Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well eventually got away on the bike but to a very bad start....:(
followed a small forestry path and forgot about the panniers :( hit a branch on the floor and knocked one out of shape...............
but worse than that is that the path came to a dead end and when riding back down strangely the gps jumped out of the holder and fell face down breaking the screen(not actually the screen cause its working but the clear plastic bit at front). gutted...:(

anyhows one left aups and took a stroll up to the lake for my dinner and a little play with ones new camera. i'll try not to break it.:rolleyes:
DSCN0010.jpg DSCN0011.jpg DSCN0014.jpg

after a quick lunch of salad and fruit i tried a swim in the lake but the water is still too cold. only risked it to my knees...:D
from here is where i decided to follow the forestry track when things went wrong! ;)
so after arriving back on the black stuff i headed over towards manosque where i picked some apricots from the local farm stall for the journey, method in my madness being everytime i stop to take a picture i can have an apricot..:)
at the back of sisteron just north of manosque is another col de something so off i went.....
DSCN0019.jpg

although this sign was a godsend.....the road was terrible! rough as hell and they've just poured down some black stuff and poured the chippings on top so making a very slow ride on the corners:(
and was it all worth it for this...........
DSCN0020.jpg DSCN0022.jpg DSCN0021.jpg

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
shoul'nt they be warning the sheep??
the boy is welsh dont you know....:D
DSCN0023.jpg

banging on now from here i headed for montelimar for tonights stay and i caught these few on the way....
DSCN0024.jpg DSCN0025.jpg DSCN0027.jpg DSCN0028.jpg DSCN0029.jpg DSCN0030.jpg

well thats it for today folks.
come back tomorrow for live in the saddle with kevin.....:D:D:D

tomorrow morning i'll be heading up through the ardeche and then on towards oradour sur glane...we'll see how far i get. thanks for reading and it's goodnight from me.:thumbup:

after i've eaten my apricots...:) if i start to slur it's the wine not me :D

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Definately calendar material. :thumbup::thumbup:
DSCN0020.jpg

Reactions: 621andy

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry guys, last nights hotel did'nt have the wifi working. shame they did'nt mention it before i put "ma cheri" in the garage and opened the wine!
catch up later with the ardeche from yesterday, oradour and the ride to millau today.......

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Great stuff Kevin

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so here we are again with a lot of reporting in front of me and lots of lovely piccies:D
kicked off yesterday morning from montelimar and no i did'nt make a wrong turn to holland......
DSCN0031.jpg

you just gotta love them french roundabouts....i do :)
anyhows after a quick stop of essential fluids caffeine/petrol off we went in search of all things beautiful...........in the ardeche
DSCN0032.jpg
and here we are at the gorges..............
DSCN0033.jpg DSCN0039.jpg

DSCN0038.jpg DSCN0036.jpg DSCN0035.jpg DSCN0034.jpg
the problem with these places is stopping/get off bike/camera from bag etc.....
DSCN0044.jpg DSCN0046.jpg

DSCN0045.jpg
and just when you think its ok......around the next corner......goats!
oh nice goats milk coffee mmmmmmm
DSCN0047.jpg

thought it tasted funny, did'nt realise till after it was a billy goat! :(
i thought it strange that the goat asked for a cigarette after i'd finished...:toothy10:
DSCN0048.jpg
and on i went.......
DSCN0051.jpg DSCN0054.jpg DSCN0056.jpg DSCN0052.jpg
oops and whats this......a market....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
now kevin likes afrench market but i did'nt get very far because the guy selling the garlic wants to talk bikes...then a belgian lad turns up on a xt600 and we're talking. about 10 mins later about 6 coaches arrive!
DSCN0057.jpg DSCN0058.jpg
not being bothered now to walk the market as it's bouncing with people, i grabbed some fruit..........
now guess whats in the tank bag........:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
DSCN0059.jpg

bloody germans....have you seen what they done to gradpa's bike! :(
DSCN0060.jpg

and on i went just cruising............
DSCN0061.jpg DSCN0067.jpg DSCN0068.jpg DSCN0069.jpg DSCN0070.jpg DSCN0071.jpg DSCN0073.jpg
DSCN0063.jpg DSCN0065.jpg
time for a quick refreshment stop.............
DSCN0076.jpg DSCN0077.jpg DSCN0079.jpg
now the next village i think was called le puy en valey and looked like it had some great things to offer it's visitor's but time was'nt on my side sadly.
DSCN0081.jpg DSCN0082.jpg DSCN0083.jpg

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also there but i posted the wrong pic.... DSCN0080.jpg

now as i said time was not on my side and i wanted to reach limoges........
so i took the cheesy route.............:toothy10:
DSCN0084.jpg
sorry about that.....;)
and down the cheesy road i went to limoges...
DSCN0085.jpg DSCN0088.jpg DSCN0091.jpg DSCN0092.jpg DSCN0087.jpg
so here we are at limoges after a long days riding..............
now whats in kevins tank bag???????
DSCN0093.jpg
that's right bread and wine. if it's good enough for jesus.................
so i settled in and opened my bottle of pis..:mrgreen:
DSCN0095.jpg
this is when i realised the wifi was'nt working....:(
so went for a walk around the block..............
DSCN0098.jpg DSCN0099.jpg DSCN0102.jpg
now thats it for yesterday's ride to limoges..... i finished off the wine(as you do) and went to bed........

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
woke up this morning and "ma cherie" was raring to go. so i checked her vital fluids and greased some other bits before mounting my ride...;)
DSCN0105.jpg
and off we went to oradour......now if you dont know the story of this village please check it out here
Oradour-sur-Glane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
failing that here's a little insite....
On 10 June, Diekmann's battalion sealed off the town of Oradour-sur-Glane, having confused it with nearby Oradour-sur-Vayres and ordered all the townspeople – and anyone who happened to be in or near the town – to assemble in the village square, ostensibly, to have their identity papers examined. In addition to the residents of the village, the SS also apprehended six people who did not live there but had the misfortune to be riding their bikes through the village when the Germans arrived.
All the women and children were locked in the church while the village was looted. Meanwhile, the men were led to six barns and sheds where machine-gun nests were already in place.
According to the account of a survivor, the soldiers began shooting at them, aiming for their legs so that they would die more slowly. Once the victims were no longer able to move, the soldiers covered their bodies with fuel and set the barns on fire. Only six men escaped; one of them was later seen walking down a road heading for the cemetery and was shot dead. In all, 190 men perished.
The soldiers proceeded to the church and placed an incendiary device there. After it was ignited, women and children tried to escape through the doors and windows of the church, but they were met with machine-gun fire. A total of 247 women and 205 children died in the carnage. Only two women and one child survived; one was 47-year-old Marguerite Rouffanche. She slid out by a rear sacristy window, followed by a young woman and child;[SUP][3][/SUP] the Germans' attention was aroused and the three were shot. Marguerite Rouffanche was wounded and her companions were killed. She crawled to some pea bushes behind the church, where she remained hidden overnight until she was rescued the following morning. Another group of about twenty villagers had fled Oradour-sur-Glane as soon as the soldiers had appeared. That night, the village was partially razed.
A few days later, survivors were allowed to bury the dead. No fewer than 642 inhabitants of Oradour-sur-Glane had been murdered in a matter of hours. Adolf Diekmann claimed that the episode was a just retaliation for partisan activity in nearby Tulle and the kidnapping of Helmut Kämpfe.

i arrived at oradour.... DSCN0111.jpg

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
now on my way here today i knew it was going to be a sad and emotional moment at oradour. it seemed strange that my gps says i'm 1/2 mile away and everything just seems so normal, people doing they're thing etc and i just cant say how i felt. it was strange.......probably me.
on arrival there's a visitor's center which you need to pass through for entry to the village, entry to the martyr's village is free. there is a tour in the visitors center €7.80 showing the full story of what happened and also some video's are playing which were filmed at the time so be prepared! althougha little expensive i found it gives you a better understanding before entering the village..........
DSCN0116.jpg
entering the village just felt like i was entering any other ruins with the birds singing etc but walking around things soon change....
DSCN0118.jpg DSCN0120.jpg DSCN0122.jpg DSCN0128.jpg DSCN0132.jpg DSCN0134.jpg DSCN0130.jpg DSCN0126.jpg DSCN0124.jpg

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the last picture reads........... place of touture, here a group of men was massacred and burnt by the nazis.
onto the church where the women and children were killed......

DSCN0135.jpg DSCN0138.jpg DSCN0139.jpg DSCN0140.jpg
looking at the size of this church and it was filled with hundreds of women and children.
the plaque on the wall outside reads here is where hundreds of women and children were massacred by the nazis..

the next picture really brought the tears to my eyes and again now as i'm writing this...
the remains of a pram that once carried a promising life, left in front of the alter as if a sacrifice to the gods.
DSCN0141.jpg

just unbelievable...............

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
its a very emotional place just walking around seeing everything and knowing what went on there.....

DSCN0143.jpg DSCN0145.jpg DSCN0147.jpg DSCN0149.jpg DSCN0151.jpg DSCN0153.jpg DSCN0155.jpg DSCN0157.jpg DSCN0154.jpg

then its up to the cemetery.....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
one thing most of these graves have in common is the date 10 june 1944
DSCN0159.jpg DSCN0162.jpg DSCN0161.jpg DSCN0160.jpg
whole families just wiped out....
DSCN0165.jpg
and age did'nt matter........lacroix roland just 12 days
DSCN0167.jpg

DSCN0169.jpg DSCN0175.jpg DSCN0181.jpg DSCN0193.jpg DSCN0196.jpg DSCN0190.jpg DSCN0184.jpg DSCN0187.jpg DSCN0178.jpg DSCN0172.jpg
these are the last pics of oradour.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
walking around oradour was an emotional nightmare, it's the only place in france where people ignore each other. no smiles or "bonjour" as a matter of respect. but there was many people wiping their eyes. i spent 3 hrs at oradour doing the tour and visiting the village wiping many a tear it's truly unbelieveable but worth a visit.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i did'nt take many photo's for a while after leaving oradour. but i got back into the spirit later on.
DSCN0197.jpg DSCN0200.jpg DSCN0207.jpg DSCN0211.jpg DSCN0214.jpg DSCN0218.jpg DSCN0222.jpg DSCN0228.jpg DSCN0231.jpg DSCN0230.jpg DSCN0226.jpg DSCN0224.jpg DSCN0220.jpg DSCN0216.jpg DSCN0217.jpg DSCN0212.jpg DSCN0209.jpg DSCN0202.jpg DSCN0205.jpg DSCN0198.jpg
sorry i've rushed these pics through without much explanation. its the run down from oradour to millau ready to ride/visit the bridge tomorrow.

oh and its 3am and i'm off to bed....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts