Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Kiwi lost in europe
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been shopping for a spare headlight bulb and came across these ...
HONDA TRANSALP Xenon Headlight Bulb H4 100w on eBay (end time 20-May-10 17:04:00 BST)

But i just noticed it says towards the bottom "not for road use" ?
I take it they are actually illegal then? do they have a maximum brightness in the MOT test?
the other option is these ones, which are only 55W but still should be an improvement over the stock one.

Honda Transalp all Xenon headlight bulbs H4 501 on eBay (end time 30-May-10 15:28:55 BST)

anyone have any of these or can recommend one or the other?

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
They are being a bit ambitious in the descriptions 8500k yeah right my HID is 8000 and a hell of a lot brighter than standard these will not be brighter than a HID.
I wish you'd said mate,I had one floating about in the kitchen you could have tried out. The "xenons" as they are described are just a standard bulb with a blue glazing but they are a bit brighter than standard and I found they don't bother on coming traffic so much,I think the xenon gas allows the filament to burn a bit brighter but not 8000k though.
There are loads on ebay buy them as a pair and you get a spare for each bike. They're all much the same some claim 6500k some 8000k but you'll probably find they're identical.

·
Kiwi lost in europe
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are being a bit ambitious in the descriptions 8500k yeah right my HID is 8000 and a hell of a lot brighter than standard these will not be brighter than a HID.
I wish you'd said mate,I had one floating about in the kitchen you could have tried out. The "xenons" as they are described are just a standard bulb with a blue glazing but they are a bit brighter than standard and I found they don't bother on coming traffic so much,I think the xenon gas allows the filament to burn a bit brighter but not 8000k though.
There are loads on ebay buy them as a pair and you get a spare for each bike. They're all much the same some claim 6500k some 8000k but you'll probably find they're identical.
Yea i got one for one of the old bikes, was the same wattage and the standard one but put out a decent amount more light.
I'm still a bit dubious about 100W though ... seems a lot.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
I'd stick with the standard wattage

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have a HID headlight at 6500k and it is alot better at lighting the road than a standard headlight. I think if it was 8000k it would be Blue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
100 watt lamps are classed as illegal because construction and use regs state set wattage of lamps allowed on public roads-prevents dazzle etc...
The other thing is that they put out much more heat and that some lights with plastic reflectors may melt-even ones withplastic outer lenses may be affected.They also run at twice the amperage and this could overheat wiring/connectors and switches-especially on older bikes.Ideally a lamp of this rating should be run via a relay and uprated wiring.
But in the past i have run cars / vans with H4 lamps from Halfords with ratings of 100w main and 80w dip with no prob-but you pays yer money......
Increase in light output was definately worthwhile though!:sunny:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do not use 100w bulbs as your headlight will be overheated and your wires may melt. Heat can sometimes be a real problem with high watt bulbs, on some bikes.
Avoid having a bulb over 55 watts burning when sitting in traffic.:thumbup:

Use relays for your headlight with the OEM bulb if you want more light and don't want to upgrade to HID.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would like to point out, that unless a bike (any bike) had Type Approval with a HID lighting system, it will be illegal if you fit one. But dont let me stop you cause they are brilliant (no pun intended)

·
Registered
779 Posts
I find it slightly entertaining how people with HID's are calling 100W bulbs illegal.... pot, kettle? :)

I'd go for a 80/100W myself over an HID. Much less chance of getting done, and better for oncoming drivers because the reflector still maintains the cutoff because you're using the light source it's designed for rather than one that's completely different. I had a poke around and would personally recommend one of these if you find you're not getting enough light on the road.

Edit: Forgot the most important thing BY FAR. DO NOT get blue bulbs- there are a few reasons. Firstly, blue light scatters more. This means more glare for other drivers, less light on the road for you, and less light reaching your eyes. When it rains, this problem gets far worse.
Secondly, to make the light look blue, the non-blue light must be filtered out, letting less light get to the road. You can't remove some light and have a brighter bulb...
Finally, your eyes are less sensitive to blue light, so you can't discern objects illuminated by it so well. Normal unfiltered bulbs, whilst not as 'cool' (mate, innit...) as blue bulbs, are fitted stock to every single vehicle sold with incandescent bulbs for a reason.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I've always thought that the 8000k or 8500k references were talking about colour temperature (ie if it looks blue, white or yellow) and have nothing to do with how much light the bulb actually puts out.

feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi WHYNOT,
For a few months now, I've been using the 80/100W bulb.
No relays or wires were replaced- Everything standard.
Major improvement in visibility, no impact on bike's electrics.
(TA 600 '96)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts