Registered
1,095 Posts
I,ve got a set of a GS1150 !!! not the best pics but you get the idea
Phil

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same as above 1150 fitted with no great troubles I have fitted extra bar endweights though to give a bit more room for the levers
(1200 guards will not fit)
no adverts or writing and a good wrap around
Sorry being dense here. Are they the dirtbike ones?

Also love that bellypan is it from an @ ?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
No !!!! they,re just BMW GS 1150 ones, have a look on ebay :thumb:
Phil

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
No worries mate i,ve asked plenty of stupid questions :( but always got an answer !!!!! we,re not a bad bunch:D:D:D
Phil

·
Registered
114 Posts
Same as above 1150 fitted with no great troubles I have fitted extra bar endweights though to give a bit more room for the levers
(1200 guards will not fit) no adverts or writing and a good wrap around
I am also thinking aboutgoing down the BMW handprotector route, after deciding the OE ones are pretty innefective at protecting hands from the cold & wet. (2008 / 09 ABS model)

Are they a straight forward fit with the OE bar end weights? Snaphappy mentions above that he fitted extra bar end weights! Is this essential, and which additional bar end weights did you source / fit?

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
The 1150 ones are more or less a straight forward fit, they are under slight tension but easy to mount,
With the normal endweights my lever ends just touched the plastic so I fitted the longest ones they had in the shop, obviously the BMW ones would be better as the hand-guard mounting screws fit into a small recess but you cant really see that they are mounted a bit proud.
In retrospect I would fit the cruise control from T%ouratwat but thats a lot of dosh for the freedom of being able to scratch your right leg:rolleyes:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Snaphappy

Got my 1150 guards from Motorworks and am trying to fit them now. Did you have any problems with the BMW guards fouling on the fairing on full steering lock, when you fitted yours? Mine does! They foul on both the top fairing just below the screen and the tops of the fairing sides.

Also the lower mounting point of the guard seems to be too low on the handlebars, the net result being that the guards don't line up well with the bars and levers.

Did you have these problems, and if so how did you overcome them? My bike is a 2009 reg VA08. My fairing looks to be the same shape as yours in you picture, unless there is a subtle difference in the shape of the fairing and or handle bars between model years.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hi mate
I had the same problem even with 25mm bar raisers but solved it with a bit of careful cutting with a stanley knife!!!!! as for catching the levers, i fitted the guards on to the bar end weights first then SPRUNG the bottom fitting up to suite and tightened !!!!! seems a bit Heath Robinson but works fine
Phil

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks Phil.
I also had sort of worked that one out myself, and I agree it is better like this, but still not really ideal. Still a slight fouling on the fairings on full lock. I guess the BMW bars are flatter? and obviously no fairing!

Just wondering if it would pass an MOT like this as I thought the bars had to turn from lock stop to lock stop, without touching any part of the fairing.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Thanks Phil.
I also had sort of worked that one out myself, and I agree it is better like this, but still not really ideal. Still a slight fouling on the fairings on full lock. I guess the BMW bars are flatter? and obviously no fairing!

Just wondering if it would pass an MOT like this as I thought the bars had to turn from lock stop to lock stop, without touching any part of the fairing.
Yes like that is a MOT failure,
Sorry I fitted bar displacers, one of the first jobs I did. They are SW Motech 22mm rise and 30mm displacement to the rear, they have been on so long I forgot, on full lock I have a 5cm gap between guards and fairing but the bars foul the tankbag so I have to keep checking I'm not on full beam

·
Registered
114 Posts
Doh! That would explain it. I thought it was me doing something wrong!

I didn't particularly want to go down the bar risers route as well, as I don't really have any issues with the standard bar position. Just cold hands!

I'm going to have to rethink this.

·
No Going Back
84 Posts
hi curzon, did you get to use the gs hand gaurds? if not I will buy them from you as i have got the bar risers on all ready. and want the hand gaurds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts