Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well D day arrived, 28/06/12, Hudders rode down to my housein Leicestershire in torrential rain……fortunately for me the sun came out bythe time we were ready to continue on down to Harwich and the ferry to the Hookof Holland.
0012806.jpg
0022806.jpg
After a few beers and a bite to eat we were back to thecabin for a peaceful nights sleep (at least that’s my interpretation of it…….Irather think Hudders might have a different take on it J you’ll have to ask him aboutthat).
By 9am the following morning the ferry was docked at thehook and we were ready to disembark and make our way to the Autosleeper trainat s-Hertogenbosch (not before the dutch police had pulled all the bikers infor a breathalyser test though)
0052906.jpg
There were a few hours to kill here so justhanging around and drinking coffee until such time as we could load the bikeson…in the meantime though we did bump into a certain Ianbiggar of the ABR forum….hewas catching a different train but we had half an hour or so catch-up.
0082906.jpg

We booked a bed in a 6 berth shared cabin, little did weknow that the cabins in question werebased on the 6 seater cabins of british trains I remember from the late 60’s wewere having trouble sitting 6 never mind the sleeping arrangements. Simoncomplained to the manager and within minutes they had upgraded us to a 1[SUP]st[/SUP]class 4 berth to ourselves (well done mate).

The train journey was better than I thought it would be (notleast because of the upgrade) there were several stops throughout the journey as the Locomotive hadto be changed at each and every border crossing, Never the less we arrived inAlessandria, Italy by 9am on 30/06/12 and were greeted by a 38 degrees heat…..unfortunatelydue to a diversion on route (collapsed tunnel in Switzerland we were informed)the train arrived in Alessandria backwards, not a problem you might think untilyou realised that all the vehicles would have to be reversed off the trailers,there were another 4 bikers on board so helping each other soon made light workof that.
Right, head north towards Milan and Lake Como…we manged tobypass Milan and most of the heavy traffic but it didn’t take long for us torealise that most Italians drive/ride without a thought for anyone else on theroad (including the police).Before to long we were on country lanes picking ourway up towards Como,
0113006.jpg 0133006.jpg
We followed the eastern shore road for a while, reallyquite beautiful before heading off towards Tirano and the Stelvio pass
J.

Tirano was heaving with bikes (turns out we’d chosen to goon the same weekend as some sort of Stelvio bike convention, As time wasgetting on we decided to find a campsite for the night some food and conquerethe Stelvio the following day
0143006.jpg
0153006.jpg
I shall continue shortly :)

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Stelvio pass was a busy old place and whilst trying to enjoy riding having to watch so many other bikes around me kinda to the shine off the riding for me, but the scenery was breath taking, unfortunate the Drift hesdcam that I had bought in January specifically for this trip refused to work so that was that as far as video was concerned........fortunately Hudders had his Go Pro with him so there will be footage posted at a later date.

0190107.jpg 0200107.jpg 0270107.jpg 0290107.jpg

Now we were off to explorer what the Dolomites had to offer and headed in the general direction of Cortina D'Ampezzo, this is one beautiful area I could quite easily have spent all 16 days here.
0390107.jpg 0620207.jpg 0680307.jpg 0730307.jpg 0400107.jpg 0420107.jpg 0510207.jpg

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Lookin' good so far Russ :blob7:

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Great stuff. On my list of places to go so following this one. Would be interested in costs of sleeper and crossing etc.

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Nice one Russ! keep them coming. :)

Andy.

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great stuff. On my list of places to go so following this one. Would be interested in costs of sleeper and crossing etc.
If I remember correctly the Auto sleeper was about £290 one way and the ferry return (with cabins both ways) £140

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From the Dolomites we head south towards Trieste and on to Croatia skimming the Slovenian border in the process
0760307.jpg 0780307.jpg 0790307.jpg

The road down the Croatian coast is really special, fantastic surface and plenty of hairpins and sweeping corners and the have a much more sedate style of driving compared to the italians ;)
0810307.jpg 0960407.jpg 0840307.jpg 0930307.jpg 1040407.jpg 1220407.jpg 1120407.jpg 1240407.jpg 1290407.jpg

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
Great stuff Russ. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your trip.

Enjoy yourselves. See you later.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
I've been waiting for this RR as it seems such a good trip to take. Looks great so far Russ, one thing I noticed is that there seems to be only one tent!! If Hudders slept in the same tent as you he deserves a big f*ck-off medal :-D

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Lovely Pictures Russ - looks like you boys had a great time

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The mighty G12 has worked its magic :thumbup:

Excellent Russ :thumbright::-D

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Pair of lucky ####'s! Think i need 7 weeks in the Dolli's, hmm.... Val Gardena. Shall have to settle with mates house in south of spain with his spare transalp & horses. bugger.

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I've been waiting for this RR as it seems such a good trip to take. Looks great so far Russ, one thing I noticed is that there seems to be only one tent!! If Hudders slept in the same tent as you he deserves a big f*ck-off medal :-D
We only pitched the one tent that night as the ground was solid rock......we both started off in the sleeping compartment but when I woke in the morning he was in the porch! he said something like F*!&%King B*[email protected]*%D [email protected] noisey, snorring arms flailing farting belching son of a [email protected] or words to that effect.......not sure what he was on about I just assumed he'd got out of the wrong side of bed that morning ;)

Stangely that was the one and only time he suggested sharing my tent

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Sorry I missed this one guys,

been meaning to bo back for years, spent alot of time on Krk many years ago when it was Yogoslavia ... fantastic place..

enjoy :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts