Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started a full rebuild after an accident two weeks ago....:(

Was on the way home from Donegal back across the province to the East Coast when the worst occurred. Was turning into a tight left hand bend at 35 mph when the back end started to come out from under me, managed to recover the slide only for the old girl to highside me off, after a short flight and a rough landing (thankfully nothing was coming the other way) reality set in that the AT was going to need a bit of TLC.

Managed to get her home and started to list the damage. It could have been much worse but for thre Motech crash bars which took most of the impact and slide.

Damage so far: All on RHS, Both indicators, Mirror, cracked upper fairing, scuffed lower fairing, bar ends, scuffed exhaust, bent rear rear pedel, split bellypan and bent footpeg including mount.

The bike is a 1994 RD07 with 72k on the clock. In original trim so was in need of a good refurb just wasn't expecting to do it at this time of the year.

Two weeks to strip it down to bare frame (going to repaint) and the first real concern. The crash bars really did take the impact, bending and twisting in the process so that it was pushed back against the fairing. When I was taking them off I noticed that the U peice that holds them in place has dug into the frame,

Bikes 124.jpg

Not sure weather to leave this as is or repair, don't think that this will effect the frame strenght enough to worry about.

Any suggestion? :)

This is her current state, don't expect a quick recovery time is limited...........

Bikes 091.jpg

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Don't think the marking from the U bolt is going to be a problem, heard you had an off from Ian who lives round here, glad your able to write about it.

If you want the details of a good powder coater I can send them to you ;)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Is there a frame straightener nearby? I had min checked and it need straightening. They will want a rolling chassis though, Engine back in, wheels on. Then you will have to take it all off again to get it painted/powder coated.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
its good to hear your not to bashed up:thumbup:

Is that a crack I can see just above the 'U' bolt?

No its the imprint of the u bolt , its unsuprising on a bike with 72 k , vibrations over that time will cause the imprint so nothing much to worry about , enjoy the rebuild i love this stuff ,:thumbright:

·
17,680 Posts
Is there a frame straightener nearby? I had min checked and it need straightening. They will want a rolling chassis though, Engine back in, wheels on. Then you will have to take it all off again to get it painted/powder coated.
i think its a fair bet he would notice the difference riding the bike again , if the frame was bent:thumbright:

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Neal, is that my old bike :(

Sorry to hear you had an off, I'm really pleased you're OK though feller. The time you spend rebuilding it will pay off I'm sure.

No its the imprint of the u bolt , its unsuprising on a bike with 72 k , vibrations over that time will cause the imprint so nothing much to worry about , enjoy the rebuild i love this stuff ,:thumbright:
Well not quite the full 72k Chad, I think I put 'em on with about 40k on the clock. It sounds like they've done the job too!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes Jim it is your old bike..... Sorry, didn't mean to do it :( She was running really well and yes the crash bars certainly did their job, they took a right knock and twisted a bit but the damage would have been ten times worse without them.

The general concensous is that the frame is ok, (Thanks Chad) I rode the bike 80 miles home and it felt fine then, so I'll not worry about it.

I had a couple of days off work over Easter so the strip was quick, quicker I fear than the rebuild.
Got all cleaned down over the past week, going to powder coat the frame, possibly the swing arm, got replacement rims courtsey of Thunder a while back when he was mid project and will get them spoked onto the existing hubs.

Was sat with my son earlier discussing final paint jobs, verdict very much out on retaining the original or going for something new. I like the original colour but the tank and a couple of the side panels have deep scrapes in them from the off. The front peice needs a small bit of plastic welding, nothing major but will need to respray it so the original graphics will have to come off. Think I'll put that decision off until closer to the time. Ny son wants a race rep scheme, sometime with lots of stickers, we'll see :confused:.

The bike needs a couple of new parts and if the budget allows maybe I'll treat it to a touch of Rugged Roads bling.

Regardless it will recieve some TLC and be back on the road some time this summer ;) Progress will be slow but I'll keep all informed and will no doubt need some questions answered along the way. :thumbup:

Last picture of it still intact, a couple of hours before in Glen Veigh, Donegal.
Bikes 042.jpg

·
Registered
585 Posts

I didn't mean the groove left by the 'U' bolt I was referring to what looked like a crack between the two welds above the threads on the 'U' bolt.

·
17,680 Posts
I didn't mean the groove left by the 'U' bolt I was referring to what looked like a crack between the two welds above the threads on the 'U' bolt.
i see what you mean , i would say its the way the flash makes the plate thats welded to the frame look like a crack due to the shadowing:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No it's not to late, was planning to weld over it and have that in hand, the crack is just the flash, the frame wasn't cleaned yet and the crack is where the dirt has been swiped away........ As I said, it will be a slow return for the old girl. :(

·
17,680 Posts
No it's not to late, was planning to weld over it and have that in hand, the crack is just the flash, the frame wasn't cleaned yet and the crack is where the dirt has been swiped away........ As I said, it will be a slow return for the old girl. :(
ya cant rush perfection:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Yup slow and steady! No rush, no fuss. :thumbright: Just take loads of photos and use the parts fiche when the time comes to put back together! Drop me a PM if you need it e-mailed.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
While I accept you can see it better in the flesh it deffo looks like a crack through the weld for the bracket onto the main frame down tube, I'd be tempted to get some NDT spray from a fabricators, or weld shop and check it all around that area anyhoo, if the weld has "peeled" then it would be easy enough to grind out the weld and re-weld to effect a repair.

To fix the dinge from the U-bolt I'd cut a piece of 3mm thick plate to cover it with an inch or two overlap and get it welded over the dinge, or better still get a fabricator to press a shallow U-section from plate so it covers a bit of the sides too.

Obviously the fact that it's taken a whack and is at an engine mounting point it will see a bit of loading, you may struggle with insurance if it's not properly repaired, my first Versys was written off for a much smaller crashbar into the frame dinge than that :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts