Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lovely 650 on an 02 plate with all the luggage and a strange oiler (not Scott). Am a little alarmed at the seating position tho. I think i will be forming a squeeky voice and a sorebum in no time! Are there resolutions to this issue?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
well wear with your new bike your going to love it . first thing is you need to get your buttocks as far forward into the lowest part of the seat that you can then hang your right buttock off the side of the seat a couple of inches this will alloy you to steady yourself when you come to a stop and have control over the gear shift and side stand . it might be very obvious but the first thing you need to do is get used to the bike at low speed walking pace u turns hill starts in which case stop in first hang your left buttock off the side so you can use your rear brake . practice practice practice . you will probably find you can manage the bike just fine it only takes getting used to . I was on a charity run one day and a late bloomer on a lovely clean Yamaha cruiser was having trouble takeing off from a start fine riding along just looked like a clown letting the bike conk out a real nice fella though . the bikes are very easy to ride that will be your only trouble . oh yeah and welcome to the forum too and sorry about all the talk of buttocks but I was trying to be polite and not say arse . damn it I said it anyway :toothy9:

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm 5' 10" with a 30" inside leg and it took a few weeks to get use to the xtra height compared to a VTR1000. As mentioned you need to slide your cheeks over slightly to the side you want to get your foot down on. Like riding a bike when you first have to think about it but soon it'll be second nature. Long rides are comfy on my '01 650 with no problems on the bum - eat more pies?

Any pics you can share of your new bike?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
an easy way to drop the seat height a little bit is by a lower profile tyre I have an avon road rider 130/70/17 I picked up in a breakers with 7mm thread in the centre for 40 euro to put on the back of my transalp 600 . times are hard and my other bike needed 2 new boots and a chain and sprocket set . so the poor old transalp has to make do with a hand me down for a turn . I know this will drop it down a little and slow it down too I put a 16 tooth front sprocket on to try and help counteract the effect a little its smashing to ride with the continental conti attack 130/80 on there . only difference is I am probably moving a little quicker on the forestry tracks . I will be probably sticking to paved roads while its on as I think rocks might cut road tyres ?

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
A lovely 650 on an 02 plate with all the luggage and a strange oiler (not Scott). Am a little alarmed at the seating position tho. I think i will be forming a squeeky voice and a sorebum in no time! Are there resolutions to this issue?
Airhawk. Simple solution that you will quickly consider to be the best investment or mod on your 'alp!! :D I bought mine in .... 2006 or 2007, still going strong after what must be 40-50K miles on various bikes (and scooter)

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I though you had trouble reaching the ground Queasy Rider send me in the wrong direction . there is a bloke in England called Tony Archer who remodels seats he's highly regarded on hear I seen photos of seats he's done on hear they look spot on . if your own seat is very clean then maybe try and pick up a secondhand seat and get that altered then you can put back on the original if you decide to sell it on and put your modified seat on sale hear and get most your money back .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes i have no problem with the height as i have 33 inch inside leg so dont really want to lower as i might increase lilihood of cramps. Will look into airhawk tho and buttock experimentation!

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes i have no problem with the height as i have 33 inch inside leg so dont really want to lower as i might increase lilihood of cramps. Will look into airhawk tho and buttock experimentation!
"Buttock experimentation" sounds like Jo LO bum cheek implants on the way!!:rolleyes: The Airhawk lifts you only 1/2", but if you want more quick and easy height raise, get a gel pad cushion UNDER the Airhawk which is what i use on my Honda Falcon for longer trips. That or have a seat remodel as Alias suggested. I had my Falcon seat pad raised by 50mm as well as the other add ons, but it was ridiculously low...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I messed about with several things for ages, made my own seat pads to raise the seat level (long legs) and get rid of the restrictive hump that won't allow you to sit where you want then I took it to Tony Archer and let him level it off ---- should have done it in the first place :thumbup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I messed about with several things for ages, made my own seat pads to raise the seat level (long legs) and get rid of the restrictive hump that won't allow you to sit where you want then I took it to Tony Archer and let him level it off ---- should have done it in the first place :thumbup:
Who is tony archer?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
anybody want to lower their seat height and speed fit a 130/70/17 rear tyre . I put a avon road rider on mine . it ruined my lovely feisty transalp and turned it in to a Honda 50 angry9: update my transalp is just fine with the road tyre it rides much the same in fact I went up a rocky mountain track with it the roughest place I have ever been on a bike in my life and the highest elevation I was ever at in my life it done it no bother at all . it don't fare out so well in wet mud though .

·
Registered
300 Posts
I looked at buying an AirHawk seat pad after doing a long trip that just about crippled my arse on my 700 Alp. After seeing the price of them I settled on an inflatable stadium seat pad for around 10 quid. Does the job for me. :)

Nick.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well after a few weeks i can see the backside issue has to be resolved, bit plenty of options there. Having changed the oil and filter and generally tweaked bits an pieces and given it a bit of tlc i am left wondering about this business of pilot jets mod?? Is does seem a little rough at low revs and am wondering if first option is to gets carb balance checked? Also could be that the chain and sprockets are not brilliant. ��

·
Registered
186 Posts
Definitely do a carb balance see if that makes a difference if not maybe they need cleaning out or maybe they need both. Don't know what the pilot jet mod is think some people have swapped main jets? If the chain and sprockets are knackered and you are going to replace them the advice on here is to stick to the Honda original gearbox sprocket for the benefit of the output shaft.

Got a chain oiler on mine and think it pays its still on the original chain/sprockets at 28,450 miles and I'me
hoping to get over 30,000 like some other people have done, the oil just flings the muck off I've never cleaned the chain once but then its never really been run in adverse conditions anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
well wear with your new bike your going to love it . first thing is you need to get your buttocks as far forward into the lowest part of the seat that you can then hang your right buttock off the side of the seat a couple of inches this will alloy you to steady yourself when you come to a stop and have control over the gear shift and side stand . it might be very obvious but the first thing you need to do is get used to the bike at low speed walking pace u turns hill starts in which case stop in first hang your left buttock off the side so you can use your rear brake . practice practice practice . you will probably find you can manage the bike just fine it only takes getting used to . I was on a charity run one day and a late bloomer on a lovely clean Yamaha cruiser was having trouble takeing off from a start fine riding along just looked like a clown letting the bike conk out a real nice fella though . the bikes are very easy to ride that will be your only trouble . oh yeah and welcome to the forum too and sorry about all the talk of buttocks but I was trying to be polite and not say arse . damn it I said it anyway :toothy9:
Cheeky!!!:blob5:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts