Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to do a quick oil change on the dommie before it got dark.

Done it a hundred times, so completely on autopilot, and that's when things tend to go wrong... So I managed to round off the sump plug, yeah. :angry3:

With the light in the big blue room rapidly going out, but not willing to give it up like that, I opened the crank hole and put the bike on its side. Got most of the oil out... ;-)

Note on timing: Don't do this just after a petrol stop.

S

·
0 Posts
Bad luck matey:( Know what you mean on the timing thingy though, once rolled Dolly over onto her side stand to lube the chain and quickly accumulated a petrol puddle:(

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that. I stopped, because there was more petrol pouring out than oil. ;-)

Going to see if I can get a dremel or nutbuster in there or something, but for now the 1.8 liter oil change will have to suffice. I need to get the GS back on the road before I start to tinker with the spare bike. I'm not going to take the bus to work...

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And not just because it's a fourwheeled piece of...

Commute, by bike: about 45 minutes one way, including overhead (bike gear)
Commute, by bus: about double that.

Besides, I'm having WAY too much fun on the dommie at the moment. :)

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,037 Posts
Just wanted to do a quick oil change on the dommie before it got dark.

Done it a hundred times, so completely on autopilot, and that's when things tend to go wrong... So I managed to round off the sump plug, yeah. :angry3:

With the light in the big blue room rapidly going out, but not willing to give it up like that, I opened the crank hole and put the bike on its side. Got most of the oil out... ;-)

Note on timing: Don't do this just after a petrol stop.
See if you can get a six sided socket on the sump plug. I've got some very rounded bolts out with one of these, makes me wonder why we don't use them all the time.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do use them all the time...

It just so happened that there was some crud blocking things, and it was half on or something. Didn't feel very heavy at all, it just rounded off like it was made of cheese.

In retrospect I really shouldn't have used the big torque wrench to undo it, but yeah, being in a hurry makes you stupid. ;-)

S

·
0 Posts
Bit of gentle grinding/filing till you can get a smaller spanner on it nice and tight can work too, or do what I did with the XBR cylinder head, Get an old imperial socket just too small and crack it on with an impact driver;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts