Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to fit GPR Alu rads and silicone hoses to my RD03.

Can't seem to get the front head to thermostat right, it links and one end or the other however I try to fit it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
What's the inside diameter ? Maybe a copper bend of household plumbing to the exact degree's to support put inside.. but what do the others do when hot ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I used both ends of a car heater hose to get the exact bends I needed for my '03 Transalp XL650V some years ago after the radiator sprang a leak

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've managed to get the hose to fit but I'd have to reposition the front ignition coils.

The hose is totally the wrong shape.

PXL_20210327_170047302.jpg

Thinking of trying "super-flexi" hose from Viper as it's wire reinforced to prevent kinking.

Either that or just buy the Samco kit.

Preferably in Vintage Black.

The Samco kit looks like it has the correct shaped cylinder head to thermostat housing hoses unlike the GPR kit.

Thankfully the GPR hoses cost no more than buying the GPR rads on their own.

I've trial fitted the radiator drain to pump hose assembly with the protectors from the stock hoses. It's a bit of a tight squeeze to get the hose to fit with the reservoir bottle and flywheel cover but it fits.

Was going to fit a 750 water pump but it's not the pump that was leaking, I crimped the o-ring seal when I fitted it the first time. I have a new seal and I'll use a little Threebond to hold it in place.

Need to order more hi-grip stainless clamps as there weren't enough in the Samco clamp kit I bought. I think the GPR hoses have thicker hoses than the Samco kit.

Might as well change the thermostat housing as the lower half is quite pitted where the hoses clamp on and the thermostat probably could do with being replaced too.

I'll try and find a decent Transalp 600 housing as it's the same part.

I'll replace the hose between the rad cap and the reservoir bottle too. The new rad has a larger bore on the overflow anyway which matches the bottle connection.

Engine has to come back out as the front cylinder head right hand spark plug is cross threaded, it's only the first couple of threads so hopefully I can remove the head and re-tap from the inside without having to resort to fitting a TimeSert.

Engine mount also has to come out to do the water pump to front cylinder hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully the silicone hoses won't be affected by the heat from the exhaust, I've fitted the original rubber oversleeves to mine. Silicone can usually take more heat than rubber.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've finally found why I've had a problem with the support that goes across the engine that the coolant tank bracket bolts to. I bought a spare box of bolts and mounts from a bike that had been stripped to replace my front engine mounts as the large alloy plates were badly corroded/galled. I think I used a spare right hand lower cowl support bracket on both sides.

I've also found the horn bracket, I had bolted the horn to the fuel tank support as I couldn't see where else it could go.

I just need to find the clutch cable guide that bolts to the right radiator mount. I've seen it somewhere, I just didn't know what it was until I spotted it in the exploded parts diagram.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also bought these radiators and hoses but for my RD07. The left one had the lower pipe welded at a wrong angle and I had to cut it and weld it again. The rear cylinder head hose didn't fit because it's too wide and I had to leave the original. The one connecting both radiators was again too thick and I left the original here as well. I had one extra hose which was useless and one had to be cut shorter for the short links between the radiators and the thermostat housing.
Overall the radiator quality is not that high but the hoses look good. I hope that the whole thing doesn't leak.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Came up with a temporary solution until I get round to ordering wire reinforced silicone hoses.

I wrapped the hose from a carb diaphragm spring that was lying around in my tool box from a knackered spare NTV650 carb.

Seems to stop it kinking.

Going to order 19mm and 16mm reinforced flexible silicone coolant hoses and cut them to fit.

Reactions: Lensman
1 - 11 of 11 Posts