Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent a good bit of the day in the rain / sleet / wind trying to degrease various bits of the bike.
Started of by going and buying a gallon of Gunk thinking/remembering this would cut through the grime and do the job.
Gunk sure isn't what I remember it to be - despite serious scrubbing with a stiff brush it didn't do a great job.
It doesn't smell or look the same either, if I'd bought it on-line they would get negative feedback! I normally use Swarfega oil remover (from B&Q) at about half the price and it appears to do exactly the same job.
Anyway, I eventually got all the bits clean enough to let me start prep for repainting etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
942 Posts
were you using the gunk ultra , pink stuff looks like muc off , or the original engine degreaser in an orange can ,
found the original stuff to be pretty good , never tried the pink stuff , looks more like a wash than a serious degreaser ,
have a can of jizer at the moment as that's what my local motor parts sells , seems about the same as original gunk

·
Registered
485 Posts
My lad bought me 25 litres of truck wash the stuff they use in commercial truck premises ,works brilliantly. I have a parts washer douse the offending article in the stuff leave foe15 minutes wash off job done
for big league cleaning I sprayed the complete engine then used my industrial power washer jobs a good un:thumbup:

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have some Dreumex Solu cleaner, its amazingly good degreaser, but don't use it on chromed surfaces.
I used it on the back wheel of the kids PW80 and it started to corrode the chrome.
I use it with a paintbrush and work it in then just rinse off.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Sounds stupid I know but try wheel cleaner , spray and wait 10 minuets , spray again and use a bush then rinse.
Good for engine grime but not for the really thick greased up bits .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Carefull with the truck wash,also known as tfr( traffic film remover).
Nasty stuff if not diluted correctly or left on too long.
It can stain painted surfaces ,takes the polish of plastics too.and leave white Stains on black plastics.and burn headlamp lens.
That's what makes car headlight go milky at drive in hand car washes.
Only good for getting brake dust off car wheels.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Carefull with the truck wash,also known as tfr( traffic film remover).
Nasty stuff if not diluted correctly or left on too long.
It can stain painted surfaces ,takes the polish of plastics too.and leave white Stains on black plastics.and burn headlamp lens.
That's what makes car headlight go milky at drive in hand car washes.
Only good for getting brake dust off car wheels.
All the above is true however used correctly it seems to work ok
Gunk/Jizer like nitromors paint remover have all gone through a health and safety shake up
They do not seem to be as effective as they used to be (sound like me dad all of a sudden)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts