1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to this article...

Harriet Harman pleads guilty to careless driving - Times Online

The Times says:
"Labour’s deputy leader Harriet Harman today became the first serving Cabinet minister in memory to plead guilty to a criminal charge after admitting driving without due care and attention. "

So, since when was driving without due care and attention a criminal offence?

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
According to this article...

Harriet Harman pleads guilty to careless driving - Times Online

The Times says:
"Labour’s deputy leader Harriet Harman today became the first serving Cabinet minister in memory to plead guilty to a criminal charge after admitting driving without due care and attention. "

So, since when was driving without due care and attention a criminal offence?
I guess since she caused criminal damage to someone else's property, more to the point reading the atricle seeing how many points she already had why wasn't her license taken away like it would ahve been if it were me or you in the same circumstance....
Another instance of one rule for one and one rule for another

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess since she caused criminal damage to someone else's property
Well I wouldn't say it was strictly "Criminal Damage" - more an act of asinine stupidity.

According to my wife, women are much better at multitasking than men - but clearly not in this case.

parking + mobile phone + arrogant twit = disaster

Perhaps women multitasking means doing lots of things badly at the same time rather than just doing one thing well. If women really are much better at multitasking then another explanation may be that Harriet Harman is or used to be a man :thumbleft:

I'm not surprised she/he wasn't prosecuted for using the phone at the same time. It certainly is one rule for them and one for the rest of us. And what about the fine? Who pays for it? Well, considering where her wages come from, that'll be the taxpayer of course :rolleyes:

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
it is a criminal offence!

that is why the police and the magistrates will prosecute it!

as for why she kept her licence there are arguments that can be made even on a guilty plea to keep a licence that is loaded with points, she may have argued that the disqualification would have caused exceptional hardship!

actually after reading the article and noticing that prior to the incident she only had 6 points there is no way that for that type of incident she would have recieved enough points to disqualify her!

no doubt some smart ass lawyer will have hand a hand in it somewhere!

:rolleyes::D

Z:cool:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
it is a criminal offence!
So anyone who is convicted of driving without due care and attention is then a criminal.

actually after reading the article and noticing that prior to the incident she only had 6 points there is no way that for that type of incident she would have recieved enough points to disqualify her!
If they prosecuted her for leaving the scene and failure to report, maybe the points would have been more likely to give her another ban.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Perhaps women multitasking means doing lots of things badly at the same time rather than just doing one thing well. If women really are much better at multitasking then another explanation may be that Harriet Harman is or used to be a man :thumbleft:

Multitasking is purely the ability to f**k up more than one thing at any given time.

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
So anyone who is convicted of driving without due care and attention is then a criminal.

If they prosecuted her for leaving the scene and failure to report, maybe the points would have been more likely to give her another ban.
I suppose if you take it at face value anyone who commits a criminal offence is a criminal!

on the other hand it is unlikely that one conviction for minor road traffic matters puts you into the crime hall of fame!

it's all relative but you would be surprised how many accidental or innocuous activities or actions could potentially be criminal offences!

Z:D

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I know of someone who got caught driving without insurance and got away with out points because he would have lost his job.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Well, after a couple of drinks I've decided to add my opinion on this one, yes she should have been banned and only the work of her overpaid defence stopped her from having to walk for the next six months.
The Times reported the prosecution had witness statements saying she reversed into the car whilst using a mobile phone, that is an offence that carries 3 points and would give her 12 under the totting up and a six month ban.
This is a clear case of them with money and position can manipulate the law to their own devices and a clear indication of do as I say and not as I do, a poor example to be set by a member of our government.
This is just another example of the rot that is decaying this country in my eyes, possibly enough for me to consider greener pastures. This and many other miscarriages of justice in the past few years are almost enough to sicken me to the stomach.

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
Let me know if ya find a good field n I'll join ya!! :D:thumb:

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
I know of someone who got caught driving without insurance and got away with out points because he would have lost his job.

Bus Driver Stumpy.....? :happy8:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I know it happens but i don't agree with it. He should have lost his license and his job maybe he would think twice next time..

What would happen if he hit a pedestrian and injured or killed them uninsured driver how would the injured persons family coped because some **** is too tight or ignorant to depart with a couple hundred quid

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I know it happens but i don't agree with it. He should have lost his license and his job maybe he would think twice next time..

What would happen if he hit a pedestrian and injured or killed them uninsured driver how would the injured persons family coped because some **** is too tight or ignorant to depart with a couple hundred quid
I said that to him when he came in to work all smiles.
I personally think that if a person flouts the law like that they should not have a vocational licence.

·
Plodder
211 Posts
I think the scariest thing about this is that she has a Rover 75. Who the hell has a Rover 75, these people make decisions that affect millions of citizens and she buys a Rover 75!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I think the scariest thing about this is that she has a Rover 75. Who the hell has a Rover 75, these people make decisions that affect millions of citizens and she buys a Rover 75!
She is a member of the government she had to buy one in order to help destroy the company.

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
468 Posts
If it's as reported, i.e. a minor bump with no damage/injury, I think she was harshly dealt with :shock:! After all, how many of us have never nudged another car's bumper, without causing any damage, when parking? That's what bupmers are partly for, to accommodate minor knocks.
Can't condone the using the phone though, if that was indeed the case, but that charge was dropped so can't be taken into account.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After all, how many of us have never nudged another car's bumper, without causing any damage, when parking?
I can't say that I've ever tried parking while using a mobile. Parking "by feel" is a common method.

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
468 Posts
I can't say that I've ever tried parking while using a mobile. Parking "by feel" is a common method.
No, neither have I. But, as I understand it, the mobile 'phone part of the charge was dropped, so the punishment could only relate to the undue care & attention charge, i.e. the minor bump. She may well have been using the 'phone but that would have become irrelevent once the charge was dropped.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts