Honda XRV Forum banner
5K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  scouseviking 
#1 ·
Guy Martin. On the surface, slightly insane!

Speed with Guy Martin - Channel 4

But checking out his kitchen, I notice a rather rare and exotic Bimota V-Due sitting in the corner, and something perhaps even more special or secret, sitting under a tarpaulin?!!

The bloke needs a "check up from the neck up" but he is such a likeable character and cheeky buggha!!!

#4 ·
What an excellent program. Guy Martin is my favorite Road Racer and it's great that he is the "bloke next door" who is so down to earth. A working mans hero if you like.

I can't believe he did it on SAND! Wearing his old race leathers and a full face helmet with sand blowing everywhere! Top man Guy. Can't wait for the next program.

#6 ·
Agree it's great program, but couldn't understand why he did it on sand ?
Sands so unpredictable & energy sapping, even a slight dusting, effects traction :confused:
As said the 100mph test run looked so easy on tarmac & considering it was only a test run, surely if he'd have been prepared & psyched up like the Pendine run he'd have reached his goal of 120+
He only had 3 minutes maximum power output in his legs, so if there'd have been able to tow him along the slip road onto the runway at around 40mph (in stead of the previous standing start) surely he'd have had a long enough runway to reach maximum speed ?
I'm no scientist though :(

#8 ·
yup he's great , the dudes got ball big enough to come in a dump truck i was crapping myself watching it hell knows how it felt to do it :toothy9:

#12 ·
Oh yes.... I'm waiting in great anticipation. :thumbright:

#13 ·
Another excellent programme from Guy. That bike was indestructable, 36mts deep, that's some depth to drown a bike in... Can't wait for next weeks...;)

#15 ·
last one was a disappointing result, as people have gone further on standard bikes but they were not guiness record attempts so don't qualify

#16 ·
Oi, pasty muncher!! Stop picking on me old mate Guy....by 'eck

I have to admit to be slightly disappointed when I saw them making that surf board to strap on the bottom of his bike, BUT, there's no taking it away from him, he did bloody well and clearly has bollocks made of black pudden or summin'. They also made a point of reading the rules which stated "foils" were allowed.

Anyway, for us bikers, he is fantastic entertainment and an British ambassador for motorcycling and motorcyclists. Hopefully he raises awareness of how nice most two-wheeled riders are.

About time for a brew I reckon!

:thumbup:

#19 ·
if he was right in the head he would not be there, a modern day Fred Dibnah as the say

#20 ·
TT Competitor
120+ mph cyclist
Rides across water
Human powered aircraft pilot
and next week, 100mph downhill sledger

I've got this theory.... they're just gonna carry on giving him challenges until they kill him!!!

Daft Buggahs!!!

#23 ·
TT Competitor
120+ mph cyclist
Rides across water
Human powered aircraft pilot
and next week, 100mph downhill sledger

I've got this theory.... they're just gonna carry on giving him challenges until they kill him!!!

Daft Buggahs!!![/QUOT
He,s not as daft as he is cabbage looking. If he feels its not safe he wouldnt do it.:blob8:
He is one beer short of a six pack though. :D:D:D

#21 ·
Tonight was good, but think next week will be better. Oh and don't forget the NW200...:D

#22 · (Edited)
Some more on Human Powered Flight Human-powered aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the machine here Southampton University Human Powered Aircraft although they do not mention C4 or Guy Martin.
The Icarus Cup page Formula 1 engineer wins Icarus Cup 2013 | Society | The Royal Aeronautical Society
I came across a book - Man Powered Flight by Sherwin pub 1971 has the outline to the original modern 1960's attempts and theory although the materials have improved and the Channel has been crossed since.
A modern online book including HPA hovercraft! http://www.humanpoweredflying.propdesigner.co.uk/
I have a slight interest as I was reading Aeronautical Engineering at Southampton in the mid 60's soon after their original flights so bits were still around in the labs and workshops, but I was at the other end of the flight spectrum- Concorde.

#25 ·
Great programme tonight. New world record holder! Even that very nice girl who rides those skeleton thingys said he was mad, lol...:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.