Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as my headlights are melted due to a duff bulb arcing out can anyone point me in the direction of a hid conversion currently available on eBay that's suitable?

Ta

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seems hid are illegal is that right?

In that case any aux lights worth getting that don't break the bank but aren't pants?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Seems hid are illegal is that right?

In that case any aux lights worth getting that don't break the bank but aren't pants?
I'm watching this thread with interest and have researched the few (quite old) threads on the subject in the AT forum.

In this country, any modification which changes the manufacturers specification for the vehicle/bike is technically illegal. But everyone here seems to be doing it! So I'm gunna do it too.

To kick the conversation along, here's my ramblings... :-D

Aux Lights

Aux halogen lights don't lift my skirt.

I'm not yet convinced those tiny LED lights are suited for my needs - they give great spread and very limited depth (as I've seen first hand on my sons 4x4) - I need both. And they're too expensive IMHO.

HID's
From the little I know about converting to HID, I believe the existing reflector and lens play a big part in a successful outcome. However one guy here (RichardG?) reported about the HID conversion on his AT back in 2007 and raved about the outcome. So maybe the AT lens and reflector are OK enough.

The other thing I read relative to the AT was the bulb depth. Apparently the AT headlight is relatively shallow and (approx 5 years ago) there was chatter about some HID bulbs not fitting in the headlight. So while my AT is disassembled, I'll be taking my headlights into the shop for a test fit before buying.

I'll also be looking at whether the rubber boot around the back of the OEM needs modifying.

I like the idea of bypassing the OEM harness for power supply and running the HID via its own harness and relay. A lot of eBay sellers include a harness and relay in the kit.

I don't want the 'blue' look so 4300k is fine for me. I'll try for 55w instead of 35w though.

My 2c worth.

Cheers
Shane

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
Seeing as my headlights are melted due to a duff bulb arcing out can anyone point me in the direction of a hid conversion currently available on eBay that's suitable?

Ta
Got mine from here. Not the cheapest but the customer care is beyond good. Any problems give them a ring and they'll answer your queries.

as for being illegal my bike's just gone through a MOT with them fitted.

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
I don't want the 'blue' look so 4300k is fine for me. I'll try for 55w instead of 35w though.
A pure white HID is 5000k, anything above that starts to become blue all the way up to 20000k which is downright purple.

4300k bulbs were used in the early years and have a yellow tint.

I fitted a pair of hids to my first AT supplied by Hids 50.com who Mabel's Old Man has mentioned. They have supplied me with numerous kits for different projects and I keep going back to them as their quality control and customer service is excellent, with HID kits you really do pay for what you get.

Ni issues with the AT reflectors but as has been mentioned not all H4 kits will actually fit, the H$ HID uses a solenoid and a slide to produce hi and low beam and is bigger than an equivalent HI single beam unit.

One thing I would mention is the placement of the ballasts as I found if they were too close to the 07 Tripmaster the electronic field caused the unit to zero occasionally.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Got mine from here. Not the cheapest but the customer care is beyond good. Any problems give them a ring and they'll answer your queries.

as for being illegal my bike's just gone through a MOT with them fitted.
Not the cheapest by far.... When I was looking for HID's for my GSA I was quoted £159 to convert just the headlight without main beam (but including a bracket to mount the ballast under the beak) I ended up spending £40 on ebay for a car kit with super slim ballasts which gave me two of everything (enough for headlight AND mainbeam) and 32,000 miles later they are still working fine.

I''m sure the backup is much better from Hid50 but for £40 (ebay) versus well over £200 (HID50) for both lamps I'll stick with the ebay ones thank you.

Writeup and install photos here http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/bmw/45043-hid-bmw-2.html#post466578

The H4 setup is different as standard it is a two filament lamp and on HIDs there can only be one arc per burner but you that's dealt with by a mechanism that moves and changed the relationship of the burner to reflector so consequently the wiring will be slightly different but the principle remains the same.

·
Registered
243 Posts
A pure white HID is 5000k, anything above that starts to become blue all the way up to 20000k which is downright purple.

4300k bulbs were used in the early years and have a yellow tint.

One thing I would mention is the placement of the ballasts as I found if they were too close to the 07 Tripmaster the electronic field caused the unit to zero occasionally.
Tick. :thumbup:

Local seller (ie bricks & mortar shop) told me the same thing today... that 4300k = yellow tint, 5000k = pure white.

How close is too close? Would cabled tied to the lower arm of the fairing frame be OK?

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Tick. :thumbup:

Local seller (ie bricks & mortar shop) told me the same thing today... that 4300k = yellow tint, 5000k = pure white.

How close is too close? Would cabled tied to the lower arm of the fairing frame be OK?
Lower section of the fairing frame should be ok, top of the fairing frame I found caused problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts