Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
'06 Transalp
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the Hairy Bikers on BBC2 are riding decent bikes tonight! Transalps. None of this German, Ewan and Charlie rubbish!

rob

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Aye splendid !!

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
I saw this - not the best colours, but hey! Was that some kind of black tank cover on one of them? I noticed they seem to be riding the same bikes in the next episode in Patagonia...

I love this show, especially the chat about local 'stuff'. It would be nice to hear some bike-related things too, though I suspect they rent their machines; how else could they travel so far on so many different bikes? Ah. Maybe I already know the answer - personal weight issues and demise of suspension components....?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
those two big lads do know how to have fun tho?
not too sure about the dancing with the two wrinkly women think i would give that a miss.

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
those two big lads do know how to have fun tho?
not too sure about the dancing with the two wrinkly women think i would give that a miss.
Don't suppose the wrimklies were very happy about having to dance with fat Brits who can't tango.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
true!!:D

one of em did NOT enjoy the experiance at all.
looks like next week will be good as well.
anyone know if Transalp hire is easy or a sensible thing to do out there?

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
I see the Hairy Bikers on BBC2 are riding decent bikes tonight! Transalps. None of this German, Ewan and Charlie rubbish!

rob
Sod the bikes, did ya see the barbie???

Now that is the way to cook a side of beef!! I am lining up a steer already for the summer coming :) Big slab of weldmesh and 2 half oil drums full of charcoal...

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
true!!:D

one of em did NOT enjoy the experiance at all.
looks like next week will be good as well.
anyone know if Transalp hire is easy or a sensible thing to do out there?
No idea about Argentina, but bike hire in Chile (which I know the best) is minimal - especially outside of Santiago. My guess is that it has to be possible to hire TAs in Argie - otherwise the producers for the Hairy pair wouldn't have been able to do the programme(s). I doubt they have the budget to buy bikes everywhere they go. Why, are you thinking of doing a trip?

When I was working in SA I didn't see any TAs, but quite a few ATs (all oddly enough registered to other SA countries). There was a chap who practiced desert riding where I was digging for fossils in the Southern Atacama - he was absolutely awesome at getting up the bluffs.:glasses8:

·
TV boffin
328 Posts
Buying 2 bikes is a small price compared to the entire budget of a TV show, and they probably did a deal with Honda Argentina to buy them back after the filming for not-too-much-loss. After all, if Ewan and Charlie's world trip thingy taught the motorcycle world anything, it is that TV publicity is worth it - KTM were silly not to take the E & C opportunity.

G

·
The first series of Hairy Bikers was 'supported' by BMW - they provided bikes in whichever country the guys went to - either F650GS or R1200GS depending upon what was available locally. BMW also went on at great length about the series in their newsletters.

BMW no longer mention the series and the two guys no longer ride BMW bikes so I guess the support has ended. I'd hazard a guess that they get bikes wherever and however possible - begging/borrowing from local importers, hiring where practical etc. The fact that they ride so many different bikes suggests that they didn't buy any of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts