Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspected it might happen again when I realised that the nylon worm gear in the speedo gearbox dies because the two bearing washers it sits on either wear away or corrode, and that my two washers are already paper thin. Still, I'd have liked to have had more than 1000 miles out of that £20 + part! It looks like I'll have to fork out £70 or so for a new gear box to be on the safe side, but since I had the same problem with a new gear box on a TA after only 20,000 miles I'm not convinced it will be a long term investment.....

What I wanted to ask is, has any body changed their clock(s) for one of the digital set ups that use a magnet pick up? Im thinking of something like the Touratech IMO-100R (currently 305 Euro, so around half of what I will have paid if I get a speedo drive complete)? See http://www.touratech.de/shop/enter.html?lang=en-us. If you have, how easy are they to fit? Are they reliable? Is the small size difficult to read - are they back lit? If anyone has tried a different make, are there any comments on those? It's a big outlay even compared with a replacement speedo drive, so it has to be good. I realise Sigma make a motorcycle-specific cycle computer, but as far as I know it's removable, takes batteries and is not backlit for night riding. Also, one concern I have for all replacement speedos is that my mileage reading will be gone (a trip odometer is essential for fuel stops though), and I take great satisfaction in watching the numbers roll past! Actually, if a bike has no permanent mileage record, is this even legal?

So many questions. Any answers?

Stig[/url]

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,027 Posts
It is totally legal to wind a mileometer back to zero or put a new one on (or even a secondhand one)if it is not done to defraud someone.

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah! Thanks for that - that's one question answered. It makes sense, otherwise the next time I smash my instruments flipping the bike at the lights (with that extra low gearing I've been experimenting with....) I'd be prosecuted for fitting brand new OE clocks! Not that that scenario has ever happened of course!

Stig

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I've had to go ahead and order the gearbox - it's the cheapest way, and the only way I can be sure I'll get a bit of use out of it. I have an MOT on Friday, though I doubt they'll test ride it. I think the premature failure of the TA gearbox was probably a result of the rubbish 'grease' I was using at the time (I hope). The new part from David Silver was £85. I'd still like to hear any comments about equipment like the IMO-100 or 300. If this doesn't make it more that 20,000 miles I'll have to bite the bullet and get one. 12 Inch....make sure you get that water out of your speedo drive and clear up any corrosion, especially those washers. I think this is how the corrosion starts - mine was a mess last year and cleaning it up apparently wasn't enough.

I'd be interested to hear how many of you out there have at some time had to replace either the nylon gear or the speedo gearbox complete? I know a few of you, but the fact that I've had to do it five times over the last 11 years on three different bikes suggests either a) I'm unlucky, b) it's a weak spot or c) I'm doing something very wrong! If plenty of others have this problem I suspect it's more likely to be b).

Stig

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,027 Posts
I've only had to replace cables so far. Seen lots of DR350s wear out the nylon speedo gearbox part though including mine. Don't think a non working speedo is an MOT failure.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've got an IMO 300 on my @ and its the dogs :D
Its got some really usefull stuff on it, like you say theres no moving parts to fail.
You can easily swap between MPH and KPH for european jaunts.
You need to construct and mounting plate for holding it to dash, some idiot lights,then Connect to the Tacho, oil temp via sump plug adaptor,power supply and the speed sensor( I modified the pick up, cause the clamp that is supplied with it looks a bit mickey mouse)
Then you need the remote switchgear to allow you to scroll thru' the pages.
You need to add around 75 quid for the additional bits on top of the unit for the switch, adaptor etc.
I'll post a few photo's ( once I've taken them) of the set up if your interested.
Cheers
Andy

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Posiwev, pictures would be great! The 300 sounds like the one to have - Ive heard the magnetic sensor mount isn't very strong, and also that they can take a long time tomount properly - how long did it take you? Did you ditch the original instruments?

Cheers,

Stig

·
Registered
126 Posts
Never had a problem with the Magnet-just fix/glue it to the disc,
our right it takes a fair bit of time to fit it properly, When I get chance I'm going to replace the ally plate with carbon fibre :D

Anyhow here's a photo of the cockpit:-

The three red switches contol the unit, the idiot lights, the tacho and temp gagues are all from an RGV250.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
126 Posts
As I had the spare RGV stuff knocking around the Garage and the clocks where slightly smaller than the @ ones I decided to use them, however you can do without them altogether as the IMO displays the engine speed and the water temp if you connect to the coolant sensor-just that I like the analogue readout.
You'll still need donor warning lights though.

Andy

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, I like it - it looks pretty good. Now I'll have to save up!

Stig

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lord Stig said:
I'd be interested to hear how many of you out there have at some time had to replace either the nylon gear or the speedo gearbox complete? I know a few of you, but the fact that I've had to do it five times over the last 11 years on three different bikes suggests either a) I'm unlucky, b) it's a weak spot or c) I'm doing something very wrong! If plenty of others have this problem I suspect it's more likely to be b).

Stig
How's this: I had to replace the nylon gear twice, the speedo drive plate (that turns the gear) once.
Well, I cleaned the whole thing properly, got an expensive grease that supposedly does not wash out that easily and now the speedo works. I suspect that the real problem is that when the metal gear catches sometimes on the housing (there is some pitting) - would be possible to rectify it if you could remove the metal gear and insert a spacer below - but that is impossible. For now it works, I am counting the kilometres, because at a certain point buying nylon gears becomes more expensive than replacing the metal gearbox ;-)

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Krizz - that's interesting - it sounds like you've had a similar experience to me. I've heard of others who had the problem with the metal drive plate, but luckily it hasn't happened to me as yet. I also bought some expensive grease, but it didn't help (although that might also have been due to the corrosion damage the gear box already had). I'm hoping a new gearbox will last a lot longer if I make sure it doesn't corrode inside. It's possible that some have the defect you mention from new, which would explain why some fail and some don't. Given that enough of them go at some point it seems odd that suppliers don't carry the nylon gear (at least) in stock.....

Stig

·
Registered
23 Posts
Actually Honda in Cape Town *always* carries two of the nylon gears in stock. According to them "it is the only thing that ever goes wrong with the Africa Twin..." :D

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe you'd better slighly ask whether they have a spare fuel pump.....

That's interesting, and it makes me feel better!

Stig

1 - 15 of 15 Posts