Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I had my first accident on a bike today. Luckily nothing serious (could've been much worse).

I was riding home, driving through a small city (so 50 km/h). I'd just set off from a traffic stop, suddenly the Golf V in front of my stood on the brakes (hard!!).
I braked as well, but I knew I couldn't make it. My rear wheel was locking up ( I was braking onto some road markings and need a new tire badly). So I swerved to the left (incoming traffic), trying to keep the bike rubber side down while doing so.
Success, I thought! :angel9: Bang, I heard! :toothy9: While the bike cleared the car neatly, my Givi sidemounted hardcase didn't quite fare so well. I just clipped the left wheelarch of the Golf with my right Givi. I felt a little shudder but remained upright.

The man in the Golf was quite relaxed and said to me: "I saw you coming there wasn't anything you could've done more to avoid it. **** happens."
Turned out he had to make an emergency stop because the car in front of him did too (that guy didn't see a car broken down in the road until the last moment). We swapped insurance info and said goodbye, all in a friendly and calm manner (which was rather odd, as I clearly had some adrenaline going, yet never have been so calm in my life :cool:
The damage was all in all rather light: a badly scuffed sidepanel on the car, my case badly cracked at the rear mounting point and a deep gash in the lower front corner. No damage to the mounting frame or bike that I can see.

So... Any tips on resin I could use to repair/ fill up the cracked plastics on the case?
Do I need to check other things on the bike that could've cracked under pressure?
And yes, I am going to change the rear tire right away.

Alternatively, are there any recommandations for (affordable!) aluminium cases that I could easily mount to my RD03, I rather fancy the look and I the Givi is no longer waterproof that might just be the catalyst I needed :p

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Firstly, glad you came out unscathed

Regarding the panniers there's plenty out there, it all depends on how much you want to pay, how much you want to carry or how strong you want them to be. You may get away with the standard rack mountings or you may need to buy different racks - some poeple have used ex army ammunition boxes, that can be picked up at low cost and they look quite good too

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
The good thing is you are OK and the damage caused can be touched up and forgotten about

the other good point with your incident is the GIVI boxes gave way and crumpled if you had had rigid boxes on the shock would have been transferred to the next weakest bit,

SafeRidin'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts