Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Thanks so much for the help with the left guard :D:D:D That's sorted !!! It just 'clipped' on !! Just need a bolt for the top with washer, I am sure I will have one somewhere.

Guard 2...... throttle side:confused: Tried this morning to fit it and although this seems really obvious, the guard will not 'open' / stretch to go on over the lever housing. Wondering if again I have missed something? I assume the bolt that holds the break lever in place comes out?

IMG_0728.JPG

I took this bolt out and the guard simply wont open enough to slip on - ARRG! !!!!! Took the break lever out and still wont go on !!! I really dont want to force it

Any pix of how your guard is fitted in place would be awesome :thumb:

h......e.....l.....p...... (again)......

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
hi dave send me a pm of an e mail address and I will take some photos of mine tomorrow and send them on to you :thumbup: too dark out now .

·
Registered
897 Posts
Good you got the left guard sorted Dave, ------ my right guard simply slides on, screw the bolt in and assemble the nut.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good you got the left guard sorted Dave, ------ my right guard simply slides on, screw the bolt in and assemble the nut.
You'd think so but its so tight like I need another 2mm gap - will post an image tomorrow to explain !

Cheers

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
hi dave I tried to send photos by email as arranged by pm but my blackberry wont let me I used to be able before but the setting have changed probably in my my pocket . I have tried for half an hour but I keep going round in circles . im no techo whizz . sorry about that . if anyone else can load up some photos . im going to bring the bike in to fit the really crappy fork gaitors I got send from ali express . one of them has a hole in it pure rubbish don't waste your money on them . I will soup or glue the hole and hide it round the back . I made the mistake of ordering ones that are too long 370mm so I will have to trim a bit off them at the top where its out of sight still better than the nackered one's that's on there now . their primary purpose is to save the fork seals so they will do their job .

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for trying, I have posted some images below to try and illustrate that the guard just inst fitting correctly:-

3.JPG

I have forced this on but it doesn't sit well at all. The plastic is stretched a lot. (bloody pix upside down!)

2.JPG

I cant this any closer to the Nissin thing.

I am getting the feeling something isnt right here, either the hand guard or the lever area :( Any feedback much appreciated

Just had a thought..... did the guards change shape over the years?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
hi dave I just whipped off mine and it just slides out no bother nut off the bottom then the bolt is treaded into the master cylinder caseing and off she comes its not the least bit stiff . I wonder if its possible that either your master cylinder is off another model or maybe your leaver is different ? there is a lip on the side your not trying to get that on over where its not supposed to be by any chance ?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi dave I just whipped off mine and it just slides out no bother nut off the bottom then the bolt is treaded into the master cylinder caseing and off she comes its not the least bit stiff . I wonder if its possible that either your master cylinder is off another model or maybe your leaver is different ? there is a lip on the side your not trying to get that on over where its not supposed to be by any chance ?
There is defo something wrong then, I have taken this pic of the whole area does this look original? Thank you.

IMG_0734.jpg

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
that looks a lot different to my own bike but mine is a 1990 . the leaver is completely flat across and I have a bleed nipple on the side of the master cylinder and Nissan is not wrote on like your own . is it possible to alter your hand guard to make it fit as in file grind or cut a little off so you get it on there or maybe use a heat gun to soften thye plastic so you can alter the shape ? but it might get pushed back if doing the ton into a strong head wind if it don't have the lip that runs along the side of the master cylinder ? :toothy9:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that looks a lot different to my own bike but mine is a 1990 . the leaver is completely flat across and I have a bleed nipple on the side of the master cylinder and Nissan is not wrote on like your own . is it possible to alter your hand guard to make it fit as in file grind or cut a little off so you get it on there or maybe use a heat gun to soften thye plastic so you can alter the shape ? but it might get pushed back if doing the ton into a strong head wind if it don't have the lip that runs along the side of the master cylinder ? :toothy9:
Thanks for this. Looks like I will 'make' the guard fit - I was just thinking perhaps I was doing something wrong, but if yours looks diffident than that's the problem. ;)

Cheers for you help and efforts - anyone else got a different layout ? A piccy would be good :D

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Your throttle assembly is mounted the wrong way, the 2x10mm bolts should be facing towards your footpeg and the throttle cables should run above the lever not below.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Your throttle assembly is mounted the wrong way, the 2x10mm bolts should be facing towards your footpeg and the throttle cables should run above the lever not below.

with my throttle housing the cable is on underneath with the rear most nut at 12 o clock and the front nut at 3 o clock when you look in from the out side of the bar . I would only suggest loosing the nuts and spinning around a tad if needs be . its very confusing set up how the the cables go . if you undo them without paying heed to how they came apart its a head scratcher to get them back don't ask me how I know :lol:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Arg! I took a pic first and put them back roughly as it was - any chance of a pic???

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dave this pic. looks identical to my 650 V4
Thanks for checking guys :D I'm off to do an A Team special........ I'll be back in a few days with it all sorted thanks to wood, welding, gaffer tape and a wet wipe....... Queue music, stand well back......:thumb:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
man flu stopped play :( almost done !

a great excuse to stay in bed and drink rakes of hot whiskies loads of honey and lemon juice but more important plenty of whiskey and big fry ups help as well :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts