Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to replace the head bearings, are the TOP & the BOTTOM the same? Any advice on which is better Original Ball or Tapered. thanks folks

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi looking in tech pics bearings have same part number, as for what type to use tapered bearing of the same size will take more load but my opinion is keep to standard but a good make

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I'm going to do mine tonight and have always changed every bike i've owned to taper if they havent been fitted from standard. The bearings i've got are both the same if they fit ok i'll give you the part numbers:thumbright:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Can't remember if they're the same but I think so !!

Tapered are best as they spread the load more evenly but the quality of the bearings you buy is more important than type.

I always buy a new lower dust seal (the one with an interferance fit on the bottom of the steerer tube) before stripping the bike down as it's very difficult to remove the lower bearing without damaging this.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Can't remember if they're the same but I think so !!

Tapered are best as they spread the load more evenly but the quality of the bearings you buy is more important than type.

I always buy a new lower dust seal (the one with an interferance fit on the bottom of the steerer tube) before stripping the bike down as it's very difficult to remove the lower bearing without damaging this.
Just found that out, bottom bearing came off ok but the seal is buggered. bearings are both the same :thumbright:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts