Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone.
Greetings from Denmark.
New to the Forum and to the Africa Twin.
Had the idea (I know it's blasphemy) to convert an XRV 750 1992 to electric motor run by batteries and solar power, to prove that EV is possible with a heavy robust Enduro machine. Bought a nice RD04 in Poland, originally imported from France and never registered in PL (93.000Km. 2.400 EUR) but found it to be in too good shape to pull apart so I have started riding it instead.
Found another RD04, 1990 with 143.000Km in the south of Poland, with an additional RD04 as an almost complete donor bike - only a few parts missing. Two bikes for 2.150 EUR Papers and everything, full set of documents!!! I thought about it for a split second, then pushed the daughter and wife into my fathers van and drove 1000Km to Wizla and 1000Km back with the two bikes.

You know you have purchased a Legendary machine when a random dude in a parking lot in the south af Poland approach you in the parking lot because he has caught a faint glimpse of the rear end of two Africa Twins in the back of my van (packed with luggage and accessories on top, bikes barely visible) - and give you a smile from ear to ear and a thumbs up with a "AFRICA TWIN" he then opened his fleece jacket to display a polo with a DAKAR logo on the chest...I was amongst friends ;)

Overall Plans:
RD04, 1992, HRC 93.000Km - used for daily commuting
RD04, 1990, 143.000Km - total refurbishment and build of Rothmans Dakar Replica with Boano Tank front and rear etc.
RD04, 1992,
XRV 750N, NH-138H,
94.000Km - use frame, wheels, suspension and break system for electric 7,5kW motor and 72 volt battery EV motorcycle with 1,5 hour range. Sell rest of parts not needed.

Looking forward to getting to know you and your machines/ projects.

BR
Jakob Munkgaard - Hedehusene, Denmark

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
Greetings - I look forward to your build thread on this electrifying project.

Had the pleasure of meeting some kind Danish folk at the Dutch Assen TT many moons ago - they had very well maintained older bikes with well engineered mods - we shared horror at the way camping Germans destroyed their newer bikes for entertainment late into the night - esp after the Danish folk told me of the import taxes on their bikes.

If you can source a Tesla cars' 18650 batteries then that should help enormously. The fun bit is getting a balance between cost, capacity and weight.

Here's my off the shelf KTM tiddler pub bike!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You Wicky.
Currently I have a heap of 12V sealed lead batteries that I am building a 72V bloc from for the Proof of Concept. However I have a new battery "carussel" designed based on the Tesla model 3, Lithium 20700 cell. That is way into the future, as it requires a new frame design, approval etc.

There was no import tax on my RD04s since I imported from inside the EU, however registration fee (TAX!) is EUR 2.280 and EUR 2.460 for the age and milage my bikes hold. Registration fee in DK for new bikes....forget it! 85% for the first 8000 EUR 150% for the remainder of the value of the bike...so we try to take good care of them as long as possible.

I will definitely post on the electric project. I currently have the throttle, motor, motor controller and batteries sorted out, so only a few bits and pieces missing before building begins.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts