Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While out on a ride at the 16th annual motorcycle convention in Cebu City last week, I stopped to help a mate with his bike (surprisingly enough a Hardly Goingson 1200 Sportster). It was an absolute blinder of a day, around 35-36 deg C, not a cloud in the sky and high humidity. I left the Katie running and tried to help fault find his bike. When I got back to my bike the temperature bar had reached 6(out of a maximum 7), which I found strange as the thermostat usually kicks in the fan in at 5 bars, knocking it back down to the usual 4 bars.
Anyway, starting off, I opened her up to get some speed, to try and reduce the temperature with air flow too. The bike would not pass 3500 rpm, and seemed to almost "die", or at least certainly lose power, 'restarting' again when the rpm dropped to about 2000 rpm. I drove another +/- 2 kms, with the same malfunction, even the temperature dropped to 5 then 4 bars, to where my mates Hardly was pulled up again on the roadside. I decided to stay with him, as we waited for our MC's Cebu Chapter breakdown truck to arrive and pulled both bikes up onto it to take them back to our workshops.
I called the dealer's mechanics, who were down at the show here, and picked them up on the road to the clubhouse.
I should point out that they had only "serviced" my bike the day before, or so the dealer claimed and charged me for it.The mechanics told me that they had only changed oil and filter for the 7,500 km service, which severely p*ssed me off. None of the other essentials like cleaning air filter, checking fork oil levels etc etc had been done, but that is another story.
They cleaned the air filter as well as they could, reset the ECU and after a couple of frantic calls to a KTM consultant mechanic(I suspect an Aussie expat in Manila), asked me to road test it, to see if the bike still had the same problem.
It didn't and worked fine again, problem fixed(?)....... for now.
I just wondered if anyone, anywhere, had had the same problem with this model or KTMs in general?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
What is your coolant like?
If the bike got that hot and then lost power I would check incase the coolant has an airlock.

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is your coolant like?
If the bike got that hot and then lost power I would check incase the coolant has an airlock.
Stumpy, coolant level was on max level as usual, checked there was no foaming etc and nothing else unusual. The thermostat and fan were working fine as far as we can tell too.
The mystery continues.......:confused::confused::confused:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts