get to Bala there is a nice twisty out back of the lake towards Lake Vyrnwy (spelling). If you get to Anglesey, Newborough Beach is an absolute must, especially if there is a decent sunset in the offing. The views from Newborough over to the Dragons Back are Fantastic. Hells Mouth Bay near Abersoch is also worth a visit if the wind is up and you like beach combing. Enjoy your trip.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Topping stretch of road and made better with the road works over recent years. Lots of crashes on this stretch so BEWARE cars parked in laybys with tall men in them! Same goes for the more high profile jam sandwich and I believe in the past, the occasional helicopter at weekends!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi Wheelie,

If you have time, the Lleyn peninsula is worth a scout round. You can see it in a day, and mid-week the roads aren't too bad. There are places to get past the inevitable caravans and speedboats, and the beaches make good rest stops. Views on a good day are fantastic.

I live in Newborough on Anglesey, and I second the comments about the beach and about Holyhead! There are a few good backroads on the island, and a dual carriageway to get to the M6 fast when you've had enough. I'm happy to offer tea/beer/food/workshop and overnight stop if you need it. My folks are from Pompey, so I should be able to understand you. PM me if you want to meet up, or need help.

If you take the Oswestry by-pass route from Shrewsbury, there is a biker's cafe at Montford Bridge, at a picnic stop. It's quieter and more civilised than Motorway stops. Personally, having done the Porstmouth Anglesey trip many times, I'd go the A32 North from Fareham, Corhampton Down cross country to Winchester, various routes if you want to avoid A34/M4, off near Swindon onto the A417/A419, Kington (or Knighton, can never remember which, Hereford area), get onto the A470 and enjoy! Get to Betws and take the A5 towards Bangor. Bypass Bangor on the A55, to Anglesey. A day round the Island and/or the Lleyn, and off to the lakes.

Fingers crossed for the weather, and take a good rain suit. The Welsh word for July translates as 'end of summer'.

Tim.

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
We were in Snowdonia last weekend. 4 days of solid sunshine!

Based in Betws-Y-Coed. There are just great roads everywhere, if you are not in a hurry. The minor A's and B's have some of the most beautiful scenery.

Road surfaces vary wildly though. Some are fantastic, smooth and flowing - others appear to have been planed just before someone changed their mind and decided to spray and chip it instead. You can feel the bike squirming around as you get "cross-rutted" when shifting road position. As I said, not a problem if you are not in a hurry. Oddly enough one of the best stretches of road we came across was on a section marked "Temporary Surface"! :confused:

On the whole a really good place to visit. Oh and no bother from the constabulary at all, we even met a really nice lady Traffic Warden in Caernarfon who informed us we had just parked in a no parking zone, gave us directions to a car park (200 yards away :)) and told us how glad she was that we had parked when she was patrolling that area as if we had left the bikes sh would be forced to give us a £35 ticket!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts