Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New boy,well old boy,but new to forum, Been watching for a while now and seen some good problem solving. Can anyone help me with my problem. Got the front end striped down,got a drift and been braying seven bells out of the inner lower race . Something solid in there and i was knocking lumps off it before the race came out,oops. what have i done wrong? Thanks for any help. Oh hello by the way.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hiya :). On the transalps there is no real lip between the bearing race and the edge it locates against, so you were probably knocking lumps out of this locating feature. Hopefully there's enough left for the new race to locate properly. Before you put the new race in I would advise ensuring there is a couple of slots in the locating feature so you can change the head bearing easier next time.

Normally you'd weld a blob to the old race, then use that blob to locate a drift and knock the race out that way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jarl,luckily i used a pin punch to get the bottom race out so i`ve got four half moon shaped grooves which i hope will clean up and still leave a slot for next time. Kept stepping over my welder and it never occured to me to use that so thanks again for that,still got the top race to do so will give that a go,now do i remove the fuel tank? or just leave it well covered up,health and safety dont you know. thanks Fruddy.

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
As Jarl said.
From a post I did sometime ago, thought I took pics but obviously not.....

"Just had to replace lower head bearings on my 01 650 for MOT.
This turned out to be major hassle. The lip of the outer race in the head tube that you can hit with a drift is only about 1mm.
Also the recess in the head tube is machined off-centre so the lip is not accessible on the whole circumference.
The last bearing I replaced was on a Super Tenere and was much easier as the outer race was more substantial and accessible. The Honda one is pretty flimsy.
Note that the substantial ridge in the head tube is not the race but your frame - don't start whacking it, examine your new parts for guidance.
I also found the best way to remove the inner race from the steering stem was to grind it CAREFULLY until it popped.
The silver lining was that the complete bearing and dust seal was only £18.50 delivered from David Silver Spares."

From memory I ground an old long reach screwdriver down, narrowing it so it would get purchase on the bearing race. Once it was half out I hit it so it snapped - it's not exactly a substantial piece of metalwork.

Don't forget to order a new dust seal that sits below the lower bearing. Good luck.​

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks recycler,most of the bearings i have replaced over the years could be got at quite easily, so this one threw me a bit.Replacing the original bearings with tapered roller ones from wemotoand they come with seals so its all good, fingers crossed. Thanks Fruddy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts