Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says: Highway driving vibration solutions are needed. It's not completely terrible, but with a ton of full riding days ahead of me, I'd love to hear ways to decrease the vibes.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Have you got the oem bar end weights fitted

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Mine is a bit vibey around 80mph i just slow down and this reduces its effects my left hand goes numb and i cant operate the clutch so i have no choice but thats me it happens with all my bikes at a certain rpm some people say the foam grips help but i cant get on with them like me their too thick :D

Reactions: dwdufour

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I replaced the grips, so that will probably help. I'm considering some a new handlebar, but I have a big trip coming up in 3 weeks that so it will be after that.

·
Administrator
1,776 Posts
I find that switching on the heated grips helps a bit. And different gloves may help, too - looser fit seems to lessen vibration.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
A few tips ...

Wear thick gloves

Buy one of them throttle controls, the cheap ones that you can rest your right palm on

Learn how to ride with no hands ( for short periods of course );)

Don't drink a full pint immediately after your run :D

Hope this helps :thumbup:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I definitely do not ever in any way ride with no hands on the autobahn. That would be unsafe :rolleyes: . Now that my wife isn't reading over my shoulder, I'm with you on that.

Is the crampbuster really worth it? I've heard that the throttle tends to stick a bit with one applied.

It's too hot for think gloves.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I definitely do not ever in any way ride with no hands on the autobahn. That would be unsafe :rolleyes: . Now that my wife isn't reading over my shoulder, I'm with you on that.

Is the crampbuster really worth it? I've heard that the throttle tends to stick a bit with one applied.

Check out the 'ThrottleMate' designed by some member over on ABR forum

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Crampbuster ?? I think that's the one :confused: cost about a tenner :confused:

Great for long motorway hauls :thumbup:

I have mine on all the time, if I don't need it I just flick it up.
Saves constant right hand stress.

Thick gloves are mandatory in the Highlands :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, but when I'm driving through Spain in July, thick gloves behind hand guards will be a killer.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I've often found my hand getting numb with vibration over the yrs, mainly with twins, probably the vibration.

My solution was to place my fingers over the clutch and brake handles, you still have control of the bike with both hands using your thumbs. Watch to not put any pressure on the clutch or brake, just lay your fingers on the top of the handles. Works for me!

The crampbuster's a great idea. I use one. I use it for long journeys, especially motorways and Autobahns. On twisty roads I tend to turn it round the handlebar a bit as it can get in the way for engine braking but I've had no issues with the throttle sticking.

·
Registered
93 Posts

\

I had a cramp buster on one of my sports bikes, had to make an emergency stop on the A30 in Cornwall and grabbed the front brake but also my palm hit the cramp buster revving the b*ll*cks off her that was an experience :eek: I would suggest leave them be :toothy9:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Are they the original handguards? If after market jobbies have been fitted, a la Barkbusters, you need to take the bar end weights out, which in turn can make it vibrate...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's the stock handle bar and stock guards. I got some thicker gloves and that seemed to help quite a bit. I'm curious about the lead shot fix. A friend of mine wanted to try the same thing.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I fitted some hand guards and got a reduction in vibration as an unintended result. Probably for the same reason as lead shot, in that they add mass to the bar ends. My hand guards are home-made (very) and leave the original bar weights in place. They are made of 10mm thick ali strip bent round the original plastic handguards, and use the bar weight bolt to hold them in place. Being ali, it's not a lot of extra weight, but it made a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Seems to me that there are three factors here,
1) how to reduce the vibration, balancing engine parts etc ( ain't going to happen ).
2) masking / reducing the effects of the vibration, gloves, foam grips to isolate you from the vibes and heat to minimise the effects.
3) the one that your really asking about, at certain frequencies the bars can "resonate"
This leads to significant increase in vibration at a relatively narrow speed band ( engine rev band ), stiffening the bars by changing them or adding braces is likely to increase the resonance frequency and may take it to a frequency that no longer effects you and adding weight should reduce the resonance frequency to below crushing speed so you don't experience it long enough to experience numbness,
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: dwdufour

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Buy some of these and tell me if they work so i can try them:thumbup:

Dual Sport

1 - 20 of 27 Posts