Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Still comfortably numb
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is meant to be a cautionary tale, rather than a winge.

I've just sold my Transalp (and will be without a bike), and as the law requires you to tell your insurer when you do this - I did. Next time I won't.

So I rang them and told them. There's a little over 3 months left to run, which is worth £34.75. The nice lady told me she wanted £ 35 to cancel. I suggested there was some mistake, as they still had my premium.

To cut a 40 minute phone call down, here's the result.

1) After the policy has run for 6 months the premium is non refundable. So I couldn't have that back. "It's written on the back of the Policy Document". So there !
2) It costs £ 35 to cancel...end of. No negotiation, no reduction, nothing. Furthermore she was going to email me a statement that informed me of the steps their Income Protection team would take if I didn't pay this within the required period. I did tell her that I'd been a loyal customer and never claimed, and besides £ 35 is a f*** of alot of money just to press half a dozen keys.....Nope, no change.

So in my book I've just been fleeced by £ 70..... 35 they owed me and 35 for the privilege of cancelling.

I'm not surprised in the least, just bloody glad that I can afford to pay this. Some people can't.

And I expect all/most insurers do this. Just another example of ripoff Britain where the big boys fleece the little people with the Establishment's blessing.

So the purpose of my little tale is to think twice before cancelling your policy. It's sometimes cheaper to 'forget, and just let it run out. If I could go back 24 hours and change this I would. :rolleyes:

·
Still comfortably numb
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I feel your pain VSH, however, selling a bike & leaving a policy covering that bike carries it's own risks I believe.
Hi Phil. Yes I'm sure you're right .A classic lose/lose situation.

Grrrr. :angry4:

Wicky said:
Did you make sure the buyer had insurance etc before he bought it as theoretically...
Ouch, thanks for that - a very sobering thought.

I couldn't help but notice that old familiar phrase in the source "Under European law...." Don't ya just love it.

So, not surprisingly then, you're bolloxed if you do, and possibly completely polaxed if you don't.

Arse !

Cheers, Shorty.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yeah like DVLA & road tax they must be creaming it in (or at least partially subsidising the computer systems needed to keep track of all this)

This time last year I remember getting hit with a £40 insurance admin fee to add my newly purchased TA to my existing policy for the 2 weeks before the policy was up for renewal anyway.

So unless you buy/sell your bike at the perfect time (certain moon phase in conjuction with a solstice) someone takes a cut...

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I think you can inform your insurance you no longer own a vehicle and just let the insurance run out without incurring extra costs
I just discovered my MOT ran out last month so decided to check all my vehicles on line and found the same bike had no insurance so when i looked into it they mixed up the registration number they had it ending BBE and should have been EBB anyhow they tried to charge me £10 for their mistake because the insurance has been running for a couple of months until i convinced them otherwise and then tried to convince me to reduce my excess by paying £37 extra and was very insistent about it. First time I've been with these and going to change insurance companies next year.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I'm with Hastings. They are an absolute nightmare to get hold of, you can wait half an hour on hold before you get through to someone and they "auto-renew" your policy every year. You have to specifically tell them to cancel the auto renew. Yes they are cheap, maybe that's why they can offer cheap policies as they fleece you in other ways?

My Bedford and Land Rover are insured with Footman James. When I sold the Land Rover and called them to cancel the Land Rover on the policy, they SENT ME a cheque for the remaining monies... Couldn't believe it. Thought I was going to get shafted.... Footman James are pretty good. Never claimed off them but you can always near enough get straight through to an adviser on the phone, unlike Hastings 30 min wait on hold....

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
WOW shorty is still about:thumbup::toothy10:
How you doing dude,its been a long time. Things here have changed a bit.This site has gone all technical so the social part has migrated to the Big Trailie forum. Pop in when you fancy a chat:cool:
How you been? Still got lots of pics of our little trips :toothy10::toothy10:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have had similar issues with insurance and was informed by someone in the know to just let the insurance run as when the new owner insures the vehicle then it automatically cancels any pre existing insurance. They all tell you not to do this as its a way of getting easy money from people. At the end of the day if you have a signed bill of sale, receipt then this is where your ownership of the vehicle ends and no matter what the new owner does with it, it is nothing to do with you. If this were not the case then the police would be chasing previous car owners all day long with the amount of uninsured drivers on the road today. In twenty years the only hassle I've had is when my missus thought she was being clever by claiming back the premium on a sold bike and they wanted £70 off me to cancel it. Needless to say I went ballistic with them and her and a very angry phone call later told them to continue the insurance which they tried every which way to get out of, claiming fraud etc.... It's the same with convictions on your licence. They already know through the data base but they want you to lie about it so your insurance is invalid. They are all c**ts I tell you!!!:blob7:

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
I have had similar issues with insurance and was informed by someone in the know to just let the insurance run as when the new owner insures the vehicle then it automatically cancels any pre existing insurance. They all tell you not to do this as its a way of getting easy money from people. At the end of the day if you have a signed bill of sale, receipt then this is where your ownership of the vehicle ends and no matter what the new owner does with it, it is nothing to do with you. If this were not the case then the police would be chasing previous car owners all day long with the amount of uninsured drivers on the road today. In twenty years the only hassle I've had is when my missus thought she was being clever by claiming back the premium on a sold bike and they wanted £70 off me to cancel it. Needless to say I went ballistic with them and her and a very angry phone call later told them to continue the insurance which they tried every which way to get out of, claiming fraud etc.... It's the same with convictions on your licence. They already know through the data base but they want you to lie about it so your insurance is invalid. They are all c**ts I tell you!!!:blob7:
I suggest you have a read of the two links that Wicky posted up above.

I have let policies run in the past but won't be doing it again!

Phil

·
Registered
516 Posts
When i bought my A/T i insured it with Bennetts,paid the money and thought that was it.A couple of weeks later they sent me a letter saying that they were going to cancel the policy as the bike was also insured my someone else (previous owner),he had forgot to cancel the insurance when i bought the bike.Frantic phone call to him to ask him to cancel it A.S.AP. which he did pdq.If i had lost his contact details etc or lets say he had left the country i don't know what i could have done.I pay my insurance dd monthly so my thinking is that if i did have to cancel early i just stop paying the dd and won't have the penalty of losing some of my annual premium if i'm over 6 months into it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hastings add a little extra on if you were not BORN in this country so when doing comparison sites if you were NOT born in the UK you MUST declare it or they will wriggle out of paying out if the need arises. My car insurance increased by £130 pounds even though I have lived in the UK most of my adult life Bike ,Car and lorry licence all done in this country. Argued a lot with this and they would not back down. RASCALS .....:pain10::pain10::pain10:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts