Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dumb question...what would be the easiest option to put panniers onto my 07 vara without spending an arm and a leg...?
I tryed soft panniers but they seem to touch right on the exaust and leave a mark on it...I already have a 52 lt Givi top box on it.
Thank u for advice:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
By far the neatest option is the Honda ones but at £500 for the 2 boxes (£800 for 3 box system) and the rack they are pretty steep. I looked at bigger alloy boxes but they sit so far off the bike due to the exhausts they made the bike extremely wide just to get the same volume as the Honda ones.

The non honda racks were also as ugly as sin without the boxes fitted.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thank you josh and boris!
is the pillion still confy with these fitted? do u mind if I ask u how much and if u had to modify the bike at all to fitt the rack pls?

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Photos of the Honda boxes

notice how they are fitted round the exhaust

The racks are also neat when the boxes aren't fitted

Being Honda ones they are designed for the bike so no problems with a pillion.

·
How much is the fish?
422 Posts
Have you looked at the SW Motech pannier frames? These can be fitted & removed in seconds & when off the bike all that's left are a couple of small brackets. I had these on my Bandit along with a couple of 42L Kappa boxes and they were great.

G

·
0 Posts
thank you josh and boris!
is the pillion still confy with these fitted? do u mind if I ask u how much and if u had to modify the bike at all to fitt the rack pls?

Kappa Tubular Side Case Holders - XL 1000 Varadero
Kappa Moto Case - K960 x 2
£285.97

Back box from Bikegear Welcome to BIKEGEAR, helmets, jackets, leathers, all the bike gear at low low prices!.
£99 and it already comes with a universal fitting kit and a rather easy to wire in high level brake light.
With everything on the bike it felt like being in a flying armchair.
As far as I am aware there were no modifications done other that the Varadero rack where the plate was fitted had some pretty strong, 3 inch long stainless steel supports where mounted on the underneath of the bikes rack just to minimise the pressure being placed on the underside of the rack from the extended bolts and washers and nuts that had a plastic bit on one end to keep them tighter me thinks but don't quote me on it
HTH
Josh

p.s. DaveS,
I am trying this frock on for size. I haven't made a decision on what we talked about a while ago........................yet

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i managed to haggle the three cases from the dealer free when i bought the bike (large panniers too, always tell them youre expecting the 35ltr cases because otherwise you might be stitched up with the 29ltr ones) and im very happy with them but if i had to pay for them i wouldnt buy oem.
honda keeps on putting topboxes too close to the pillion for comfort, especially with the backrest, and my pillion is only 11yrs old. once i made an adaptor to move it back its fine.
ive had old 44ltr kappa cases on givi racks before and that was brilliant but did stick out a bit. (i heard kappa is a brand invented in the '80s by mr givi to give his daughter something to do playing "factorys" after college. they make cheaper and less finished but no less functional copies of givi stuff, thats why all the racks and locks and a lot of parts are identical)
cant comment on other aftermarket brands but all the big names seem pretty well made.
the beauty of aftermarket brands is that once youve bought the cases they can go from bike to bike, all you need to do is get a fitting kit for each bike.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I fitted V35 Givi side boxes, price was a main issue with me, Alu boxes were working out around £400 so too expensive for me, £345 for both Givi boxes and rack. Mine looks good enough for me, a bit of protection if I drop the bike and they match the crash bars on the front.
OE Honda one's look the business but too expensive for what they are I'm afraid.
Here's mine showing the brackets, I don't think they're too gross?

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
I fitted V35 Givi side boxes.................................................

......................Here's mine showing the brackets, I don't think they're too gross?
i dont think theyre gross at all, they are only squares of tube and like you say they are also useful as crash bars if you drop it!
the oem honda frames are particularly neat but i had givi frames on my triumph for years and you soon get used to the sight of them, like a topbox they are too handy to have to worry about what they look like. and with givi stuff if you see any other size boxes like a pair of the thin 21ltr panniers cheap on ebay they are handy to have so you can mix and match. ive seen a bike using 3x E52 maxias, it was a FJ1300 so they didnt look out of place but god was it wide!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I fitted V35 Givi side boxes, price was a main issue with me, Alu boxes were working out around £400 so too expensive for me, £345 for both Givi boxes and rack. Mine looks good enough for me, a bit of protection if I drop the bike and they match the crash bars on the front.
OE Honda one's look the business but too expensive for what they are I'm afraid.
Here's mine showing the brackets, I don't think they're too gross?

agree hondas look neater but I can't justify the price...will keep an eye out on ebay to see if anything givi comes up or if anyone here decides to get rid of theirs. Thank you all folks as usual great forum!

·
Registered
15 Posts
What about 2nd hand route? I bought a Honda top box and two panniers of ebay for two hundred quid end of last summer and bought the frames new from a dealer and got the topbox plate new but off ebay for £30, dealer wanted £95!! all in all it cost me £380 and I fitted them myself so saved on the labour, BTW this was to fit a VA5 Varadero

thing with this is I would say its better to look around until you drop on the right boxes at the right price as some people do want silly money

Just depends on whether you want them straight away or not

just my 2p worth:thumbup::D

·
Try everything once!
24 Posts
dumb question...what would be the easiest option to put panniers onto my 07 vara without spending an arm and a leg...?
I tryed soft panniers but they seem to touch right on the exaust and leave a mark on it...I already have a 52 lt Givi top box on it.
Thank u for advice:thumbup:

Have'nt got time at the mo to read all the posts but....
I did see on Ebay through the link on here this morning a full set of colour coded luggage, top and sides and Im sure bidding was at £125. They are blue but you could easily spray them a diff colour...
Have I think they are on the first page if you go through the link from the forum

I have the same ones and think that they are pretty good.. easily scratched tho..

Hope that helps.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
theres a three case set on ebay now

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
will have a look and thank you all for teh ssuggestions.I am not in a hurry and will wait until the right deal comes about..

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
on the face of it it seems reasonable, how much are they usually? im careful buying things like that on ebay, and factor in postage too. you really have to know how much you can get things for by shopping around before resorting to ebay.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
seen some new ones at 315/330.....but good point about postage as new from shops come with free UK delivery...

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Antonio, have you had a look at Ard Cases, like the ones I had on the Transalp and now the GS, with these racks Holan » Pannier rack for Honda Varadero

and a set of Rogers hand made cases, you should be looking at about £450 fitted. He will powder coat the boxes the colour of your choice, and they are top loading so nothing falls out when you open them. Just a thought, if you want his number let me know. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts