Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that dont know there are many devices on the market now for helping you to navigate routes that you can plan from the comfort of your home. I have tested many of these and come up with a relatively cheap way compared to some.
A Peaklife or Rage gps produced in China and can be bought for less than £100 (although the Peaklife is getting much harder to find) is the simplest way , The Rage takes a lot more work as it needs to be jail broken by the user to get it work ( it can be done though) .

The Peaklife and Rage do not come with any pre loaded maps, these have to be done by the user. I have managed to get TOMTOM, IGO8 and Memory Map to work on these devices .

Anyone who needs any advice on these and where to buy them from along with cards for the maps send me a pm .

Peaklife

Wholesale Motorcycle GPS Navigator - 3.5 Inch GPS Navigator From China

Rage

Wholesale GPS Navigation System - Motorcycle Navigator From China

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Jase,

can you supply a peaklife with Tom Tom (including Europe) and Memory Map loaded and ready to go? ( I have no idea what IGO8 is?). Does it come with a power lead so I can hard wire it to the bike and how much would such a device cost from you?

I can PM or text you if you need to discuss further.

cheers, Bob.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes can do all that mate ,Igo 8 is basically another version of TOMTOM , will call you later.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I bought a Peaklife, under the marketing banner of Bluetronics, from the Bike Show at the NEC in November which was already loaded with European maps. I've just used it to go to the Elefantentreffen in Solla last week & I was very impressed with it with one exception. It would without reason switch off, even when connected to cig plug or hard wire cable. Any suggestions? possible battery fault in unit? would love the TomTom option of twisty road routes

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check that your cradle hasn't cracked/broken ( only weak point on these), mine was doing the same recently and although was showing that it was charging just switched off. Went through all the connections and tested the pins in the cradle and they were working perfect, after a close inspection found the cradle had a crack/split just above one of the screws, hot glued it together and presto, working fine. i suspect that it was moving on the charging pins and only touching them slightly.
Never had a faulty battery .

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
old versions of Tomtom that can be found online will run on the windows OS I can run TomTom or Memory map on my Binatones which still has its original maps and navigation program,
I weatherproof those with a plastic bag and rubber band!
New Binatones are still being sold off sometimes at Halfords and Maplins

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
old versions of Tomtom that can be found online will run on the windows OS I can run TomTom or Memory map on my Binatones which still has its original maps and navigation program,
I weatherproof those with a plastic bag and rubber band!
New Binatones are still being sold off sometimes at Halfords and Maplins
I went one better a few years ago, put one in a tesco box and it worked great. Had TOMTOM and Meory Map as you can see in the photo,The problem with these and mobile phones is that they cant stand to many vibrations and will eventually pack up altogether, this was found by many users of the Road Angel navigtor that was marketed for bikes at the time.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Road angel was total crud. Awful piece of kit.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I find Road Angel OK for Memory Map but the Binatones have a sharper clearer screen and some are faster startup to map display. RA shows smoother tracking and is more weather proof, unless I use the plastic bag for the Binatone. Binatone offer larger screen 4.3" (what I use) and 5". Binatone OpSys seems fussier than RA OpSys. Pluses and minuses for each as I only use them for MM rarely as original satnavs. The MM maps are now 10 years old but I do add 'new' roads if I travel over them but most roads are old-see http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/great-roads-routes/94466-quiet-road.html and http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/great-roads-routes/81677-highest-roads-passes-uk-list.html.
Of course both are now old tech but cheap, pays your money and...etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Rage takes a lot more work as it needs to be jail broken by the user to get it work
I own a Rage unit too - but what do you mean with "jail broken"? I own several WinCE based GPS units and the RAGE was the one with the easiest way to get several programs work on it. No need to get it desktop free - you can and must define your preferred navigation app as an default option in the menu.

Got iGO8, Primo, Oziexplorer, Navigon and TwoNav running on it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tell me how you transfer routes from your pc to the Rage then ? As soon as you plug the Rage into you pc it comes up with "charging" whether it is switched on or off, the PC does not recognise it as a media device, unless you have a different version.
You have to run a small programme so that your pc sees it as a media device.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think your Rage does have an older version firmware. I read about your issue in the thread on ABR too, but all the 3 RAGE units that I bought from Chinavasion where recognized as a mass storage device from my windows PC. And I know about 4 more RAGE units on a german forum that show identical behaviour.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could have been i was too eager to get one, i was on they're mailing list and ordered one when they were first available, i did email them to say that the device was locked and you could not put any maps on there.( i did manage to get it jailbroken though ;) ) maybe they have updated the firmware.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fine you got it working!

Do you know anything about Bluethooth on the RAGE? Is the unit sending permanent (like the Peaklife GPS) or does it go into standby between the turnaround commands?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had a brand new Rage through the other day, it has the latest firmware and still comes up as mass storage device, until you can alter it to use active sync how do you send gpx or any other files to it ? It is fine if you just want to use it as a navigation tool but if you want to plan and track routes you will have to get it to active sync with your pc, This is the problem that most people are having, thankfully a few of us have mangaed to do just that.
Another issue that has been highlighted is the conflict of com ports between different maps, i have a programme installed that stops these conflicts.
Have you managed to get TOMTOM to work ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
As soon as you plug the Rage into you pc it comes up with "charging" whether it is switched on or off, the PC does not recognise it as a media device
Had a brand new Rage through the other day, it has the latest firmware and still comes up as mass storage device, until you can alter it to use active sync
If you carefully read your first post about the Rage, you should realize that firmware has been developed. First it was useless and needs to be jailbroken, second user has the choice to switch between mass storage or active sync. Mass storage enabled as default is what most people need.

how do you send gpx or any other files to it ?
Connected as a mass storage you can use any file manager on your PC to copy GPX or other to the corresponding folder on the Rage.

It is fine if you just want to use it as a navigation tool but if you want to plan and track routes you will have to get it to active sync with your pc.
I don´t second this - you only need active sync for planning if your preferred planning software on the PC recommends this. If you use planning software which can save the planning result as GPX or other, you are fine with mass storage behaviour.

Another issue that has been highlighted is the conflict of com ports between different maps, i have a programme installed that stops these conflicts.
Are you talking about Port Splitter? If you got a working version of this or any other program which does the job, please share! I am really interested in this thing.

Have you managed to get TOMTOM to work ?
I am not interested in TomTom, I got all programs I need:
- iGO8 with igo8.3_plus2MOD for motorcycling with planned routes
- Primo 2 (aka iGO9) with Dreamteam Skin for car use
- Navigon 6 and 7 route calcilation customized for curvy roads - unplanned motorcycling
- TwoNav for offroad activities or countries with minor cards coverage

·
Registered
26 Posts
Finally found a port splitter, who does the job. But the results are not good - the RAGE unit is not powerfull enough to handle iGO8 and TwoNav running at same time. iGO8 voices (even no TTS ones) are stuttering and the user interface stucks at interaction. Same with TwoNav where scrolling and zooming with raster images is just impossible.
At last I got rid of the port splitter and am now running only one program at one time. Running two ones would be a nice gadget, but not necessary at all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts