Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently hardwired my Autocom to the @ and fittted the headset inside my lid - I was having serious issues with the supplied earphones :(

I have a Shoei XR1000 which is a pretty snug fit (I like it that way) and after about 20 miles the headphones were starting to hurt my ears - not noise, but just pressing against them.

After perusing various forums and in particular the advrider forum I came across these:

Shure E2C In-ear Sound Isolating earphones.

What a revelation - because they are sound isolating they solve the problem of windblast noise, and the sound they reproduce from my ipod and Autocom radio is fantastic. :D

They come with 3 versions of ear plug in 3 different sizes - so you have 9 options to get a great fit. I use the mouldable foam version and even after a 170 mile trip I couldn't feel them in my ears.

I'm just so chuffed that I can enjoy peaceful riding painfree now :D :D :D

I'm not a big fan of the usual supplied 'in-ear' phones, as they just make a loud tinny sound that's more annoying then musical - but these things ROCK :headbang: :headbang: - literally. I am amazed that such a great sound comes out of something so small :!: :!:

Oh, and while I remember - the setup for Autocom is straightforward:

• Keep the micrphone installed in your lid.
    Remove the two earphones
    Purchase part# 1187 from Autocom (adapter cable)
    plug in your new earphones.

That's it - nice and simple.

Anyway, enough rambling.......I'm just so wrapped that I've found a really fantastic solution to my problem, I just felt like sharing :D

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I've heard other good reports about these. I believe they aren't cheap! And I expect Autocom charge a bit for the adaptor? At least you have a solution that should work for years to come.

I believe that when purchasing the Shure earphones you have to be careful to order ones with the right impedence. Any information on that?

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I paid £45 including shipping for a brand new set from Ebay US.

You can get them in the UK for £70 + shipping from various places.

I'm not aware of any impedance issues with selecting the right version.

Mine are the base level - E2C, and they go up to E5C but these are getting on for £400 :!: :!: :!:

They do a gaming version of each one as well - but I'm very happy with my basic model. I think the higher up the range you need to be a professional studio musician to appreciate them.

Here's the link to the Shure UK website.

http://www.shure.co.uk/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/E-Series/index.htm

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry - forgot to mention the Autocom lead part#1187.

£20.00 from Infinity Motorcycles.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
E2c - 16 Ohms
E3c - 26 Ohms
E4c - 29 Ohms
E5c - 110 Ohms

Maybe you'd better find out what the Autocom can handle. It would be a pity to burn it out through extended use of wrong-spec earphones.

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I phoned Autocom before I bought the Shure earphones, just to check that they would be compatible.

Autocom said that any of the Shure range would be fine, as would the Etymotic range :D

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I also have a Shoei XR1000 with autocom headphones and spent AGES fiddling about to get the earphones in the right place and comfortable. I also considered a replacement headset like you have now got but decided against the cost as I wasn't sure whether I would like the autocom. I know I do now and may revert to your system - whats it like with regards to hearing the traffic?

To fit the autocom earphones in the XR1000 I took the cheek pieces out, unpicked/unglued the fabric covering at the top side and cut out the foam so about half the earphone would fit in. I put a little piece of velcro on the plastic framework of the earpiece to hold it in place and another peice of velcro inside the helmet to hold the speaker against the helmet. A few adjustments for exact position and the earphones are both comfortable and the sound is coming straight into my ears. The wires go through the cheek pieces, out the bottom of them and then held in place by the whisper kit - as is the microphone. This set up is good to about 70, OK to about 85, and pretty crap above that. I've got some spare cheek pieces if ever I want to remove the setup.

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and may revert to your system - whats it like with regards to hearing the traffic?
Being that the Shure earphones are 'in-ear noise cancelling' you can hear the traffic as much as you can with standard foam 'in-ear' earplugs........i.e. not much.

Wearing my XR1000 without any earplugs, and due to the Powerbronze screen airflow, I couldn't really hear anything above the windnoise anyway, so reverted to normal earplugs which cut out pretty much everything.

Now with the Shure earphones I can hear a horn blowing, and emergency sirens (although I have no idea from which direction!! :shock: ), and of course it depends on the volume of the music you are listening to (with the Shure earphones I don't need much volume).

I would say that you can hear the engine in the background, and vehicles passing you, and if a Harley is behind you :lol:

And having no windnoise, quality low volume music and the ability to be able to hear & talk normally with the Autocom (tested up to 108mph - according to my GPS) makes riding sooooooo much more pleasurable :D :D :D

For me, these are a revelation - so I wholeheartedly recommend them.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
For the record, another supplier of noise-cancelling in-ear phones are Etymotic Research:
http://www.etymotic.com/

Owners report good performance, though I've never used them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts