1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy St George's Day to all.:blob:
The day that no one dare speak of.:(
Is there a parade through the dtreets of London? - No.:confused:
Is there a promotional night down the pub sponsored by Bombardier bitter? Not even a flag.
Be lucky if it gets a mention on the news.

Oh well, greetings to the 'underground' anyway!

G

·
Happy St George's day to you too:D I'll have my Cross of St George badge on as per usual, but I suspect I'll be on my own. Mind you, living in Wales doesn't help:confused:

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Wasn't he the one who killed the dragon?
If he was alive today they'd probably do him for poaching or illegal hunting, breaking numerous endangered species laws, being in possession of dangerous weapons, having a lance without a license, etc. etc.
"Tree huggers......" the lot of 'em.:rolleyes:

Happy St G's Day anyway to all.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
St George is a great example of Englishness (or Britishness). He was a Turk, working for the Romans when he came over here. The English are the only of the four nations of the UK to have a foreigner as patron saint.

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
The English are the only of the four nations of the UK to have a foreigner as patron saint.
Whealie,
No offence meant but:-
St. Andrew wasn't actually a fisherman "fae Peterheid". Brother of Peter, both fisherman "fae Galillee", I presume they were both Hebrew/Jewish/Palestinian or whatever.
St Patrick apparently wasn't Irish either, kidnapped at 16 from the Scottish mainland and brought to Ireland as a slave. (Unsure if the Irish would call him a complete foreigner though).
It would appear that our Welsh cousins, have the only "homegrown" patron saint, David, amongst us all.

( I know, I know, far too much time on my hands.......):D

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
It's my dads Birthday today... He was born in England... Feel free to join me in celebrating that instead... ;)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Whealie,
No offence meant but:-
St. Andrew wasn't actually a fisherman "fae Peterheid". Brother of Peter, both fisherman "fae Galillee", I presume they were both Hebrew/Jewish/Palestinian or whatever.
St Patrick apparently wasn't Irish either, kidnapped at 16 from the Scottish mainland and brought to Ireland as a slave. (Unsure if the Irish would call him a complete foreigner though).
Even better illustrates my point. We are a nation of immigrants, many of whom have made such a huge contribution to our society that we revere them.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Even better illustrates my point. We are a nation of immigrants, many of whom have made such a huge contribution to our society that we revere them.
The so-called "British Empire" was built upon invading other people's countries so, y'know, turnabout is fair play. And personally, I think we're richer for it.

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
Happy birthday Mikes dad. Is he called George? :D
Thanx... :D

No he's called Mike to... My Parents obviosuly weren't overly blessed with imagination... probably way to stoned back in the 60's... ;)

"Hey you've got a son Mike"
"Ohh... Hi Mike" ;)

Could of been worse, could of been 'Moodchild' or something :p

·
A Dad with longlegs
226 Posts
Yes a Happy St. Georges day to all, and don't forget to warn the mother in law to stay indoors because wanna-be dragon slayers will be out in force today.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Hey, so many singing my tune, not used to this, yes I am English and British and European, I find it very sad that the only time you see a cross of St George is at a football match and the Union Flag at a BNP rally.

We've been invaded so many times that the only real "Britons" live in Wales or Ireland, even "Anglo-Saxon" is derived from two French invaders (does that mean to "anglicise means to make it French?).

We are the mongrel nation and mighty fine it is too, going to have a cup of Indian tea now to celebrate, how English is that then :D

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
We've been invaded so many times that the only real "Britons" live in Wales or Ireland, even "Anglo-Saxon" is derived from two French invaders :D
Sorry again, small correction though, Angles, Saxons and Jutes were all from Germany(5-6th Centuries AD) not France, those that came from there were Normans (1066 and all that good stuff). Vikings (9-10th Century AD) came from Scandavia.
Original Britons I think would be hard to find in fact. There was a race of people, the Celts, who originally came from Spain then moved up to Western France. They came from Brittany, via Cornawall, then across to Wales and Ireland and eventually invaded the West of Scotland (as the Scots), later on.

Sorry I'll get my coat now....... I actually love all that dark ages history, about the only thing I was good at, at school! Apologies again.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
:confused: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

Well I was close, anyway you missed out the Romans :D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
:confused: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

you missed out the Romans :D
What have they ever done for us?

·
Ex Vara Rider
446 Posts
We had our St Georges parade yesterday for the fourth consecutive year at Morley, West Yorkshire. The town is closed for the parade to march from the town hall to the rugby ground, where all things british are celebrated in the form of a fayre, mainly drinking.

Get some of your mates together and start organising next years in your town. The more people that celebrate, the better chance you have of getting it recognised.

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
It gets better.......Weren't the Normans Vikings who'd settled in France a few centuries earlier...."The Norsemen".

Cabby...an english/Irish Catholic/Protestant ....(Irish Grandad born in Wales)..who spent a couple of years living amongst Jews and Arabs in the Holy Land :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: .

Oh Yeah !!!......Haim Herzog...One President of Israel was a Paddy....................Doncha love it....History....it is what it is.

COME ON YOU MONGRELS !!!!:D :D :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts