Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know my GSA died again:rolleyes:
Now i had so much good advice from good friends on here that i just thought i post this up

Do you buy a bike with your head?? as in take into account running cost,finance......

or

with your heart??? cause its the bike you just love,you love the look,feel,ride???

cause at the mo i do not know anymore what to do as both side's have their points
so what you think??

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I think you should use both, you should however take heed of your head as all bikes are nice in their own way.
The problem is the overall cost, your GSA is a dog but it does not mean all GSA's are.
If you test ride a few different marques before committing you may find another make that gives the same feeling but is more suitable to your needs.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Now i had so much good advice from good friends on here that i just thought i post this up

Do you buy a bike with your head?? as in take into account running cost,finance......

or

with your heart??? cause its the bike you just love,you love the look,feel,ride???

cause at the mo i do not know anymore what to do as both side's have their points
so what you think??
Depends on your use i guess. I've never bought a bike with my head, it's always been my heart i buy what i want for the purpose of enjoying the bike and the riding....

Guess depatch riders would buy with their heads, as the bike isn't to enjoy as such, it's just a tool for them to do their job so it needs to not need loads of servicing, and must run for ever without failure be good on fuel and easy to maintain..

For personal use i've always thought along the lines "if you need to worry about fuel and other bits" you can't afford itin the first place. Given average mileage for bikes in the uk is 4000miles per year, It aint enough miles in my view to worry about costs

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
I would say a winter hack would be with your head and the weekend bike, lovingly polished- the heart.

Just come to biking and first big bike was a join decision. Didn't want to spend a fortune on the bike so that, if I kill myself on it in the first few months I would be content in knowing that I hadn't spent all my saivngs. The bike I chose though was with the heart. Just love it

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Whenever I've bought with my heart I've regretted it in the long run. (E.g. a BMW that kept breaking down. ;) )

Head says, "Honda"! :D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Buy another one. Make sure it has full BMW service history and keep it serviced by BMW. Follow all their instructions to the letter.

Should have a trouble free ride....

... in theory.:confused:

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
both head and heart......

Hayabusa was bought with heart, - expensive to run, draws me into much silliness and at the end of the day its a toy....

past Transalps and tenere bought using my head - gutless and slow but perfect for distance, carrying kit and keeping my licence...

Tiger 1050 - both head and heart. Fairly sure that I'm going to get another one once the tenere goes.....

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
As mentioned the heart chooses the bike but the Head must be used to check the bike will be suitable.

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depends on your use i guess. I've never bought a bike with my head, it's always been my heart i buy what i want for the purpose of enjoying the bike and the riding....

Guess depatch riders would buy with their heads, as the bike isn't to enjoy as such, it's just a tool for them to do their job so it needs to not need loads of servicing, and must run for ever without failure be good on fuel and easy to maintain..

For personal use i've always thought along the lines "if you need to worry about fuel and other bits" you can't afford itin the first place. Given average mileage for bikes in the uk is 4000miles per year, It aint enough miles in my view to worry about costs
This is my problem
I need to commute on my bike but i do all other trips on it as well

I would say a winter hack would be with your head and the weekend bike, lovingly polished- the heart.

Just come to biking and first big bike was a join decision. Didn't want to spend a fortune on the bike so that, if I kill myself on it in the first few months I would be content in knowing that I hadn't spent all my saivngs. The bike I chose though was with the heart. Just love it
HEART!

Only way I've bought a bike, even Africa Twins!

:thumbup:
I know what you mean guys:thumbup:

Whenever I've bought with my heart I've regretted it in the long run. (E.g. a BMW that kept breaking down. ;) )

Head says, "Honda"! :D
IF Honda would bring out a bike which would make me feel like my GSA i would not need to post this up:rolleyes::D

Buy another one. Make sure it has full BMW service history and keep it serviced by BMW. Follow all their instructions to the letter.

... in theory.:confused:
Should:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hayabusa was bought with heart, - expensive to run, draws me into much silliness and at the end of the day its a toy....

past Transalps and tenere bought using my head - gutless and slow but perfect for distance, carrying kit and keeping my licence...

Tiger 1050 - both head and heart. Fairly sure that I'm going to get another one once the tenere goes.....
Hmmm

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts

or

so what you think??
Most people - whatever they claim to the contrary - make decisions with their heart and rationalise/justify it with their head. Use that fabulous heart of yours Pete and be proud :cool:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
This is my problem
I need to commute on my bike but i do all other trips on it as well
Simple solution buy 2 bike If a new gs is £10k buy 2 bike @ £5k each one for pleasure, one for work......easy init:p:p:p:p

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Well I've just bought with my heart again.. I hope I don't regret it.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Simple solution buy 2 bike If a new gs is £10k buy 2 bike @ £5k each one for pleasure, one for work......easy init:p:p:p:p
Was thinking along similar lines... Get an old indestructible K75 for the commute, they can be had for pennies anyway, and keep the A as the weekend bike.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts

Don't listen to Sean. He was only about 2lb when a baby and look at him now:D

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Had the same dilemma when buying Nessie. As you can read here opinion was vastly in favour of the heart :love9:. And, as you know, I went with it and I've not regretted it for a moment. :love4:. But then, Nessie isn't a BMW :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts

I tried that... didn't work. :mad:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Bit of both.

I tend to narrow down my choices with my head, but my heart usually has the finally say,...

...unless my heart clearer has its head up its arse and my head, with a heavy heart, must point out that level headedness also has a part to play, hoping my heart will heartily agree, so they might whole-heartedly head in the same direction or face the ensuing head and heart-ache, heads hung low....

In other words if the bike I hanker for will be ridiculous to live with, then heart must heed head....

eh?

(note to self: less coffee on Sunday mornings)

·
White van man
560 Posts
Good thread.
I've been considering a change of bike.
I have a Trophy 900 which is an excellent 2 up tourer. Plus my Africa Twin that i've toured around europe solo.

Been considering a TDM900 as a good replacement for both. Which i'm sure it would be.

But..........

I love the riding the @, it does everything i want it to.

Heart or head. What's the answer??? I don't know.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts