Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there tried one or know of a dealer with a demo? I know Timpo on ADV has one but there ain't much out there. Will I be disappointed if I replace my AT with one????????????:confused:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
I've sat on one, but not ridden it.

It's very comfortable to sit on (although I only sat on it for a minute or so). It is a very tall bike, but quite light (just over 200kg all fueled up). They do a really nice Paris Dakar Limited edition with panniers, crash bars and bash guard. Really cool!

Like the look of the bike, only wish it had more power. If they made the Tenere with that look and a 75 BHP engine, I'd be all over it!

JB

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
As it has the same engine as the 660R I can say its a belter if you dont mind cruisin at 70/75. Great character in the engine and plenty of low stomp high top end is less than a twin as Hudders proved when I screamed past him on Welsh weekend he then accelerated and left my behind. Hey its a single!!

·
2,701 Posts
I think you would be dissapointed. :(

Ask Bob for some advise.:thumbleft: :p

Had a ride on a ktm 950 super enduro at the ADV rally this weekend. . . . . . all i can say is . . . WOW . !!!!!!:cool::p:p

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help all. I got offered a 2008 Yam for £4500 new which was tempting but not being able to ride one held me back. I like the spec but would it be enough powerwise? I love the KTMs but they are big money. I tried a Super Enduro for size and found I was on tiptoes and I'm 6'3"!! Come on then what do I get for my 5k??.............Anyone got a low mileage mint AT for sale?:thumbup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I just have to sing the praises of the XT660r this bike is a true adventure bike. The engine is bullet proof and this bike will go anywhere you could take a dirt bike (if you put knobbly tyres on TKC80 for exp) but even with more road-biased dual sports it is very capable off road.
It will give approx 65-70 mph on a day’s tour and is very easy to maintain.

Cons, 1) Pipes run under the bike but a good sump guard sorts that
2) Front brakes are made of wood so get used to using both, as you should be doing anyway on the road. When off road you will mostly use the back anyway.

One wee tip I would recommend is; get a centre stand. Cos if you get a puncture; you will spend more time looking for something to prop the bike on, than the time it takes to fix the puncture itself.

Cons aside, I like all bikers have got itchy for a change of bike from time to time. but have not yet found one that can do all the xt660 can do. And they are cheap as chips to buy and keep. I got my one Taxed, MOT’ed and Insured for around £150 this year.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good that you lke the XT. The XT 660Z Tenere is more off road orientated for instance has no low exhaust problems and a 10" ground clearance and a huge fuel tank etc.With serious knobbly tyres like Mitas C02 rear and Michelin T66 front as I have on mine, it's virtually unstopable. It is a great pity Honda have missed out with this niche. The Transalp is a really nice bike but is too road orientated and has poor fuel range, the Varadero is too heavy for serious off road as was the Africa twin which is long gone. The XR range is no good for long distance so the Tenere fits all my requirements. Comfy enough for distance, plenty fuel for distance, good wind protection, good ground clearance, will go just about anywhere with the correct tyres, easy maintenance, bomb proof,and looks good and well priced. There is a forum dedicated to XTs at XT 660.com. Worth a look for mods and general info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree, the z is prob better but a bit pricier and some early one have poor electrics. I should say all XT660 are good

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Do have to agree with you there Jobbo the XTR was a great single cyl and you could always change the exhausts to high enduro type for more ground clearance from off the road.de

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
I had one for a year and did 32,000 miles on it.. the engine is actually quite good up to about 75/80 mph and thats where it runs out of steam.... the handling is very good although the seat was dire, it locks you in place and is pretty uncomfortable although you do get used to it, the sericing is easy and cheap to do, the quality of finish isnt very good, mine was corroding like hell and everyone who knows me will tell you how clean I keep my bikes..

the genuine yamaha panniers are rubbish - get another make..

I had 3 sets of cush drive rubbers under warranty, the wiring loom melted and was replaced along with the regulator/rectifiern and the gear box let go resulting in a complete strip down and new gearbox, new yamaha spares are p1ss taking expensive, and it broke down in germany at the Elephant rally.....

I paid £4800 new for mine, - good round town/lanes but hard work anywhere else.....

·
Registered
689 Posts
Jimmy,, are you onhere as well... man ye kin get about....I didnt know ye had a transalp 700...i think they are a crackinbike, the 700 that is,, i have a vara 1000 an a xt660R... two great bikes.. if a had the money ad buy a aprilia dorsoduro,, now there s a piece o kit... a love ma xt,, but it could do wi another 150cc....cheers. afk fae teh xt site... that ye wi tryin tae get ma tyres fae me...john
Well I dumped the 700 Transalp for one and I think it's superior in many ways. My riding is 70% off road tho. :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts