Honda XRV Forum banner
2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  barftone 
#1 ·
Just watched an hour long programme about the Peak District National Park, basically was about the residents trying to ban ALL green laning and it looks like they are getting the ear of the local and park authorities. I've never riden the Peak Park (or any girl with a similar name :)) but it does make you think about what could happen in other places where I do ride (Hampshire/Wiltshire).
Think all we green laners need to consider offering support when asked to lobby against closures. Also to consider residents when we ride - the more noise we make, the faster we ride, the closer we'll get to going no where.
Worth trying to catch on the BBC iplayer.

#4 ·
I didn't know that this program was on so thanks for the link.

It's a long time since I've done any greenlaning but I have on a few occasions had discussions with Ramblers whilst out riding my mountain bike even the odd time whilst on a bridleway where the walker is adamant that I shouldn't be there even though I have every right too, sometimes there is no way that the other person will be persuaded because they just won't listen to reason. Not listening to reason was evident in the program, there is no way that those people will accept that there is a right to ride a bike or 4X4 on these lanes which is a pity because if they keep gnawing away at those with the power to make change there is a good chance that they will get their way.

I used to like doing Mastiles and Stockdale Lane up in the Yorkshire Dales National Park but since I've got back in to motorcycling its been banned so I can only do it by foot or pushbike which is a pity (having said that, I don't fancy the idea of taking the @ on those lanes, maybe I'm just not man enough!)

Just my tuppence worth...

#5 ·
intresting program, i belive a small number of off roaders are sometimes viewed as the majority,

also if i did'nt have an intrest in off roading and lived there i mite be a bit like some in the program

but hey i dont live there so keep them open ! and close them say every other weekend then walkers could walk without bikes etc 2 weekends a month

and keep clear the other 2 weekends so bikers and 4x4 could enjoy them simples everybody happy or is that too easy :p

#6 ·
Watched the programme last night. Some fairly entrenched views there. I wouldn't fancy the council leader's job!

One thing that struck me was the way the bikers belted through the group of ramblers. I accept that they might have been waved through, but I still see it as a bit provocative. On Mike's trips in N Wales, we usually stop and let any walkers past, or trickle past if waved on. It doesn't slow us down any, it's just considerate, and doesn't give the anti lobby any ammo. We've never met any animosity and get a hello from most of them.

On the other hand, I think the biker's comment about 'ginger beer and sandwiches' hit the nail as far as some were concerned. The protesters seem to want their misty-eyed view of 'how it was' to be kept, undisturbed. I see the same, rather blinkered attitude in many of the anti wind turbine lobby, and it is essentially, 'I've got what I want, I like it this way and I don't want anyone to change it while I'm alive.' Which could be rephrased as, 'I want what I want and sod anyone else, now or in the future.' And its often the same group of older, reasonably well-off, self-respecting, fine, upstanding members of society who behave in such a selfish way. They probably don't see it that way, but looked at objectively, how else can you see it? It's a small, crowded island and it needs tolerance on both sides: even the bikers pay towards the upkeep of the National Parks.

Would the objectors also stop the farmers using their 4x4s and quads to check their animals and keep the countryside in the 'natural state' that the ramblers like so much? Should they be forced to walk to work?

Sorry if that's a bit spiky, must have got out of bed the wrong side. Need to go for a ride in the hills.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.